Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Father's Blessing


Are you as anxious as I am to see what is to come for all these sons of Jacob? Sure, I have studied different books of the Bible but I have never read straight through. I have heard of the twelve tribes of Israel and even recently studied Revelation where the 12 are mentioned as being sealed or marked for special protection by God. Here in the last few chapters of Genesis we read about the blessing of the sons by their father Jacob or Israel. It is very interesting to see what Israel says to his sons.

First he blesses the sons of Joseph and adopted them as his own to be a part of the inheritance of the promise of God to Abraham. They were made to be the head of a tribe. Of course the blessing didn’t fall on them in the customary way. Do you suppose Joseph assumed his father was too old to tell what he was doing? Joseph even tried to correct his father by removing his hand from Ephraim’s head. Jacob knew exactly what he was doing. He was listening to God. Although Manasseh was the older God told Jacob that Ephraim would become the greater. When God chooses people to fulfill his plans He doesn’t look at what we do. It is not by status, appearance, or tradition, but He looks much deeper. He very often uses the less obvious person.

As Jacob blessed each son he made a prediction about his future. He also spoke of their past. Reuben lost his special birthright because of his past dishonorable behavior. He wasn’t left out but he didn’t receive his full intended blessing. This makes me think about the choices I make. How many bad decisions keep me from the blessing God intended for me. Our past certainly shapes our future. Like Judah, who was not the perfect son, we saw how his heart had changed. He was willing to give up his freedom to save his brother Benjamin. His past influenced his future decision. And do you know who Judah is? It is from his line that our Savior comes.

Jacob lived to be 147 years of age. He was taken back to Canaan to the be buried with Abraham and Isaac. One question I have is why were they not already back in Canaan? The famine had been over for some years, but they stayed in Egypt. God knew they would.

We have learned about many great men and women of God in our reading of Genesis. I hope that through learning about these people and their struggles that you are encouraged and inspired to maintain a daily walk with God. We will fail at times but He is gracious and merciful. He has a plan!

8 comments:

  1. Echoing in my mind is question Amy asked, "How many bad decisions keep me from the blessing God intended for me?" This is why I press on! OH! And, did you notice that it is Leah who is buried with the patriarchs? And, the Egyptians mourning for 40 days? And, the "backward blessing" of Joseph's children? (how ironic!) And, Joseph's great grandchildren were brought up on his knees....what a blessing, indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that what I am learning from Abraham's descendants is that God has a plan and no matter how badly we mess things up, it is his plan that will prevail. So the message I hear is that I need to submit to God's plan and quit trying to make up my own. I am also hearing that no matter how bad I mess things up doing it my way, he is willing an able to continue to include me in his plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bad decisions reap terrible consequences" - how many times have you heard that phrase?! I want to shout that to the rooftops to all the teenagers I know (and adults as well - including myself). But a father's blessing - how sweet and precious is that. And even if you did not receive your earthly father's blessing - well our Heavenly Father has a storehouse of blessings waiting for you.

    There is Joseph thinking his father Israel was going to make a mistake in blessing his grandsons (brings you back to Jacob and Esau doesn't it?) and yet in his old age, Israel knew exactly what he was doing led by his faithful God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard to believe that we are done with Genesis and yet it seems like we have been doing this together for years! The hope and peace that I feel because God DOES in fact have a plan that was already in place BEFORE the earth was even formed just amazes me! I cannot even begin to express how thankful I am that I am included in this incredible plan! Thanks to all of you for such a wonderful beginning to our journey together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOST OF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR FATHER'S BLESSING YET, BUT I REMEMBER MINE AS IF IT WAS YESTERDAY. MY DADDY DIED IN 1989 WITH CANCER AND HE KNEW HE WAS DYING. HE TOOK ME AND WALKED OVER THE PROPERTY HE HAD WORKED SO HARD FOR AND TOLD ME WHAT WAS MINE, I HAVE A SISTER WHO GOT HALF. HE TAUGHT ME ABOUT PECANS AND SHOWED ME ALL ABOUT THE LAND. HE TOLD ME HOW MUCH HE LOVED ME AND HAD TAUGHT ME HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THE LAND AND MY MOTHER. I AM SO BLESSED TODAY BECAUSE OF MY DADDY'S HARD WORK AND STILL MISS HIM TODAY. I FEEL THE PAIN THAT JOSEPH FELT AND ALSO THE BLESSING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sisters! I'm still trying to post my comments, so this is a test to see if this makes it to the comment page! Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Althea, what a wonderful story about your father's blessing!!!! I've never thought about fathers' blessings in this current age. What a treasure!

    Throughout Genesis, I've gained a very refreshing perspective on God's plan for His people. It amazes me how God worked through the lives of these people - the good, the bad, the ugly. AND we can clearly see that he knows them intimately and what makes them tick. Don't we all love peace in our hearts and blessings? He promises that to his children... those who trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed each day at the vast amount of wisdom this group of ladies has about the Bible. I have been studying the Bible for a long time, but learn something new everytime I open the Word.

    ReplyDelete