Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sin and Trespasses

In these chapters we have the laws and rules for two of the sacrifices listed at the beginning of this "priestly handbook" - the Sin Offering and the Guilt (Trespass) Offering.

To hear and not testify as a witness, or to touch anything that was "unclean" - unintentionally or through error - required a Sin Offering. Whether a priest or a "regular guy," or even if you were "poor," there was a type of animal that could be offered (or fine flour) to remove this sin - so no excuses could be given. The sin also had to be "confessed." In Lev 5:5 we read,"When a man is guilty in one of these, he shall confess the sin he has committed." (Amplified Bible). How often do we go before God and confess our sins? Do we come into our worship services too casually or with a flippant attitude? Just another Sunday?

The Guilt Offering (or sometimes referred to as the "Trespass Offering") was an offering which required "appropriate compensation" or restitution. If you took something illegally, or lost something that belonged to someone else, or infringed on someone's rights, then you were to repay in full plus 20 percent. (Bet you'd think twice about stealing with those added on penalties! Wonder if that would work today?) Sin always produces consequences doesn't it?

I kept thinking about the priests and how much work they had to do - day after day, sun up to sun down - and it was hard, laborious work. No wonder God provided them with a portion of some of the offerings for themselves. I bet they had muscles. Can you hear the sounds and noises - the bleating rams, mooing bulls, cooing doves, and baas from the lambs? And what about the hair, feathers, and wool flying all about? I have trouble giving my 70# lab a bath outside in the summertime - I can't imagine grabbing a young bull or sheep or goat and trying to keep them still . . .

But thank God, he provided the Lamb, without blemish, for our sins, once for all. Praise God for his blessings continue to flow.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how I smiled reading this! I was thinking the same thing about having to manage sacrificing those rams....how many times we've had pictures made with animals and how they RARELY do what they're supposed to :) I wonder if the animals were as reverent as the priests? Were there ever any chuckles? Or, did God somehow calm the animal like He did on the ark???? Hmmmmmm......

    I say all this because recently in homeschool, we talked about OT sacrifices and these questions were actually asked. Also, when "crimes" were committed in our home, we reminded each other of what the price used to be for restitution or compensation! "Talk about [God's ways] when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Dt.6:7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WOULD NOT MAKE IT WITHOUT IT WRITTEN DOWN FOR ME BECAUSE GOD WAS SO EXACT WITH HIS INSTRUCTIONS. WE HAVE COME SUCH A LONG WAY AND BARBARA'S LAST SENTENCE IS WHAT I THOUGHT AS I READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH. THANK GOD FOR JESUS CHRIST WHO SAVED ME FROM MY SINS.
    GOOD NITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered the same thing about the animals and how all of that really was to deal with. I know there had to be A LOT of poop!!! Barbara, you got me thinking about being too casual in worship about our sins. I think this is an excellent point and one that I have to guard against. I think sometimes I just go through the motions without really thinking about what I am doing at worship or really doing any self-examination of my heart and confessing any sin I need to confess. Thanks for that reminder Barbara becuase when you are made aware of something, you can be more intentional about doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well said Barbara! I wonder if, because we don't have to make sacrifices and SEE the cost of our sins that we are often much too cavalier about them. Back in chapter 1, in making the commands for the burnt offering, God specified that the animal had to be either from the herd or the flock...meaning domesticated. They couldn't offer something from the "hunt". So- it had to be fairly dear to them. This was also a public act- done at the entrance to the tent of meeting. I wonder how many nosy people walked by thinking "I wonder what they did this time..." Or maybe because everyone had to do it in a public place, so everyone had stood at that altar at some point, they all understood and it was a reminder to keep themselves from sinning. Sometimes I think we are all too willing to keep our sins, and consequent forgiveness hidden away where no one else can see it. We need to know that others have been where we are and moved on. And sometimes we need to teach others from our mistakes. Lord, help us to get over our pride enough to be willing to share our struggles with others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so important to share our struggles with others. Not only are we teaching others through our mistakes. It also helps us "not to go down that road again." We ask forgiveness, deal with it and move on (Easier said than done).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, this is a wonderful post and I also love all the comments. Great insight, perspective, and thought-provoking questions from you gals!

    I am definately guilty of going through the motions on Sunday mornings (and all other mornings). God, I pray that you will remind me and draw me to take time each day to focus on You!

    ReplyDelete