Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Kinda Reminds Me of High School English....

I counted seven promises the Lord gave to the nation of Israel should they choose to take Him at His word and keep covenant with Him....SEVEN! Guarantees of plenty, peace, victory, increase, favor, presence, and covenant grace are some weighty promises backed up by a God who has shown Himself more than capable. Certainly this would be enough incentive to chase after God and never look back? However, the listing of consequences should Israel (as a nation) decide not to hold up their end of the covenant leaves me with a sick feeling.....kinda reminds me of studying "foreshadowing" in high school English classes! God promises that if they reject the covenant promise, the He will turn against them bringing terrible sickness and fear among them. If that doesn't work, He promised to wither crops and allow wild animals to steal precious possessions, even children! If they still don't listen and continue to defy Him, He promises to punish Israel seven times over with plagues in their homes where they huddle in fear! And then, if none of THAT works, the most frightening promise to me is that He would turn against them and bring their cities to rubble, hold His nose at their offerings, and not hear their cries when the enemy takes their land!!! The other things listed in the latter verses are disturbing to even think of! The pain of lost relationship with their God would leave them with nothing short of terror in their spirits, and desperation in their minds.

What kind of a God would say such things to a people He loves, let alone DO these things? I'll tell you what kind, a God of immeasurable LOVE! A holy and righteous, just God! You've heard it said that a friend loves you where you're at? May I propose that God loves you too much to leave you where you're at! He had something HUGE for them! He wanted to shower them with blessings beyond their wildest dreams, if only they would let Him.
On the other hand....if Israel wakes up and confesses the sin among them, God promised to "remember" the promise made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Be assured that for God to remember, doesn't mean that He ever forgot...it means that He takes action! In spite of their behavior, God will not destroy them but will honor the covenant with their ancestors. Have you noticed how God keeps reminding them that He "brought them out of Egypt" over and over again??? How important this event, or series of events must be to Him! He's proving something here.....for generations to come. The final chapter of Leviticus discusses vows, dedications and redemptions. The final verse simply states, "These are the commandments that God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai for the people of Israel."......do you hear a "to be continued...." in that???

I usually ended up skipping Leviticus as a young adult studying God's word.....I guess this God of the Israelites seemed scary to me? It didn't actually fit the picture I had of God in my mind. Having read this, together with so many friends has been a true blessing. I'm not afraid anymore, I'm IMPRESSED!!! The Lord has shown to me a more detailed (dare I use that word, sisters?)..... picture of Himself. I'm so glad to have joined this journey locking arms with you on this pilgrimage. Press on!

6 comments:

  1. So true, so true Jaybrena. I never imagined that I would actually enjoy reading Leviticus! Can you believe we have come to the end of Lev. now? How exciting. I have learned so much, and as was said yesterday in a post - there are so many insights from other ladies that have had such an impact on me. It is wonderful and I'm so glad as you say, we are "on this journey" together.

    When I read today's chapters I kept thinking of "what could happen" to Israel if they did not obey and then the Holocost came to mind and that they finally returned to their own country years later. Wonder why we don't just obey God from the beginning and not have to suffer all that we do at times? We stray and sin and then the consequences come and God takes us in again and forgives our sin. What a loving and powerful God we serve. Praise His Name.

    I know there are lots of ladies that follow this Blog - please join us in posting your comments as well. We want to hear from you - you are welcome here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many times I have thought the Old Testament had a different God. As if He changed along the way. He certainly didn't. Doing this with you all has really helped me to press on for sure. I would have given up after the parting of the water in Exodus.
    As for the reading for today, God was straight forward with them. He told them what would happen if they didn't follow Him - their provider, protector, Savior. When that protection is gone bad things happen, but He is a MERCIFUL God full of Grace. Just turn back to Him and He will remember His promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading Jaybrena's post I was thinking about what she said "God loves you too much to leave you where you're at." Jaybrena-your statement brought tears to my eyes. I know how far God has brought me and will continue as I stay faithful to Him. I'm so glad God was patient and gracious to wait on me. I know that God has bigger plans for me than I ever imagined. I am extremely happy to read through His word with such lovely, insightful, and Godly women. This journey continues to draw me closer to God. I love the applications of verses to our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOD - you just completely and utterly AMAZE ME!!! I am praising Him RIGHT NOW Ladies for ALL He is doing for each and every one of us through this amazing blog!!! This blog PROVES that He cares too much about us to leave us the way we are! We ALL feel so astounded at what He has done for us through the reading of Leviticus. I DARE anyone to tell any of us that Leviticus is boring ever again! AMEN? I just LOVE you all so much!! Jaybrena - your post is RIGHT ON for finishing up this book...your insights are so applicable...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the clear back-to-back comparison of the rewards for obedience to the punishment of disobedience. Wow! Who would disobey... Hmmmm... me?

    Thank you God for your faithfulness to your promises!

    Jaybrena, great job with this post! (I love the picture) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Terry....it seemed to fit :) Angela, I'm rejoicing over your meeting with the Lord today!!! May we each be encouraged by this daily time with Him.

    ReplyDelete