Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Levites Are Counted."

"Levites Are Counted."

This book is about counting the Israelites. These chapters refer to the Levites; the priests. Like many, I would skim over this book because the names and the numbers just overwhelmed me. As I read it this time, I began to wonder why. Why did God ordain this be put in the Bible? Why did I need to read this? How can I put this to use in my everyday life?
There were so many people. Can you imagine the chaos if each one chose to go their own way and do their own thing. Could one man or even two direct that many people? No! They needed help. God directed Moses and Aaron to count the people according to their tribes, then according to their fathers. After the count, God directed them into what they should and should not do. God gave them duties and the ability to do them. God always equips us to do the task He calls us to.  So in place of chaos, there was order in the camp. God is a God of order and decency, thus he directs all things to be done decently and in order. Do we sometimes find our lives in chaos and wonder why? Have we allowed God to number us and give us our duties? Perhaps God has called you to a task, and you're still doing something else. Once we are saved, we are children of the King. Our lives are His and should be given wholly and completely to Him. (Romas 12:1-2) We need to pray and seek God's direction in our lives.(Proverbs 3:5-6) He gives to each of us at least one spiritual gift when we are saved. We need to know what our gifts are and seek His direction on how best to use them for His service.
We need the same order in our lives as the Israelites needed in theirs. As God directed them, He will also direct us if we but ask for His help. He can give us peace and calmness in place of chaos and all we hav

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight on a passage that is easy to skim over.

    Special thanks for posting so early. I have to do my reading before I do anything else or it just doesn't get done it is nice to have the blog update posted by the time I read the scripture because sometimes I don't get to read it until the next day.

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Boots, you are exactly right! This is part of the Bible that I "had to put back" because I had sorta skipped over it before? Seeing the significance of tribes and their number is something I'm very much looking forward to!

    I thought it was interesting to note that Aaron's two sons who offered strange fire were alive at the count in Mt Sinai. And that this tribe would be the least, compared to number of other tribes. It also very important that we note the instructions of how to CARRY the Ark of the Covenant....on the shoulders of these men.

    Praying the Lord's blessings for you all on this Lord's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms.Boots,I like your posts! I kept going back to my study Bible to understand the Israelites and the Levites roles in all of the counting and not counting the tribes and people. Very interesting. You are so right about us heeding to God's calling. We must have an open heart and listen to His will for our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said....Hooray, I'm back on line & can join ya'll again! (Please note a late comment I made on yesterday's reading about another interesting fact concerning the cross.)

    I can so identify w/ a tidy camp! My mind is boggled if I am in the center of chaos. That's why I just have to make my bed up before leaving the house. I like everything to look neat on the outside, but don't dare open a door or a drawer! Sometimes that is a picture of me, calm on the outside and a mess on the inside! I constantly have to focus on keeping the hidden places of my heart clean & free from sin's filth so what you see is what you get! Hold me accountable, girls! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Jeanette - I saw your comment yesterday about the Laminin...the first time I learned about that I thought I was going to go nuts!!! Is that just SOOOOO awesome or what? I learned about it through a wonderful DVD series done by Louie Giglio and cannot recommend them enough!!! I have the one called "Indescribable" based on the song by Chris Tomlin if anyone would like to borrow it.

    Ms. Boots - I loved your comment about using your spiritual gifts that God has given you. As a matter of fact, we are studying spiritual gifts in our 6th grade girls Sunday School class and actually took a 100 question spiritual gifts test today that was specifically designed for the youth. The girls just ate it up and are dying to learn about what each of their gifts means. I want to renew my enthusiasm and excitement about my spiritual gift(s)! Thanks for that reminder Ms. Boots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM GLAD I AM A WOMAN AND I DO COUNT WHEN GOD SEES HIS CHILDREN. ALL THE COUNTING WE HAVE READ HAS BEEN THE MEN BUT GOD SEES US AS WOMEN AND WE COUNT AND HE LOVES US. WHAT # AM I? I DON'T KNOW BUT I DO KNOW I COUNT. THANK YOU LORD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just be honest and say that I'm so glad that I was not part of the Kohathites. They had the incredible reponsibility of transporting the "holy things" of the tabernacle. BUT, they could not touch any item or they would die. I would not handle that pressure well.

    If I'm reading this correctly, it took 8580 men to move the tabernacle. That gives some perespective on the size and contents of the taberenacle. That number of men would fill the OH workship center five or six times. That's a lot of folks :)

    The more I read of Moses and Aaron, the more I'm convinced that they both had an incredible annointing of God. These two men amaze me!

    ReplyDelete