Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Day of Atonement

In Leviticus 16, God gave instructions for The Day of Atonement. This day was later included as one of God's appointed feasts for the Israelites (Lev. 23). Today, The Day of Atonement (or Yom Kippur) is one of the holiest days celebrated by Jewish people.

Atonement is defined as "amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong" or "reconciliation". Throughout Leviticus, we have read how people are to reconcile their wrongs with God through various sacrifices. The Day of Atonement was set apart as a special day for the entire Israelite community to reconcile their relationship with God. This holy day included specific rituals and practices. As the high priest, Aaron was give very specific instructions on how to handle himself. Under no circumstances was he to approach the Most Holy Place "whenever he chooses". He had to very carefully and thoughtfully follow God's instructions for cleansing of himself, offering sacrifices, and making atonement for himself, his family, and the Israelite people. And, as we have read before, the consequences of not following God's instructions carefully was death. We know that Aaron understood this clearly after his two sons perishished because of their disobedience.

I thought an interesting part of God's instructions for this day included a scapegoat. The scapegoat was one of two goats brought to the temple as a sacrifice and was chosen by casting lots. The scapegoat represented the sins of the people and was sent out into the desert (I presume to die) and "symbolized the removal of sin and its guilt" (NIV study notes).

When we started this journey together in January, I pulled out (and dusted off) a few Biblical reference books that I have collected over the years. One of them, "Talk Thru The Bible", states the following: "It is necessary to remove the defilement that separates the people from God so that they can have a walk of fellowship with their Redeemer." From the Old Testament, we know that the Israelites were required to offer animal sacrifices for atonement. In the New Testament, we read that "God presented [Jesus Christ] as a sacrifice for atonement through faith in his blood." (Romans 3:25). We no longer have to offer animal sacrifices, but can be reconciled with God through faith in Jesus Christ.

In Chapter 17, God forbids the Israelites from eating blood. Animal blood was to be used specifically for making atonement and was not to be used for any other purpose. (v. 17:11).

Chapter 18 covers God's instructions regarding forbidden, unlawful sexual relations and He clearly explains the unlawful relations. God warns the Israelites that these forbidden acts result in defilement, which we know separates the Israelites from fellowship with God. God also warns the Israelites that these acts caused other nations AND THEIR LAND to be defiled: Egypt (where they came from) and Caanan (where they were going). This specific sin was all around the Israelites and I can only imagine that they had become desensitized to it just as we are today.

Again, God was instructing His people to be different... set apart for Him. As Christians, we are also God's chosen people. We, too, are to be set apart for Him. Our lives are to be different from those around us. We are to honor Him with our choices and actions.

5 comments:

  1. Having grown up in Miami, Florida, I had a lot of Jewish friends and my best friend growing up was Jewish. So I became somewhat familiar with the Jewish holidays through my friendship with her. I can remember how sacred this day was to them and even though I did not fully understand its significance at the time, I knew it was something BIG for them. Now I can understand why! The Jewish heritage it just so VERY, VERY rich! I somewhat envy them for that and often when I was growing up, thought it would be pretty cool to be Jewish. That the Lord that I am also one of His "chosen" people through Jesus Christ! I have been adopted into His family through the saving power of Jesus, and thanks to Paul's obedience to his mission to spread the Gospel to the Gentiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS! Sorry, I meant to say "Thank the Lord" NOT "That the Lord". I need to go to bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a sermon on the scapegoat once. Life changing! One of the things I remember the pastor saying was that the priest did not wear his priestly clothes, but "other" clothes for the actual part of laying hands (sins) on the scapegoat. I guess with all the talk about priest's clothes lately, it came to mind. :) Good review, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post was excellent! As I read deeper into God's word I realize what it means to be different than those around us. We are in the the world, but we choose to not be a part of this world. As I live my life every day I want people to see Christ in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, the "scapegoat" pierces my heart so much more than the actual animal sacrificed. Animals suffering breaks my heart, and the thought of this poor domesticated animal being left alone out in the desert to fend for itself, suffer and die seems so much worse than them just being killed right away. If it were my goat I literally would have cried for days. But it reminds me of those words Jesus spoke in the New Testament as he was dying on the cross- "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus was our scapegoat- sent out of the presence of God bearing our sins so we can be seperate from them. Puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete