Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Time to Party


In chapter 22, God is giving instructions to the priests in Israel. Their restrictions were even stricter than those placed on the Israelites as a nation, reinforcing that their role was especially sacred. The priests were responsible for representing the nation to God, as well as God to the nation. How do these apply to us today? 1 Peter 2:9 says,
"You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
And again, in Revelation 5:10,
"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."
We, as the New Testament church, are all "priests" in that we have the right to come into the presence of God because of the sacrifice of Christ on the cross for our sins. What this means for us, is that we are to be "set apart", and we should treat the things of God as set apart. We shouldn't treat the sacred and holy things of God as commonplace. The Word of God, and how we treat it says a lot about how we feel about the holiness of God.

Along those same lines, we need to also realize that the priests were called to be pure when they served in the temple. We've touched on this before, but how do you come into worship on Sundays? How do you come into your personal Bible study and time with God at home? Do you focus on confessing your sins and having the right attitude in approaching God? People watch us. They watch how we live, and how seriously we take God and the things of God- including His name and Word. God wanted the nation of Israel and the priests to be set apart so that they would stand out from the nations around them- and stand out so that the other nations looked to them and said, "I want to know their God." I'm asking myself this question- do the people who watch me want to know my God?

In Leviticus chapter 23 we get into the celebrations. I love that after all the instructions and do's and don'ts God included some party time! This has been something that's been on my heart for a while now. God clearly outlined the festivals the Israelites were to celebrate. In DETAIL. My brain was having a hard time processing it all- I thought about making a chart and maybe I will one day- but God laid something else on my heart to share with you.

God's purpose in having the festivals was at least two fold. The more I read of Leviticus, the more I realize I'm going to get to heaven and understand things on a completely different level, and I'm sure there are reasons and meanings behind so much of this that I will never be able to grasp this side of heaven. But the two purposes I'm sure enough of to share here are this:
1.) God wanted His people to remember what He had done for them.
2.) He wanted them to pass that on and teach it to the generations that followed.
We don't celebrate Jewish holidays, and God gives no indication in the New Testament that we should. We have several holidays that we celebrate that are Christian in origin- namely Christmas and Easter. What if we took those same purposes and applied them to our holidays? How would that change what your celebrations look like? One of the books on Leviticus I read said that "you can tell a lot about people by what and how they celebrate." Our culture celebrates a lot of things besides God on Christmas and Easter. What would people learn about you from your holiday traditions?

Additionally, we could also take the opportunity to use the holidays our culture celebrates that aren't necessarily Christian in origin to celebrate some things of Christ. Take Valentines day for instance. God is love- and any TRUE love we have is made possible by God himself. Thanksgiving is a prime opportunity to count our blessings, and dwell on what it really means to be thankful. Even St. Patricks day was founded basically for a missionary of the gospel to Ireland. How can we incorporate somehow celebrating what God has done for us, and sharing that with others, into these holidays?

Last but not least, God ordained a Sabbath day. A day of rest for his people. A day of "sacred assembly." We are commanded to "keep it holy." God wants us to spend that day resting- not necessarily in a hammock on the beach or even in our beds- but in Him. It's a rest of the heart, and time to refresh ourselves after the world has taken it's toll on us over the course of the week and then prepare ourselves for the week to come. It's a blessing from the Lord and one that we should honor and respect. Many people (myself included) have to work on Sundays. I consider my work on that day something God honors and esteems- but it's still my responsibility to make sure that sometime over the course of that week I get some "rest" time in with God. It's certainly easier on the weeks I can make it to church.

God wants to be involved in the day to day of our lives. He wants us to strive to be holy in the mundane. But, He also wants us to take time out of our day to day lives to celebrate Him and what He has done for us- and pass that on to others. What are some ways you, or your family, use holidays to celebrate what God has done for you and pass that on to others?


10 comments:

  1. Oh, Natalie, I love Party Days!!! Our family made the decision when the children were very young to practice "holy-days" not so much "holidays". St. Patrick's is among one of our favorites...but, I think Thanksgiving is my personal favorite for our family! :) It is my challenge, in training children daily to remember the Lord God in all that we say and do.....to look for ways to teach them more about Him every day, and not just special occasions. But, the party days are so wonderful, and you know I believe in celebrating them if you've visited our home in any given season, hahahaa!

    I'm so thankful that the Lord blesses us in celebrating Him, but today I am reminded that He commands reverence and worship....He's worthy of it! The fun and games are one thing, but there should always be a time of offering ourselves before Him. For His will, for His way. Because as He reminds His people at the end of almost every section in Leviticus, "I am God, who brought you out of Egypt. I am God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post Natalie! God has given you such a gift of insight into application! WOW!! I often ask myself, do people see Jesus when they see me? Am I shining His light and givning Him glory with how I live my life? We will be held accountable someday for what we DID with Jesus in our lives!

    I agree TOTALLY with your point about taking holidays that aren't necessarily considered "Christian" and celebrating them in such a way that honors the Lord. It is interesting to me though that MOST of the holidays we celebrate have a Christian meaning behind them. For example, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day (as you mentioned) are BOTH based on the work done by two CHRISTIAN saints. I don't think the secular world has a clue how deeply steeped we really are in Christianity! We have been deceived by Satan into taking the focus off of the Christ-like aspect of things and putting it onto worldly things!

    Additionally Natalie, I admire you for being intentional about keeping a Sabbath day in your life even if you have to actually work on Sundays. There are SO MANY things we must be VERY intentional about or the world and/or Satan will snatch it out of our lives! Again Natalie, LOVE your post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Natalie! First I want to comment on the beginning of your post. In reading through the Bible I have been convicted about preparing to meet with the Lord. Everything becomes such a routine sometimes that we are just going through the motions. There's a song about that too. This can be applied to the holiday celebrations as well. I have family I have been praying for that do not celebrate any holidays which pushed me into a search for WHY do we celebrate these holidays that seem so worldly. I have found that they don't have to be worldly. And I love the part where you said "What would people learn about you from your holiday traditions?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, before you give me too much credit- I said I'm "responsible" for finding time to rest in God later in the week, not that I always do! :) But it IS something that is important to me and that I know I need- I feel the need most acutely when I don't have it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so being "older" I can remember the time when Sundays were special and really a day of "rest" for everyone. I hate that those days have gone by the wayside. But time moves on and things change.

    I have also been convicted on my attitude in coming to worship on Sundays - that I need to examine myself and be sure I am ready to meet with God there. The song that Kendra sang on Sunday was so beautiful, and you could just feel the calm and worshipful attitude among His people - it was almost tangible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we know who is speaking in these verses and he keeps reminding us that I am the Lord who... did all, sees all and knows how I want things done. I know a schedule was mentioned for having all this done by Natalie but I really admire these priest and the people of that day that could keep up with all they had to remember. We make excuses for all we need to do and it is such a little bit when we look at what God has done for us. As I study the bible with the blog and do my bible study about David I see the red thread that runs through the bible so well. I love you Lord and want to please you with all that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all have come to have a closer walk with our Lord and Savior in doing this, I know that I have. I am not sure how many times I have read the Bible through but I find each time I find something new. This blog is great in it allows us to see and feel what others got out of the reading. It is amazing to me how two people can read the same thing and each get something different from it and yet they both are right and each gets what they need from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie, thank you for all the thought-provoking questions. It made me think "how do I really come to worship on Sundays-aloof, frustrated, excited, etc. I needed to be reminded that I need to come into worship with a pure and holy heart. God continues to speak to me about digging deeper into His word and truly apply it to my life. Oh how wonderful this Bible study has been so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boots and Angela - I could not agree more about what a blessing this blog has been for me. It never ceases to amaze me how alive God's Word is and how it always provides us with EXACTLY what we need when we need it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Natalie! And great comments from everyone :)

    I love the "big" holidays... Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The older I get though, I have to admit that I'm always so rushed to get ready that I'm not ready in the right ways... with my heart.

    I love being with my family and am so thankful that I have parents who raised me in a Christian home. One of my favorite holiday celebrations is attending Christmas Eve service with my family. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete