Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The LORD'S Perfect Patterns

I love to sew and knit, and certainly I’m no expert, but I definitely have to have a pattern! Otherwise it would be a mess. And here in these chapters we have God’s perfect patterns for his sanctuary-on-the-go.

Moses tells the people to bring specific items that the Lord will use – gold, silver, bronze, fine twisted linen, goat’s hair, tanned rams skins, spices, olive oil. – a freewill offering – but only from “hearts that are willing.” Are our offerings always made with “willing hearts” – had to think about that one for a minute.

I once had a Bible teacher that used to say, “The Old Testament is in the New revealed, and the New Testament is in the Old concealed.” These chapters certainly are a portrait of Christ in each and every article that was placed in the tabernacle.


  • The ten richly decorated curtains and the coverings for the tabernacle made from specific materials and in specific colors. The veil for the Holy of Holies with the cherubim. We are clothed in righteousness because Jesus took on our sin.


  • The Table and the Shewbread – 12 loaves of bread symbolizing the twelve tribes of Israel. Enough for all. A place of communion. The priests would replace the bread every seven days with new bread and stand in the Holy Place and eat the bread in communion with each other – the same as our observance of what we call the Lord’s Supper – ready and waiting for our Lord.





  • The Lampstand – seven branched with almond flowers– the only illumination in the Holy Place. The lamps were trimmed with olive oil and were kept burning day and night. Jesus is the Light of the World and the oil represents the Holy Spirit.






  • The Ark of the Covenant with the Mercy Seat – a wooden chest overlaid with gold that served to guide Israel in their wanderings. The cover was the “mercy seat” and symbolized the place where the presence of God would dwell. “There I will meet with thee and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat.” (Ex. 25:22)

The “Mercy Seat” is most meaningful to me of all the items we have read about today. It brought to mind a song that the Oak Hill Choir sang recently . . .

Come runnin’, Come runnin’, Come runnin’ to the Mercy Seat, where Jesus is calling, He said his grace would cover me, his blood will flow freely, He will provide the healing, I’m runnin’ to the Mercy Seat . . .

I'm running.











7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Mrs. Barbara! I love the reminder of how orderly our LORD is! He has a plan...a very specific plan.....for us. There is a purpose for His every command, and when we cannot possibly imagine "why in the world?"....I am assured of one thing: He knows!!! Running with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading so many passages about what to do and what not to do, the request from God for offerings "from each man whose heart prompts him to give" really stood out to me. As much as God dictated the law, He still wanted their hearts to WANT to give back to him.

    I'm a very detailed person. I LOVE details. I can imagine the "team" of people who built the tabernacle with all of these detailed instructions. Wouldn't that be a sight to see?!?!

    I wonder if the Israelites were thinking, "How long are we going to be out here that we need to build this thing?" I wonder if at this point they sensed they might be in the desert for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much significance to the tabernacle that I'm sure we will never ever get it all until we get to heaven itself. We know it was beautiful, we know it was exactly what God wanted it to be, and we know it was where God's presence rested with the Israelites. I think, like you said Barbara, that it is a foreshadowing/symbol of Christ in so many ways. It is also a "Copy" of heavenly things...
    "It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence." Hebrews 9:23-24
    Bonus reading: Hebrews 9 :)
    I too, am very thankful that we have such a detail oriented God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posted by Jeanette: I too am amazed at God's attention to detail in instructing the Israelites how to build the tabernacle! And I know God is interested in the smallest details of my life......my concerns, needs, even before I bring them to Him. What an awesome God! I know that no matter how complex a situation, I have no fear because I know God is in charge down to the tiniest detail!! So, let's not sweat the small stuff OR the big stuff either!! Got my jogging shoes on, too. Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't always been a "detail oriented" person. I believe as I have gotten older I pay more attention and appreciate detailed things. God knew exactly what He was doing when He had the Israelites build the tabernacle. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WISH I COULD IMAGE ALL OF THIS AS I READ IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW GOD USES MY COLORS AND I LOVE THE DETAIL OF ANGELS AND SILVER AND GOLD. I WONDER WHEN I GET TO THE HOLY LAND IF THEY WILL HAVE A REPLICA OF THIS. IF THEY DO I WILL BRING BACK A PICTURE. JUST DREAM OF GOD DOING THIS WITH OUR LIVES. HE HAS A PLAN THAT WANTS US TO FOLLOW AND HE WILL WORK THROUGH US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! GREAT stuff ladies! You all have taken a somewhat "dry" area of Exodus and pointed out some amazing things that just really got me excited! Thanks for all of the pictures Ms. Barbara! It REALLY helps to have a visual on these items to make it more real to us. These items are deeply steeped in the Jewish heritage and their symbolism runs VERY deep. I LOVE the way you make the connections with each of the items to Jesus! You know me...love the connectivity of Scripture! Details...for a long time a good friend of mine and myself would watch for God working in the TINIEST of details in our lives. Here are just a FEW of the examples of the things He did: My friend is VERY poor but VERY classy. She needed some hose to wear to church but simply could not afford them. She got by with what she had and went to church. That morning in Sunday School, a fellow female class member was talking with her and the conversation led to the fact that she had all of these panty hose she had received from some monthly thing she was a part of and would never use all of them and was offering them to my friend. Get this - they were exactly her size of course!! One day I was in a huge hurry (as usual) and needed a pair of sock from out of the dryer so I could get out of the door. I opened the dryer door and sitting right there on top of the other clothes was a pair of socks that I could use. I did not have to fumble around through the dryer at all and the socks were mine and were the exact color I needed. I stopped right then and there and praised God for caring so much about my socks!! Are you hearing what I am saying??? The God that created this mind boggling universe cares about my friend's panty hose and my socks!!!! Details...I WILL worship you Lord for EVERY little detail!!!! YOU knock MY socks OFF!!!

    ReplyDelete