Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Math again...really???

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We made it through the third book of the Bible and God has blessed us with some WONDERFUL insights to a notoriously difficult book!! I know several of you feel the same way, but I have a whole new outlook on Leviticus now - We are to be holy as God is holy and God CANNOT, by His very nature, accept ANY sin. So, how are you doing with keeping up? I know I say this every week, but PLEASE do NOT give up! Stay focused and if you are behind, it is NOT too late to catch up! God will bless you beyond measure and speak to you daily as you continue to progress through the Bible.



We are surrounded by numbers everyday of our lives, especially in this "age of information" - statistical information, clocks, gas prices, coupons (Jaybrena :) ), phone numbers, medical numbers, and the list goes on and on. They are a very important part of our daily lives. So how can we incorporate this book CALLED Numbers into our daily lives? It would be helpful first to take a look at some background information on this important book. The book of Numbers is the fourth book of the five books of the Torah or "the Law", as referred to by the Jewish people. These five books are also called the "Pentateuch" or "The Five Books of Moses", as referred to by Christians. Essentially, these five books are a biography of Moses. The book of Numbers makes three important contributions to this biography. First, is shows Moses' unique role as the mediator between God and Israel. Second, it makes some astounding claims about Moses' character (see chapter 12:3). Lastly, it gives the explanation as to why Moses never gets to enter the Promised Land. This book also journals the history of the Israelites' journey from Mount Sinai to Canaan. As we progress through Scripture, you will see many quotes from the book of Numbers, which further validates its importance. (Summarized from notes out of the ESV Study Bible.)



The first chapter of Numbers records the census of the Israelite people. There are two main reasons for taking this census: First, to show through an actual count the fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham that his descendants would be more numerous than the sands on the seashore (Genesis 22:17). Second, it counts the number of men that were over 20 years old who could fight. This large number would aid in giving them confidence in their ability to fight in order to take over the land of Canaan. These numbers were NOT to include the Levites though, as they were to strictly concentrate on their priestly duties, not fighting.



Chapter two sets forth the guidelines for how the camp was to be laid out and the order they were to march in when God told them it was time to move. Interestingly, (and I just LOVE it when God does this kind of stuff), the picture I found of this layout is in the form of...A CROSS! That's is what is so amazing about the Bible - it ALL is about the Cross and about Jesus, from the very beginning!
This got me thinking a little bit about the "layout" of my heart. Is my heart in the layout of a cross? Do people see the cross when they see me? What about at home where we are most comfortable? Do our children, spouses, siblings, or parents see our heart in the layout of a cross? Welcome to the book of Numbers!!!
____________________________________________________________________
P.S. I am so sorry for the lateness of my posts recently, but I have had so much going on! I am still in under the 4:00 deadline though! :) Thanks for your patience!!

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, Mindy!!! Now that you and I have thrown the Math and English in the mix.....pretty sure History qualifies, ahhahaaa :) I love your intro, the picture of the cross is way cool. I look forward to learning about the numbers. So thankful for God's word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mindy. I also loved the picture of the cross as to how the tribes of Israel were assembled. I had heard this before, but your picture - worth a thousand words!

    Can you girls believe we have gotten this far and it's still so exciting! Never would I have thought that I would have enjoyed Leviticus and now Numbers (and I hate math!!). Good job Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought reading the book of Numbers was going to be boring. But again I am proven wrong. I am actually more excited about digging into this book more than Leviticus. I keep reminding myself what Mindy said to me a few weeks ago "Remember the Big picture." The whole "numbers" thing fascinates me. I am kind of partial to numbers, facts, statistics for some reason. The reading can get tedious at times (some of the names, tribes, counting of tribes, etc.), but I know God put all of these numbers in the Bible for a reason. Mindy, thank you again for pointing us back to the cross!!!! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. from Jeanette.....This is a test to see if this comment gets through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette again.....YES! I'm online & w/the group again......
    So, now let's add biology to the big picture!
    Just had to share this amazing medical info I received this week in an email:....Laminin is a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue........they are cell adhesion molecules that hold one cell to another. Without them, we would literally fall apart!! Guess what....they are in the shape of a CROSS!!! Is that not a God thing? The cross in us zillions of times. Looking forward to blessings Numbers holds for us. Thanks, for all your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am excited about having made it through Leviticus with you gals and about all the nuggets we've gleaned so far. I'm also excited about Numbers and what is in store for us there.

    Isaiah 55:11 has been coming to mind lately: "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." I get more from some chapters than others, but I'm claiming this promise.

    The details in these two chapters amaze me. God told Moses exactly which 12 men were to lead the armies. There was no guessing or asking for volunteers. God called each man for a specifica purpose... and the Levites were not included the military missions; they had their own very important jobs to do.

    Mindy, I love the picture of the cross also and now feel like I'm in familiar territory when the 12 tribes are mentioned :)

    ReplyDelete