Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Dress Accordingly:

So, I'm thinking that any one of us who has torn through her closet looking for just the right outfit for an important event will appreciate today's reading. God was very clear about what the priests would wear as they ministered before the Lord on behalf of the nation of Israel. Having just read about the incredible tabernacle in all of its detail, we now move to a section discussing the duties of the priests who serve there, and their responsibilities. Don't think for a minute that God would go to so much trouble communicating the specifics of the Tabernacle, then let them come and go as they please. We serve a God of order, one of discipline and holiness. Praise Him for it! He did not want to be their "far away" provider, protector, comforter, and friend, but wanted to come and live among them.....us.

The priesthood is discussed here in two areas, their wardrobe and their ordination service. Did you catch all those details on the wardrobe alone??? Wow! I've attempted to find a picture, just to give an idea of what we're picturing. I was moved by the references of the names of the 12 tribes worn on the shoulder of the ephod garment.....is this because the priest bears the burden of the sins of the people before their God when making sacrifices? I thought it was really interesting about the 12 jewels on the breastplate representing the tribes, too. When I think of a gem, I think of the reflection it casts. You know, we have no real light of our own, just the light reflected by the glory of the Light of the World living in us! Those gems, in my mind, represented people meant to reflect their God! Incidentally, Peter later identifies us as a "royal priesthood", the church....think on that for a minute.











































The next chapter discusses the actual service of ordaining Aaron and his sons as priests before the Lord. The required bloodshed of three animals was the major part that struck me. (My study Bible helped with understanding this.) The blood of the ox, a sin offering symbolizing the atonement and forgiveness of sin. The blood of the first ram, a whole offering symbolizing Aaron giving all of himself to the Lord's service. And, the second ram as the fellowship offering. This one was strange to me with the rubbing of blood on the ear and thumb and big toe??? Did that strike you as odd? Maybe it was because Aaron would fellowship with God by listening and doing? Whatever the reason, rest assured there is one!

I also noticed all the "consecrate this, consecrate that" commands by God. All along the passage we see these, and then all of the sudden (v.44) God says, "I will consecrate...." I was so glad to read this, because I mean really... who but a holy God can make anything holy? I don't know if that's the reason, but it sure makes me think on Him and His ways more and more.

I don't think God was ever meant to dwell with us in the tent forever, do you? I think He meant to live in and through us! What a joy to see this relationship unfold. This passage reminds me that whatever we sacrifice by this earthly body is our reasonable act of worship for our heavenly Father. That's why Romans 12:1-2 is so very special to me, I cling to it. All this detail, just for the people to worship....and mark this....on HIS terms. It's all about worship, ladies, and He's worth it.

7 comments:

  1. Jaybrena, I loved your picture and your post. I have seen pictures before of the robes that the priests wore, but never one as clear as this that shows each piece of the pattern. Like I said, I need a pattern to look at and follow, and this one was perfect.

    I did read in one of my study Bibles that putting the blood on the ear, thumb, and toe was a symbol of consecrating the whole person for the Lord's work. It also brought to mind the Pastor Search Team and the man they are looking for to bring to Oak Hill to "serve before the Lord." Keep praying for the Team and for God's man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What struck me was all the preparation required for these people to be able to worship God. God was establishing order, to keep the people from deciding to worship in their own way. Just like Jaybreena said, we have to come to God on His terms, not our own. That said, it really convicted me about how much time I spend "preparing" to worship God. The priest, the clothes, the tabernacle and even the sacrifices all had to be clean and consecrated in preparation for the presence of God. We have the privilege of having the Holy Spirit with us at all times, but do we take as much consideration to how "consecrated" we are? I'm wondering today if I'm really "dressed accordingly" to what God has called me to do. Our sins were forgiven by our great High Priest once and for all- we don't need to offer sacrifices, but what about being "set apart". Are you??
    Also- I loved that the men who wove the cloth had been "given wisdom" from God about how to do it. We think sometimes that only certain gifts or talents are needed to serve God- but every one has been given to you by God for a reason. Whether you teach, cook, work nursery, clean, smile and greet people on the way in to church, in some way or some form God can use YOUR talents for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing the plate on the forehead that read, "Holy to the Lord" could be a message in itself! Glad you liked the picture, Barbara...it was a huge poster! Going on what Natalie mentioned of being set apart, I was thinking.....we often dress to set ourselves apart FROM something........but this is like dressing to set ourselves apart TO something. Interesting. That brings to mind dressing for spiritual battle in this life, too. Now, that's a whole other dress code entirely. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaybrena, I am glad you found that picture too. It was overwhelming detail that I really wanted to see. All this reading has really brought to my mind how much we as a society do things our own way. Many people are searching for the way to worship God that makes them comfortable or fits their lifestyle or even "makes sense" to them. I have nothing against variety in worship because certainly the great Creator gave all the talents for His glory, but it must be for Him, about Him, through Him. These are just some of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing to see how all of this is coming together. Jaybrena, thank you for summarizing the chapters in the manner that you do each week. I thoroughly enjoy the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! Much better you than me on this one, Jaybrena! :)

    The last verses also were soothing to me . After all this preparation, sacrifices, and consecration, God says, "Then I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God" (v. 45). To me, this clearly reflects the sacrifice of Christ so that God can dwell with us. Salvation is a significant event not to be taken lightly. It is part of his detailed plan and requires sacrifice. The sweet result is that we can dwell with God and Him with us.

    God also says: "They will know that I am the Lord their God who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them." (v. 46) This is another facet of salvation... being rescued from bondage so that we are free to fellowship with God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the picture Jaybrena! Thanks for taking the time to find that and put that in your post for us! Being a lover of beautiful gemstones, I have always been fascinated with the variety of beautiful stones that are in the breastplate. These same gemstones are mentioned in the book of Revelation as well. There is something very pleasing to the eye and very intriguing about these special gemstones God created on His earth. He obviously thinks they are pretty cool to becuase He put them in the breastplate of the priest that would be entering into the Holy of Holies!

    It still just makes me crazy, knocks my socks off, blows my mind, is unfathomable that the God of the universe dwell inside of ME and inside of YOU!!!! There are just NO WORDS!!!!

    ReplyDelete