Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

There's a plan for your escape


God has set the stage- and now another act unfolds. It's been an interesting Drama so far. We leave "The Beginning" behind and start "The Exodus". Pack your bags...it's time to break out!!
There are approximately 300 years between Joseph's death and Moses' birth. In that time, the Israelites have multiplied from the 70 plus who came with Jacob to over 2 million strong. Memories of Joseph have faded, and the once favored Israelites are now nothing more than a threat. Pharaoh tries to stifle their numbers and kill their babies. He succeeds, partially. One small baby sneaks through.
A deliverer.
Is anyone else hearing or noticing echoes of another story about a king, threatened by a baby, attempting to wipe out a whole generation of baby boys? Then, just like here...that small baby sneaks through.

A deliverer.

Man...I have goose bumps. God is so amazing.
I could really wrap the post up there. Seriously. Sermon done. With every post I feel like there is just SO MUCH...I always feel like I'm leaving a ton out...and my posts are still too long! So, I really can't stop there- because well...there's just SO MUCH! And, it all connects together like one gigantic puzzle, still being put together. So- are you ready?? Here we go..

  • A woman successfully hides her baby boy who should have been killed...puts him in a basket and floats him on the Nile. THE NILE folks...this isn't your everyday backyard stream...
  • Who should find said baby boy but Pharaoh's daughter. Who, "just so happens" to decide to take pity on him and find a Hebrew nursemaid to feed him until he's weaned. That was a gracious gift from God to Moses' mother for sure.
  • Then, lo and behold, one of the Hebrew boys Pharaoh was so intent on having killed is raised as a grandson in his very own palace. Moses received a top notch egyptian education including reading, writing, math, geography, military training, PUBLIC SPEAKING (ahem, cough, cough)...Does anyone else find it ironic that Pharaoh was ultimately training the man who would bring his kingdom to it's knees?
  • Things start to look pretty bleak for Moses when he kills an egyptian for harassing a Hebrew. This puts a price on his head, so he flees to (ahem) the desert...where he gets a wife and makes a life. I bet at this point Pharaoh probably wondered what he'd done with Moses all these years. I doubt he ever thought that someone raised as an Egyptian prince would choose the slaves over palace life.
  • Ahhh, the bush. The bush. Moses meets God and receives his "commissioning." I love his stuttering and stammering. "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" If I were witnessing this scene, I'd look around and ask "Who else???" I mean, if anyone was prepared, groomed and set up for this Moses was. He was "the missing link" between the Israelites and the Egyptians. Blood of one ran in his veins and the culture, training, education and language of the other formed his mind. I don't know about you, but this blog has provided me the opportunity to discuss scripture with my husband more often. I was asking him about what sort of education and training Moses would have gotten in Pharaoh's palace and he listed it out for me...(I have well trained resources...:) Then he said that Moses saying he had trouble speaking was basically like he was saying "Uhh..well, I failed speech class..."
Now, seriously, cutting Moses some slack, I have to admit that the conversations between God and myself over something a tiny as starting this blog were very similar to Moses' "Uh...well, I failed speech class...". I can't imagine what my response would be if he asked me to go confront the president and tell him...well, I don't know what...but something he didn't want to hear. But, as I've gone along, I've realized just how God really had prepared me for doing this. The beautiful thing is he didn't just prepare me, but he prepared all the other contributors and you as readers. All the little "coincidences" in our lives were God working his plan out before our eyes.
We will all have a moment at "the bush". Maybe more than one. A point of commissioning. Ladies, God does not have you here on this planet for no reason at all. There is a task for you to do. God has a purpose for your life, and it may be something you think is pretty scary. But I promise you this, you already have all you need. You're thinking, "She just doesn't know me. There's no way I have anything to offer." Maybe not, but I don't even need to know you. I know the One who's asking you.
"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites, I AM has sent me to you."

What God was telling Moses was "I'm not the God who was, I'm not the God who's coming, I AM God. I have been God. I will always be God. I saw you in Egypt, I see my people still in Egypt, I was there when you were born, when you were rescued, and I will be with you when you go forward. I AM the person who has orchestrated your whole life, and the lives of millions of people, to be part of what I AM about to do right now." God ALWAYS has a plan. It's key to His "I AMness". We are still in the midst of a great story of deliverance, and your part and mine are integral to the plot. There are "coincidences" in your life that God has placed there to prepare you for something, even if you don't see it now.
When you meet God at your own personal burning bush I pray you feel the power in the I AM. I hope it gives you the perspective to see past your own shortcomings and straight to His all encompassing power and knowledge and perfection. I hope you say, "Yes. Lord, yes." It's a turning point for your life...the end of your beginning and the beginning of your end.

Go ahead, escape with your deliverer.

Amen Lord. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Natalie! Amazing how God uses those of us who feel so "unusable"!! I am excited that I have finally figured out that our Google account is in my husband's name, thus his password.......no wonder it would not recognize mine! So happy to be part of this group & have enjoyed & learned so much from the daily postings & comments. I'm enjoying this journey into familiar territory, but learn something new & amazing that God has just for me as I feed on His Word. Keep reading Sisters & be blessed. Jeanette (aka localperson (:) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, thank you so much for your beautiful words and explanations. Also - love your picture!! Yes, we all do have "the bush" experience, and sometimes as you say, more than one. I pray that I will always look and know that my God is sufficient and when He calls me for a task, then He will enable me to complete it.

    There are so many side stories to these few chapters and it is so exciting to read them with fresh eyes and a new thoughts.

    Welcome aboard Jeanette!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WONDER HOW MANY OF US FAIL TO CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN THAT A BURNING BUSH MAY BE ON TOP. TENDING THE FLOCKS WAS A JOB THAT MOSES WOULD NOT HAVE THOUGHT HE WOULD BE DOING WITH ALL HIS TRAINING AND EDUCATION. GOD SOMETIMES PUTS US OUT IN A POSITION WE WOULD NOT CHOSE TO SHOW US HIS POWER AND MIGHT. HE TAKES US AWAY TO TALK TO US AND SHOW US HIS PLAN FOR OUR LIFE. AS NATALIE SAID GOD HAS A PLAN FOR EVERYONE. IF YOU ARE STILL SEARCHING FOR THAT PURPOSE THERE ARE ALOT OF OPENINGS FOR SERVICE AT OAK HILL.
    GOOD NITE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Natalie!!! What a fantastic post girl!! I had goose bumps the whole time I was reading it! I have SO OFTEN wanted God to speak to me in a "burning bush" as I have agonized over an important decision and just did not feel like I was hearing God and which way he wanted me to go. But now I realize that the "burning bush" is right inside of me! The Holy Spirit is that "burning bush" I was looking for outside of myself! Hello Mindy! Turn on the light bulb! Does that just knock your socks off or what?!?!

    Also, the "C" word. Of course, now I also realize there are NO coincidences with God...they are divine appointments! I sometimes feel like God "sneaks up" on us with these "coincidences" and waits to see our reaction and if we give him the glory! (Tee hee hee hee!)

    There is no better place to be than working in the area that God put you on this earth for. This is how both my husband and I feel about our jobs and we actually get paid for it! It is so amazingly satisfying and I am SOOO thankful that God has guided our steps to put us there!

    Natalie, I TOTALLY understand about the length of the post thing. It is SOOO hard to keep the posts "short" and say everything you feel God leading you to say! You know what, I am so hungry for this stuff, I absolutely love it and think we should let the Spirit lead us in the length! Your post was SUCH A BLESSING in all of its length! I love you and thank God for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how many times God removes us from one situation to help us escape when we don't even know we need it. Three years ago when we were looking for a new place to live (with more open land and less traffic), I had no idea that Williamson, GA even existed. I also had no idea that Oak Hill existed. God had a plan for the Whitmores to escape from Woodstock to Williamson. We escaped from not being plugged into a church at all to LOVING our new Oak Hill family. :) God is drawing all of us closer to Him. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie-

    Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and insight into God's word. I enjoy reading all the blogs and posts each day.

    ReplyDelete