Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, February 4, 2011

"Pharaoh, Pharaoh!"

"Pharaoh, Pharaoh, ohhhhhhh! Let My people go!" was the battle cry. The Lord God had assured deliverance for Israel, and He came down to see it through. I find it interesting the exact detail God gave Moses when preparing him for his meeting with Pharaoh.....go here, say this, do this, when he says that then you say this. I'm so glad that the Lord was very clear. One thing we know, all of Egypt would soon know the God in the great I AM. Whether they chose to recognize it, is another story entirely.

These chapters cover the ten plagues God brought upon the land of Egypt for the continual refusal of Pharaoh to "Let My people go, that they may serve Me." I find it interesting that the plagues were seemingly aimed at the ten deities in Egypt. When the water was turned to blood, the Egyptian god of the Nile was silent. When the frogs came upon the earth in Egypt, the frog-faced goddess of fertility said nothing. The Egyptian god of the earth was speechless when the dust turned to lice and the god of creation said nothing as the flies tormented the people, animals, and homes of the Egyptians. (It was at this point that Pharaoh attempts to "bargain" with the God of Israel.) Bargaining didn't work of course, but as the diseased livestock began to die during the fifth plague I wonder where the goddess of protection was? Do you think the Egyptians cried out to their goddess of medicine when the ashes turned to boils on their skin? Do you think they heard an answer? When the hail and fire rained down, the goddess of sky was silent. Nothing was heard from the god of disorder when the locusts consumed everything in sight. The sun god was helpless in three days of darkness. Certainly Pharaoh, a god himself....supposedly the "greatest of all Egyptian gods", was proven powerless when his own son died in the final plague.

The answer here is that there is only one God.

I also think we should mention the continued hardening of Pharaoh's heart during these events. With the plagues of water, frogs, lice, flies, and diseased livestock, Pharaoh's heart grew hard. He didn't want to believe his gods weren't real, or that the God of Israel was the one true God. I also find it interesting that some of the miracles, the pharaoh's magicians were able to falsify. I wonder why? And, how cool that the plagues affected the Egyptians only, and not the Israelites? You can almost hear the people asking, "Who is this God?" As the plagues continued with boils, hail, locusts, and darkness, I noticed "the Lord hardened his heart" and Pharaoh would not release the children of Israel to serve their God. Finally, the most devastating plague that proved total inability for Egyptian gods to protect their subjects...the death of the firstborn children. Indeed, God holds the heart of the king in His hand! May we not harden our hearts toward Him.

There are even a few Psalms written about this time in history of Israel. My favorite is Psalm 105:14, "He permitted no one to do them wrong; Yes, He rebuked kings for their sakes, saying, 'Do not touch My anointed ones, And do My prophets no harm.'" God brought His people out with joy and His chosen ones with gladness. Oh, praise Him!

We shouldn't judge this Pharaoh.....I can't help but ask some days, what will it take for us to believe God is who He says He is?


8 comments:

  1. Recent events in the life of our family have caused me to call on God for things beyond my control and capability. He is teaching me everyday that He can do anything, and better than I ever had imagined. I'm so thankful His ways are not like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for teaching me about all Pharoah's pitiful gods...very interesting! Moses & the Israelites seem to be master WHINERS.......but don't we do the same when God delays in answering our prayers IN OUR TIMING?? Our patience grows thin & we want to quit or take over & "fix" circumstances rather than wait for His perfect timing. Obedience, patience & faithfulness bring spiritual growth & Christlikeness in us. I must remember to "Wait upon the Lord" to receive the ultimate blessings He wants to bestow. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the plagues weren't also meant to remind the Israelites of God's power too. How much had they forgotten over the course of four hundred odd years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaybrena, you crack me up! Only YOU would start your post with a VBS song! I LOVE it!!! How you related all of the plagues to the Egyptian gods was extremely interesting and something I had no knowledge of. Thanks for that! I have always found it interesting that GOD was the one that hardened Pharoah's heart. This was all to show His glory and His strength. I think we often harden our hearts against the Holy Spirit when God is trying to do things in our hearts and our lives as well. Great insights and great post Jaybrena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mindy, sing with me!!!!! :-) My mom and I have had conversations about this whole "God hardening Pharaoh's heart" thing. There's so many aspects and questions to life, it's where God's perfect will and human's free will collide! I heard a guy say one time that God is like a GPS, if we take a wrong turn on His path, He just re-calculates. Personally, I think that's a stretch, but what a neat thing to think about! :-) A pastor friend of mine brought my attention to the Egyptian gods and I was so intrigued! I loved learning about it, too! Love this journey with you ladies <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. LET MY PEOPLE GO, SO THAT THEY MAY WORSHIP ME. DOES SOMETHING STAND BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR WORSHIP. WE ALL NEED TO WORSHIP GOD AND SOME OF OUR HEARTS ARE HARDENED. GOD CAN HARDEN A HEART BUT HE CAN ALSO SOFTEN A HEART. I KNOW THAT ALL OF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT JAYBRENA HAS BEEN THROUGH BUT THIS WAS EXPECIALLY SPECIAL TO ME BECAUSE I KNOW SHE HAD TO WORK TO DO THIS. THANK ALL OF YOU FOR WORKING HARD TO GET THIS BLOG DONE AND TO KEEP IT GOING. KEEP UP THE COMMENTS BECAUSE I ENJOY THEM.
    GOOD NITE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Althea, I couldn't have said it better myself. I am very glad that God can soften our hearts in time of struggles and/or trials. God really does have our best interest at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at Pharaoh and the mental turmoil that he must have been going through during these days. I would like to think that just the first plague would have been enough for me to do yield to God's request (via Moses). But, I know my heart can be subborn too. I wonder if Pharaoh didn't want to let the Israelites go because they were helping to build his kingdom.

    Moses is clearly being used as God's vessel. I also think it's interesting that God allows Moses to be like God to Pharaoh and Aaron speaks for Moses as a prophet. I'm reminded of how God sent Jesus to speak directly to us 2000 years ago. Now, we have the awesome privilege of being God's vessels on earth and that we have the Holy Spirit to guide us in speaking to others about God. Over and over, Moses did what God commanded him to do. It was not his responsibility to change Pharaoh's heart. That was God's concern.

    ReplyDelete