Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Giving of the Law

God is so amazing and such a mystery. As I read through these verses I want to imagine being there as one of the Israelites. I want to see the amazing things they saw. The image of Mt. Sinai had to be incredible and frightening at the same time. Before the Lord came he gave specific instructions for His people, to prepare them for this special day. One thing that stuck out to me about their preparation was that they were to wash their clothes and be consecrated. We must prepare ourselves to meet the Lord. Make an intentional act of dedication to Him. I have also read that the washing of their clothes was a symbol of washing away sin.

Growing up, I never really had a problem with dressing up for church on Sunday. I never really questioned it until I was older. I am not about to tell anyone what to wear to church, but how we enter a place of worship is something to think about. My point is, in our personal choice for what to wear to go to worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, does it matter how we look? More importantly, does it matter to Him? God is looking at the heart. How do you prepare to meet with the Lord?

Mount Sinai was a very significant place. This is where God met with Moses in the burning bush and this is where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments.
The first four commandments tell us our duty to God. He must be FIRST no matter what. The other six tell us our duty to ourselves and to others. The fifth commandment is the only one with a promise attached. “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Isn't that interesting?

God gave these laws to the Israelites to direct them on meeting needs of others and to guide them to a lifestyle of holiness. We should make every effort to be holy but understand that it is not by our law-keeping that earns God’s grace. These laws also make us aware that everything we do has a consequence. We should be mindful of how we treat others and how they see us.
These laws are God’s standards. Having the knowledge of it also brings the knowledge that we need repentance and the Savior! Thank you Jesus!

7 comments:

  1. With so many laws just this far in our reading, I am reminded of being so thankful for GRACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I, too, took notice of the fact that the people were to wash themselves before coming to God to worship. And, I think the most important way we should prepare ourselves to commune w/Him is to wash away the "dirt" (sin) from our hearts by asking Him to reveal our sin & asking His forgiveness. Thanks be unto God for His Grace!! (ps. Terri, I'm behind & did not know of your health problem until today! Ouch! People who have kidney stones are really sick puppies!! I pray for your complete healing.) Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that's a great point about preparing ourselves for meeting God. I am often too rushed and don't take time to prepare myself. That is definately something I need to work on.

    I love how God tells the Israelites that they will be His "treasured possession" (NIV) or "special treasure" (Message) if they are obedient. I like to be treasured, don't you?

    I come from a family of rule followers. If we know there are rules, we follow them. As I read these rules (including a preview of the next few chapters), I'm overwhelmed. I'm glad that Moses had already recruited some other judges :) The details of some of these laws are interesting to me and convey to me that God clearly knows our human nature and tendencies.

    I too am thankful for grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. I am waiting for the stone to pass and am trying to drink as much water as I can. When you think about it, please pray for a quick, smooth passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TERRY I WILL PRAY FOR THAT SMOOTH PASSING BUT I AM SORRY TO SAY I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ONE. KEEP DRINKING WATER AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
    THE THOUGHT THAT COMES TO MY MIND AS I READ THIS IS I AM GLAD I WAS BORN WHEN I WAS. I KNOW I WOULD HAVE MESSED UP BACK THEM BECAUSE THERE WAS SO MANY THINGS TO REMEMBER. I WOULD HAVE KILLED THE WRONG BULL OR BECOME FRIENDS WITH THE SLAVES. GOD KNOW JUST WHEN I NEEDED TO BE HERE AND HE SENT HIS HOLY SPIRIT TO KEEP ME REAL CLOSE TO GOD. THANK YOU LORD SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVE.
    GOOD NITE

    ReplyDelete
  6. These chapters really spoke to me. I choose to follow the rules. I am reminded of treating others as I want to be treated WITHOUT anything in return. (No alterior motives). Being caddy would be much easier. Praise the Lord for His rules and not mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post Amy and fantastic comments ladies! I agree so much with you Amy when you say you wished you could have been there with the Israelites to see what they saw. I have often greatly desired to get the opportunity to catch a glimpse of God as they saw Him. I again love the connectivity of Scripture as Jesus said that He had not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Thank you Jesus for fulfilling the law for ME!!!! I love you like crazy Lord!!!!

    ReplyDelete