Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, January 31, 2011

We're moving... TO EGYPT!!!

Most of us are familiar with the Israelites' Exodus from Egypt after many years of oppressive slavery. Have you ever wondered how they got there in the first place? Admittedly, until reading the story of Joseph's family reunion, I have never really thought about this. Soon after a series of God-ordained meetings between Joseph and his brothers, Jacob packed up and moved to Egypt. He took ALL of his family and possessions in hope of seeing his beloved son Joseph again. I presume he was also hoping for Pharaoh to deliver on his promise to Joseph for "the best of the land of Egypt" and that his family would "enjoy the fat of the land."

I encourage you to spend a few minutes looking at a map of Jacob's journey from Canaan to Egypt. The map shows the likely Exodus journey hundreds of years later, but you can also trace Jacob's journey from Hebron to Beersheba to Goshen. To look at a map of the current Egypt and Israel may further bring the story and journey to life. These were real people and are real places!

Toward the beginning of Jacob's journey, he arrived in Beersheba and offered sacrifices to God. Through this specific scripture (Gen 46:1), I am reminded to worship God as I go. "Go" can be to the grocery store, to church, to help a neighbor, while cleaning the house, or as I'm moving my family from one city to another. All too often in my check-list life, I think, "If I can just get these chores done, I can sit down and be quiet with God." Does that sound like Martha or what? (I am so much like Martha!) I know this is a wrong, self-sufficient mentality and I can learn from Jacob who started his journey to Egypt by worshipping God.

I think it's very interesting that through the famine, a Hebrew guy who was Pharaoh's right-hand man, gave food to the Egyptians in exchange for their land. Joseph was essentially helping to build Pharaoh's empire. In verses 47:20-21, we learn that "Joseph bought all the land in Egypt for Pharaoh... and Joseph reduced the [Egyptians] to servitude." In contrast, the Israelites acquired property , were fruitful, and increased in number. This was God's promise. In just a few short chapters from now, the situation drastically changes and the Israelites become the enslaved. We will also continue to read that regardless of the situation the Israelites find themselves in, God is faithful to His people and keeps His promises!

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing, how God used Joseph. I love the maps Terry, that was certainly eye opening. We see the route the Israelites might have taken- instead of wandering- some 400 years later. Did you notice the significance of Beersheba? That was where Abraham made the covenant with the Philistines, and God appeared to Isaac there as well as Jacob here. I also love that God is basically telling Jacob that it's ok to go. Remember, God had promised that land he was already living in to his family and descendants. I can imagine Jacob was a little torn about leaving- but God reassured him that this was also part of his plan. How amazing is that? Our God doesn't want to leave us "wondering"- or wandering- for that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry for such amazing insight. I have been so blessed and stirred by all of the blogs these few weeks - and we are just begining. It is so refreshing and exciting. Each day I can't wait to see "who says what." I have learned so much.

    The phrase that Joseph "wept for a long time" or as one translation said "for a good while" over seeing his father just got me! Can you imagine the joy they both felt? In years past my family moved more than ten times, and I still remember the feelings I had when we would go "home" for a visit. Such comfort to be in the arms of your father - even when you are an adult. And what can compare to the "arms of God" when our hearts have been broken or hurt as well?

    I loved the maps too. That's a long journey - and in wagons with little children and babies. Can you picture it? Glad it wasn't me making that trek. But I'm sure for Israel at least knowing his son was at the end of the journey made it fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've studied the story of Joseph on two occasions, and even now I find things I missed before. The Word is so rich, isn't it?!?!! As Terry drew my attention to, this time I noticed that Jacob and his family went to Egypt (like 70 people) and were actually rewarded for being despised shepherds...given land all their own in Goshen, even gave them the royal cattle?...where they "multiplied exceedingly". The Egyptians were content to sell/trade all they owned just to live through the famine. It appears that Jacob (ironically) builds Pharaoh's kingdom...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was evident in Joseph's life that he did strive to follow God. He could have become bitter and angry at what his brothers did to him. Nope. He truly forgave his brothers for what they did (ok, he did disguise himself for a while), and Joseph turned his blessings into blessings for his brothers, father, and many other family members. Oh, to have that kind of compassion. Lord, please help me to turn the other cheek in times when people do me wrong. I continue to learn all things are possible through God's strength and power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff ladies!! Terry, I loved your point about worshipping God as you "go". What a fantastic thing to keep in mind for all of us everyday! There is so much we can do for the Lord in the details of our everyday lives. One Bible study I was in (and I cannot remember which one to save my life!) taught that when Jesus commanded us to "Go and make disciples of all nations", the word "go" has the meaning of "as you go along on your daily routine". How cool is that? Jesus did not necessarily expect us to go across the world to share the "Good News" (although that is part of the commandment too!, but just to share with those we come into contact to everyday...at school, at the grocery store, the gas station, or the post office. When you serve a God that is as amazing as ours is, even the ordinary becomes "extra"ordinary!

    ReplyDelete