Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

From the Pit to the Palace



The story of Joseph is AMAZING no matter how you look at it! In today’s reading, God’s hand is SO CLEARLY evident. Joseph finds himself in prison where he receives critical experience for where God is going to be taking him. This chapter also makes it clear that only God could give the gift of interpreting dreams for Pharaoh. Dreams were critical to the ancient Egyptians and often important decisions were based on their interpretation. So when the magicians and wise men could not interpret it, the chief cupbearer just so happens to remember about Joseph in the prison who could interpret dreams. When Joseph is brought out of the prison, I absolutely LOVE how he gives God all the glory for his gift when he says in chapter 41, verse 16, “I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but GOD will give Pharaoh the answer he desires” (emphasis mine). After Joseph successfully interprets his dreams, he is put in charge of all of Egypt second only to Pharaoh himself…from the pit to the palace…bam!!!! One of the things I love the most about God is that His timing is ALWAYS so perfect and sometimes he works lightning fast just because He can!! I love that!!! Joseph then very wisely handles the responsibility of the position to which he has been promoted.

Enter the wicked, jealous brothers…now they REALLY need help due to the horrible famine that has taken over the entire area. This portion of Genesis is now shifting from focusing on Joseph’s rise to his high position to his relationship with his brothers and father. Notice God’s hand again as he allows the famine to occur, which in turn brings Joseph’s brothers to Joseph in Egypt to seek relief from the famine. In the end, this will bring the twelve brothers to the land of Egypt and fulfill the prophecy of the Israelites spending 400 years of slavery in Egypt, which will in turn bring about The Exodus, one of the greatest events in all of history. Again, God’s hand so clearly at work in these two chapters!

So, what can we glean from all of this? What is God trying to say to us NOW? Here are a few things that God put on my heart:
  • God is in control of EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME!
  • God and God alone gives us all of the gifts and talents we possess and we need to use them for His glory no matter what!
  • Even though you may be in the “pit” now, you will eventually be brought to the “palace”, even if this does not happen until you get to heaven.
  • God’s timing is so impeccably perfect.
  • God is VERY concerned not just with your relationship with him, but also your relationships with other people. Remember the two greatest commandments Jesus gave to us: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself. (Luke 10:27)
  • God honors obedience…period.
So, we are at the end of our second week together and WOW is God using this blog to do some amazing things! I cannot begin to express to all of you how much my life is being changed through this journey and how excited I am about the new look God is giving to me into his Living Word. Thank you for coming alongside me and sharing your thoughts and heart with me! How are you all doing? How has this blog changed your walk with the Lord???

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post Mindy! This journey through the Bible is making me ponder issues like never before. The opportunity to read the Bible in a year with this group of ladies is a journey I will treasure for a life time. Thank you to Natalie, Amy, Jaybrena, Mindy, Terry, Boots, Barbara and all the bloggers who post on a regular basis for the wealth of knowledge which you share with us. The Planted blog is the first thing I read when I get home from work each day. I am excited to dive into the Word again. I cannot thank you ladies enough for the blog!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW WE SEE GOD'S HAND PRINT IN THE BIBLE SO CLEAR ON THE CHARACTERS HE HAS CHOSEN TO LEAD AND SIN AND BE FORGIVEN AND GET OUT OF THE PIT AND BE NEXT IN COMMAND. BUT LOOK AT YOUR LIFE FOR THE HAND PRINT OF GOD AND SEE HOW HE WORKS IN STRANGE WAYS TO GET US WHERE HE WOULD HAVE US.
    AT OAK HILL BAPTIST CHURCH DOING A BLOG WITH ALOT OF LADIES WHO DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER AND HAVE NEVER WORKED TOGETHER AND JUST MET BUT ARE ENJOYING THE BIBLE (GOD'S HOLY WORD) TOGETHER AND AT THE SAME TIME LEARNING SO MUCH ABOUT THE RED THREAD THROUGH OUT THE BIBLE. WE MUCH KEEP OUR EYES ON THE MAIN PURPOSE OF JOSEPH AND ALL HIS BROTHERS AND WHAT THEY ARE LEADING TO. OUR BLESSED SAVIOR. THANK YOU GOD FOR PLANNING ALL OF THIS TO SAVE MY SOUL BECAUSE YOU KNEW I WAS GOING TO BE A SINNER.
    GOOD NITE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mindy, I love it! Your excitement is contagious and I'm tempted to print your listed points gleaned from these chapters! :) So thankful for the life and story of Joseph....endless application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story of Joseph encourages me to no end! And, all of you ladies who read and contribute and comment on this blog have also been encouragement to me. I love being able to discuss the bible on a regular basis with you ladies. It forces me to read each section of scripture a little more closely- not to just skim it. Not to mention the accountability for just reading it! I always enjoy getting on the blog to see what new comments have been posted, or what people thought that day. And, working as a nurse- I have to work Sunday this week- which means no church. In our Wednesday night bible study on Revelation, Beth Moore is talking about how John still valued his fellowship with believers even while exiled on Patmos. Well, this helps me stay plugged in and not feel isolated in my spiritual walk, even when I can't necessarily get to church because I'm serving where God wants me. It is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am reaping the benefits of accountibility and am reading more closely than I would be otherwise! The scriptures come to mind throughout the day and a bonus is that I have enjoyed discussing some of them with my family. I'm excited about learning more about God... and am continually reminded that His ways are NOT my ways (thank goodness!). I am thoroughly enjoying reading with a fresh perspective!

    ReplyDelete