Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Losing control


I am a planner to the core. It's a nice way of saying I'm a control freak. :) Anyone else know what I mean? If so, then you'll get that what struck me most about the first verses of today's reading is not as much what IS there but what ISN'T. God tells Abram to "Leave your country (familiar setting, surroundings, culture...grocery store where you know where everything is) your people (friends, culture, town where no matter where you go you run into someone you know) and your father's household (parents, cousins, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, home...where your memories are) and go to the land I will show you.
Gulp. I don't know about Abram, but I would have asked God for some sort of map, or maybe a detailed 10 year plan outlining provisions, locations and a timeline. You know, God did the same thing to Noah a few years back. With all the detail he provided about the dimensions of the ark, he left out one thing. A rudder. Noah was going to have absolutely no control over where that massive ship went. God gave them both what they needed to know and expected them to trust Him with the rest.
One of the most common questions we all wrestle with is God's plan for our lives. We want Him to outline that 10 step plan. We think it would be easier to simply follow the steps marked out on a map than blindly follow the Maker of all that we'll be stepping on. It gives us some measure of feeling like we're in control. What we forget is that we aren't really at all- and weren't meant to be. We are just a few short chapters from the creation. God made us- our world- does He not have the ability to lead us through it?
God promised Abram he would make him into a great nation and bless him. That's not being alone and in need. He promised he would make his name great and that he would be a blessing. That's purpose and the promise that he would not be forgotten. God would bless those who bless him and curse those who curse him. That's protection. All people's on earth would be blessed through Abram. That's a legacy. God promises all these things to us- if we'll follow Him in life.
It's wasn't long into this journey that Abram met with difficulty and fears. He took matters into his own hands once- and even in that God reminded him that He was in control when He rescued Sarai from the Egyptians. That crisis averted, he faced quarelling family members and had to fight trained soldiers to rescue his nephew from his own selfishness. At the end of all this, God met with Abram to remind him of his promise and protection. And it's here- at the beginning of Chapter 15 that we meet the heart of the matter.
"I am your shield, your very great reward."
The reward wasn't the land or wealth. Abram wouldn't have needed a shield if the journey wasn't going to have some adversity. The reward and protection was the God Abram would meet on the journey. I committed to follow God at the age of 7. Since then I have certainly made my own plans and tried to take matters into my own hands more than once. I've also wrestled with God over plenty of places He wanted to lead me or made my own protection in the places He sent me. To say that things haven't turned out the way I expected would be a gross understatement.
At the same time, I don't feel that anything is missing from my life. Not because God gave me more than I asked, or because He has given me everything I want, or even that it is always easy. I don't feel that anything is missing because God guided me to places and things He knew I needed that I never would have planned for myself. God's plan for me was so much better than my own. I know that if I am faithful to Him, he will do all for me He promised to Abram. He won't leave me alone, or in need. He'll give me a purpose and protection. And He has plans for me to leave a legacy. My part is to remain faithful to the details. Details like...

"Love the Lord your God...Love your neighbor as yourself...do not covet..."
God tells us in the Bible the details of how to live day to day. How to be husbands and wives, children, coworkers and friends. If we strive to live today for Him, the days turn to weeks, the weeks to months and the months to years. God's plan for you starts with putting one foot in front of the other in obedience in the small details of your life. In whether or not to participate in a certain conversation. In how you speak to your children or husband. In choosing to help the people around you or not. We aren't responsible for the design, just the pieces we've been given. That is SO freeing to me! More than that, God grants us the privilege and blessing of being able to have a relationship with the God of the universe. What we were created for to begin with.
"Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness."
That's faith. And it's the "detail" that defines all the others. What do you need to trust Him with?

5 comments:

  1. "we aren't responsible for the design, just the pieces we're given".......wow!beautiful, insightful and so full of truth! i am going to write that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a lady who has "control issues", this passage hits home for me! Laying down my rights to the things in life that I THOUGHT were important, and accepting the "upside down" plan God has for our family has been a challenge. I love the part about the blood covenant God shared with Abram!!! This is where God promises that He will supply ALL of Abram's needs....everything that God possesses is promised to His covenant partner, little old Abram. :-) This makes "losing control" much easier for me, knowing God will provide....maybe not in the way I thought, but certainly in the way that benefits me most. He's obligated Himself! Won't you lose control for Him today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT IF WE BUILT AN ALTER EVERYTIME GOD DID SOMETHING GOOD FOR US OR MADE A UNBELIEVABLE MARK ON OUR LIVES THAT WE COULD NOT EXPLAIN. WE COULD BUILD AN ALTER WHERE OUR CHURCH STANDS BECAUSE NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE WE WOULD STILL BE THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD. LOOK AT OUR CHILDREN THAT ARE COMING TO US AND IF WE BUILT AN ALTER TO MARK GOD'S HANDY WORK,IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY BABIES HE IS SENDING OUR CHURCH. LOOK AT THE YOUTH WE COULD BUILD AN ALTER THERE TO MARK GOD'S GRACE TO KEEP THEM STRONG. OUR WORSHIP CENTER SHOULD HAVE A ALTER BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE WE PRAISE HIM TOGETHER AND AN ALTER SHOULD BE BUILT IN THE ACTIVITY CENTER WHERE WE FELLOWSHIP BECAUSE GOD SHOWS UP THERE. ABRAM WAS NOT AFRAID TO SHOW PEOPLE HE HAD A GOD AND KNEW HE WAS THERE FOR HIM. AS WE READ THESE SCRIPTURES REMEMBER GOD IS THERE FOR US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie - What a fantastic summary and insight into today's reading! Control...I have learned to let go of control of A LOT of things in my life as I have gotten older because I see how it drains energy needlessly and robs God of His glory. Please understand though that this has been a long road for me and one paved by God's grace and mercy! I do, however, have A LOT of VERY controlling people that I have to deal with on a daily basis and I see clearly the negative effect it has on them and the people around them. It is sad for me to see as I know how sapping it is because I have been there! So YES Jaybrena! I DO want to lose control TO Him today and everyday!!!! Thank God I do not have to carry that HEAVY burden any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie-
    Thank you for excellent post! I have learned it is okay to let go and let God take control of everything. If I had come across this blog 2 years ago. NO WAY!!! God has brought me a long way as far as controlling everything. I have learned to relax and let God take control of things (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete