Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, January 17, 2011

The First Geneology Lesson

How to summarize thousands of years of rich history in a single BLOG posting?!?!?! For starters, there is a little bit of excitement for everyone in these four chapters... marriage to one or two (or maybe more?) wives, child birth, a cheerful offering and a not-so-cheerful one, jealousy, anger, murder, deceit, wickedness, loneliness, and flooding.

These chapters also are the beginning the "begets" and are very thorough references for any genealogist out there. We now know the first 10 ancestors in the family tree of any one of us who is living today.
Here are the stories of three of our more well known family members...

Cain and Abel were sons of Adam and Eve. They were farmers (Abel raised animals and Cain worked the soil). They both made offerings to the Lord, but the Lord was pleased with Abel's offering. Cain became angry and jealous of Abel and therefore killed Abel. Cain then lied to God about it. How much better would things have been for family if Cain had followed God's instructions to do right? Instead of doing what God told him to do, Cain took matters into his own hands, which resulted in forever losing his brother, family, home, land, and future provisions from the soil. How much better would our lives be if we just did what God said was right? If I'm honest with myself and God, I am more like Cain than I care to admit.

After a couple thousand years of man reproducing, God saw the wickedness and corruption of man and was grieved. However, God found favor with Noah and his family because Noah walked with God. I can only imagine that Noah's stay on the ark was a very curious, tiresome (lots of animals to feed), and lonely time. However, God provided for, protected, and cared for Noah and his family while EVERYTHING else on the earth died. What a wonderful testimony of how much influence we can have in the lives of our families!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight Terry. The phrase "sin is crouching at your door" has always stirred me - if I could only remember that and be on guard! God please give us the desire and determination to follow your instructions - to the "t."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic summary of those chapters Terry! WOW! I am very sadly much more like Cain than I care to admit as well! Thank God for His mercy and forgiveness! I have a deep desire to leave a legacy to my family and friends of being one who just was crazy about Jesus and that I "walked with the Lord" just as Noah did. Lord, PLEASE help my light shine before women so that I may glorify YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful summary!! As I read through the story of Noah I thought about how God really guides and protects us no matter the situation. He really does have our best interest at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reminded that innocent blood cries out to God from the ground, and He is faithful! And oh that ENOCH!!! How he walked with God, and God TOOK him from the earth.....this quickens my heart! And have you ever thought about how many generations these men who lived nearly 800 years saw??? Brings new meaning to the words, "Let's go visit Great Grandpa Adam."! Can you imagine planning that family reunion??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM AMAZED AT HOW FAST THE BEGINNING OF THE BIBLE MOVES FROM I DID GOOD TO I AM GOING TO DESTROY IT ALL. WE ALL HAVE SUCH A SHORT TIME ON THIS EARTH AND WE NEED TO LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF THESE FIRST FAMILIES. HARMONY IS NEEDED TO SERVE GOD AND WE NEED TO GET ALONG.
    GOD IS GOOD AND I LOVE HIM FOR FORGIVING MY SINS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE RAINBOWS AND LIKE TO LOOK FOR THE POT OF GOLD AT THE END. I REALLY SAW THE POT WHEN A DOUBLE RAINBOW WAS OVER THE CHURCH ONE AFTERNOON AS WE CAME OVER THE HILL. GOD PROMISES TO NOAH STILL HOLD TRUE TO US. REMEMBER HE WILL NOT LET US BE DESTROYED BECAUSE HE LOVES US AND IS TRAINING US SOMETHING WONDERFUL. AMY I ENJOYED YOUR COMMENTS AND LOOK FORWARD TO TOMORROW. WITH THE RAIN MAYBE HOMER NEEDS TO DRAW UP PLANS FOR A ARK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I reread what Jaybrena said about Abel's blood "crying out from the ground", it reminds me that when we are wronged or hurt, God sees. We may not get to see God deal with it, but we can be assured that God will deal with the offender in his way and in his time. When we think about it this way, it is much easier to let go of the grudges that we choose to carry and that wear us down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say that I agree completely, Harriet ;-) A pastor friend of mine said that "unforgiveness is like continually punching yourself in the face, waiting on the other person to bleed." And when we "let go" of grudges, we don't release them into the universe or something.....but we let go, and place the hurt into the hands of a loving and righteous God! Praise Him.

    ReplyDelete