Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

HE'S ALIVE!!!!!

As I read these chapters, I had to think how Jacob (Israel) must of felt when he heard his son Joseph was alive. What joy and happiness he must of felt. God must feel that same joy and happiness when one of his children finds Salvation. They were dead in sin and now they are alive for all eternity.
I can't help but wonder if Joseph didn't enjoy playing with his brothers when he first saw them. He made them believe he thought they were spies and sent them back home with orders to return with their younger brother. He then secretly put their money back into their sacks. Imagine the fear they felt when they discovered it. Now the ruler (Joseph) would think them a thief as well as spies.
After their return, Jacob was very afraid that if they took Benjamin he might never see him again.When they ran out of food, he had to send them back with Benjamin. (Did you wonder why was it that they were out of food but could send back fruits and almonds to Joseph) Joseph brought all the brothers to his place to eat then sent them on their way but not before ordering their money returned along with his cup which was to be secretly placed in Benjamin's sack.
Once they left, Joseph sent his men after them with specific instructions to accuse them of rewarding evil for good. They were brought back to Joseph where he told them who he was and invited them and their father to move to the land of Goshen where they would be taken care of.
Joseph must of been reminded of God and how he works when his brothers bowed before him.God knew all this would take place and worked it out for their good.
We are now going into our third week of reading God's word. Let us remember Psalm 92:13 "Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God." Keep reading God's word and be blessed.

5 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine the emotions that Joseph was feeling during these chapters! What joy he must have felt when seeing his full-blooded brother. We know he wept and then returned having to "control himself". I wonder if he thought back to the days when his brothers sold him and felt any resentment. If he did, he was MUCH more gracious to them then I think I could have been.

    Joseph continues to amaze me. Aside from the obvious answer of God working through Joseph, I wonder how he was so wise, confident, and mature. I wonder if he had a mentor or a kindred spirit (of sorts) during his days in Egypt.

    Through Joseph, I'm reminded that God has the same craving for me as Joseph did for his brother Benjamin, all of his other brothers, and his father. He deeply cared for all of them even though his brothers had betrayed him and there had been so much time since he had seen them. What a wonderful testimony of God's love for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing this story is! Though I don't understand it all, I suppose that's good. Thank you, Boots, for your encouragement to keep reading God's word!!! I love in chapter 45 the many phrases, "God Sent me" and "He made me" when Joseph was explaining to his brothers who he was. He saw everything that had happened to him as coming from God's hand, not his brothers' hands. I'm so thankful for his example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I am firmly planted in God's word I know God continues to work in and through me.
    How exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The graciousness, mercy, forgiveness, and love by Joseph in this section of Genesis just blows me away! I HIGHLY doubt that I would have been able to handle this situation any where near the same as Joseph. These men SOLD HIM INTO SLAVERY! But then I think of the graciousness, mercy, forgiveness, and love of our precious Savior in willingly offering Himself in my place on the cross! Now THAT REALLY blows me away! And because of that I am obligated to do the same for others. Okay, so now that I have worked all that out in my mind, I acutally need to go out and DO IT!

    The weeping by Joseph on several occasions in this passage is just SO moving to me! He REALLY, REALLY loved these brothers of his, especially young Benjamin! There is just something about a man that is humble enough and broken enough to break down like this out of sheer love for others! Incredible!

    GREAT comments ladies! Once again, I am just so thankful for the new perspectives you are blessing me with! I love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DIDN'T YOU JUST FEEL JACOB'S PAIN WHEN HE SAID I AM BEREAVED ,I AM BEREVED. THAT IS DOUBLE AND I KNOW IT HURT. ALSO IN V 23 THE EGYPTIANS REFERRED TO THE BROTHER'S GOD. DID THEY WITNESS TO THEM ABOUT THEIR GOD. WE NEED TO KNOW WE NEED TO TELL OTHERS ABOUT OUR GOD. AND THEN IN 45:24 AS ALL THE MANY THINGS HAD HAPPENED JOSEPH TELLS HIS BROTHERS NOT TO QUARRAL ON THEIR WAY. HE REALLY KNEW THEM. I LOVE FAMILY AND ENJOY HEARING OF REUNIONS AND JOY OF BEING TOGETHER. I LOOK FORWARD TO BIBLE STUDY EVERY WEEK SO I CAN BE WITH MY SISTERS IN CHRIST.
    I AM LATE BECAUSE I WATCHED THE HALLMARK MOVIE "THE LOST VALENTINE". I SIT AND CRIED LIKE A BABY. BUT I COULD NOT GO ON WITHOUT CATCHING UP.

    ReplyDelete