Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Genesis-The lineage of Abraham

In Chapters 25 and 26, I am reminded that some things have not really changed all that much. It shows us a rivalry between brothers (Esau and Jacob). We tell lies when we think the truth will cause us problems. Issac told the people of Gerar that Rebekah was his sister instead of his wife. He feared that they would kill him if they knew Rebekah was his wife. God intervened allowing Abimelech to see that Issac and Rebekah were married. Abimelech then ordered that who ever touched them would be put to death. Next, we see where Abimelech told Issac to leave because he was afraid of Issac becoming to powerful and taking over. After Issac left, Abimelech went looking for him and Issac wanted to know why he did. They agreed not to hurt one another and made a covenant then went their separate ways.
The message to me says to trust in God in all things. If Issac, Rebekah, and Abimelech would have trusted God to take care of them, they would not have had the troubles and misunderstandings that they went through. God's way is always better than ours. Yet, we often say, "God, this one is no biggie, I can take care of this". Then we wonder how we got in such a mess! God can and will help us through our little problems as well as the big ones. We just have to learn to trust Him and ask for His help.
I trust as we go on our journey of reading the Bible that we grow closer to God and learn to depend on Him for everything in our every day life.
One other side note, as you read the begots, don't you wish they named their children names like Tom, John, James and other equally simpler names?

7 comments:

  1. So true, so true! If we would just trust God...
    You know, those words "Do as I say, not as I do" are running through my head after this passage today. Is is just me, or was there some Deja Vu going on here? Isaac did the exact same thing with Rebecca that Abraham did with Sarah. Not to mention, took more than one wife (again) despite the troubles he saw growing up between his father's wives. It even says "They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebecca." Imagine that. I have no idea if Abraham ever counseled Isaac about these things, but regardless, he followed right in his Daddy's footsteps. People watch you. Whether you are a parent or not, or even if you don't feel like you are in a leadership position at all, I promise, you have influence over someone's life. It would be wonderful if they could actually SEE us trust God, not just SAY we trust God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deja Vu, indeed, Natalie! Even though I know better, I sometimes make the same mistakes in my life. Oh, but for His grace :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am continuously learning to put my trust in God. I am reminded of the words from the song "Only trust Him, only trust Him, only trust Him now..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a parent of girls, I KNOW that I am being closely watched! This can be VERY daunting and frustrating at times. I sometimes just want to let my "guard" down and be a lousy mom and not have to worry about who is watching me! But my home is my closest mission field and God has entrusted me with this responsibility. Is there any greater task in life than to raise up children that know and love the Lord and can go on to share Him with the next generation? As for Deja Vu, I am a certified expert in this subject! If you need any advice on how to keep messing up, I can hook you up with a class! (SMILE) But God...ahhh but God...His love, mercy, and grace are big enough for me. Lord - you knock my socks off!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NOTICED THAT ISHMAEL CAME BACK TO HELP ISAAC BURY HIS DADDY. I WAS AMAZED AFTER HE HAD BEEN SENT AWAY WITH NOTHING, HE COULD HAVE HAD PSYCHOLOGY PROBLEMS FROM POOR CHILDHOOD PROBLEMS BUT HE DIDN'T,HE CAME BACK. WE ALL HAVE THINGS WE HAVE TO GET OVER, LIKE WELLS AND LAND AND LIES WE TOLD, BUT WE CAN GO ON WITH GOD'S HELP. COOK A MEAL FOR OUR ENEMIES, ENJOY THE DAY AND SEND THEM HOME. GOOD NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I looked over the first time I read this story was the fact the Rebekah "inquired of the Lord" the problems with her belly :-) She knew the struggle inside her was strange, and so she took her concerns to the Lord. There's a sermon in that, ladies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaybrena-
    Thank you for pointing out to us to take our concerns to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete