Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Instructions and Happy New Year!!!

Welcome! I thought I'd take a second to explain how we ended up here and give you directions if you're interested in following. This past Easter, my husband and I did a passover meal with our families. It was similar in ceremony to what Jesus would have done with his disciples when he ate the Last Supper. We did not eat just bitter herbs and bread though. I cooked some very yummy food if I do say so myself! (I really have to give credit to Ina Garten because they were mostly her recipes :) But more than that, I saw a distinct link between the Old and New Testaments- a thread woven through that I hadn't seen before. That was the beginning of my desire to actually read through the Bible. Add to that a study I did called "Covenant" by Kay Arthur and I was more convinced than ever.
I say "actually" read through the Bible because I've started several times before and usually make it to Numbers before I run out of steam. I'm getting pretty well versed in Genesis....
Anyway, this is the outgrowth of that desire. I know there are other women who have had similar struggles and we could all benefit from the accountability. I also hope that by doing this some people will see the Bible through new eyes. The more I read of it, the more I become convinced of it's truth, find my comfort in it and guidance. It truly is "a light to my feet and a lamp to my path." I have no idea what your 2010 looked like. It did not rank as best in my list of years gone by by a long shot. But this I do know, God wants to reveal his truth and love and infinite power to you in 2011. God's word is his primary means of communicating with us.
So, if all of this sounds like something you want to "get in on"- here's what you do! Simply sign up to follow the blog by clicking the "Followers" link on the sidebar. Then, read your Bible! The reading plan we will be following is listed on the bottom of the blog. Each days reading contains a link to Biblegateway.com that you can click on to see that day's passage. You can use the link or find it in your own Bible. It doesn't matter what translation you use. Whatever works. There will be an additional six contributors besides myself- one for every day of the week. Each day someone will post on the passages we'll be reading together. Those posts will be about how that days scripture spoke to or convicted the contributor. We do not make the claim of being expert Bible scholars- just people who God speaks to through His word. Hopefully us sharing how he does that will encourage you to keep reading. Our different contributors are from all different stages of life, so there is bound to be someone you can relate to.
Finally, after you signed up to be a follower of the blog, please comment on the posts as you feel led. What you add will make this blog richer and more meaningful, as well as encourage us as contributors to keep going. Also, please pass the link on to any women in your life who you think would like to follow us as well. While we have started this for the women in our church, we would love for it to become something much more than that! We will officially start posting and reading on January 16. Happy New Year, and happy following! Can't wait to hear from you!

1 comment: