Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

How Often Do You Laugh?

Laughter is good for the soul - right? Yes, but not when we laugh at what the Lord tells us. It was interesting to me that Sarah "overheard" what the Lord said to Abraham. Was she standing by on purpose trying to overhear a conversation, or was she standing there prepared to wait on their three guests? I think if I knew the Lord was speaking to my husband, I'd be waiting nearby to "overhear" what was being said. Would you?

Sarah laughed. Was it a laugh of mirth or sarcasm? Maybe it was disbelief? I don't know - I think it was disbelief. She was old and had waited a long time for a child. And then there was the matter of Hagar and her son . . . "Is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord?" No. I know that. We know that. Why can't we always believe that? Why do we sometimes give up? Why can't we take that to heart and trust? He says He will never leave us or forsake us. That He is our shield. That He is our very great reward. All of His promises are true. Believe that He knows where you are and what you need - what your hurts are, your disappointments, your worries. We just have to dig deep into our faith and wait on the Lord. And remember . . . "nothing is too hard for the Lord."

5 comments:

  1. "Is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord?" I needed that today. Thank you for the reminder! Sometimes I forget to hope for things or ask for things from the Lord- I get too bogged down in just trying to be faithful. There's a delicate balance there between trusting Him to know our needs and provide, and asking Him in faith for the things we desire. We need both for the relationship. So good...so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18:17-19 The Lord said, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing?....For I have known him in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD..." It is amazing to me that God sometimes allows our finite minds to grasp what He is about to do! In this case, it allowed Abraham time to intercede for Sodom, but what is God letting you in on today? God allows us to know Him!!! You know why?? So that we can tell our children! This is so that His glory will be known among the nations. What is He whispering to you today? Listen closely.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take comfort in knowing that "nothing is too hard for the Lord." I don't have to go through life alone. I can call on God and He is there to hear my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The angel of the Lord..." (ch. 15 vs. 7, 9, and 11). This phrase has always intrigued me as I have read through the Bible in the past. Is this a preincarnate Jesus each time we see these words in the Old Testament??? Some commentators think yes and some think no (surprise). My opinion - it IS the Lord Jesus Himself becuase I believe He is woven throughout the Old Testament in preparation for His arrival as God incarnate at the perfect time in Bethlehem at the beginning of the New Testament.

    Also...the new name thing. Both Abram and Sarai were now named Abraham and Sarah. This is just so fascinating to me! Jesus renamed Simon as Peter and Saul as Paul in the New Testament. Furthermore, Jesus called Peter the "rock" that His church would be built upon (Matthew 16:18). And the coolest thing...check out Revelation 2:17 where we will each be given a new name on a rock that only Jesus and the individual person will know. I absolutely LOVE how the Bible is connected into one beautiful and perfectly put together book! There is VERY little that gets me more wound up than this!

    Lastly (these three chapters are just full of intriguing things!), how about how Abraham negotiates with God in chapter 18 on behalf of Sodom! I mean, he REALLY negotiates with him over and over! Have you ever done that??? Now THAT is bold!!! Keep the good stuff comin' ladies! You are doing GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE ARE SO BLESSED TO BE A CHILD OF GOD AND BE ABLE TO READ WHAT HIS PLAN WAS FOR THE PEOPLE HE LOVED IN THE BEGINNING AND KNOW HE HAS A PLAN FOR US. EVEN IF YOU ARE A SINGLE MOTHER LIKE HAGAR OR A VERY LOVED WIFE LIKE SARAH GOD CARES FOR YOU. I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS STORY NOT TO TELL MY HUSBAND TO GO SLEEP WITH ANOTHER WOMAN. IF WE JUST WAIT ON THE LORD HE HAS A PLAN MUCH BETTER THAN OUR PLAN.

    ReplyDelete