Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

He is Faithful

My heart is very full after reading today's passage. For so many years, I struggled with what my testimony was. I accepted Christ as my savior when I was seven. While I had my share of teenage struggles and some rebellion and dishonesty in middle school, God never let me wander too far. For the most part, I really don't remember a time in my life when I knew what it was like to be without God. I struggled with how to let others know what God had done and was still doing in my life. There was no dramatic change, where one day I was living in sin and the next I knew God. In fact, there were years in High School where Satan really played with my head- trying to convince me that I hadn't really been saved but was only playing a part. If I had been saved I should "feel" something more...or something should look a lot different...or...something. I wasn't sure exactly what. Beth Moore says that while God deals with us in specific convictions, Satan deals in generalities to bog us down. I'm certainly inclined to agree! It's only really been in the past three or so years that God has really given me a "mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear." (29:4)
In Deuteronomy 28, Moses is listing off the blessings of obedience and curses for disobedience. In chapter 29, he is reminding the Israelites of the covenant they made with God at the base of Mount Sinai. I love these verses.
"Your eyes have seen all that the Lord did in Egypt to Pharoah, to all his officials and to all his land. With your own eyes you saw those great trials, those miraculous signs and great wonders. But to this day the Lord has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear. During the forty years that I led you through the desert, your clothes did not wear out, nor did the sandals on your feet. You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 29: 2-6

God has since opened my eyes to what my testimony is- that God is faithful. Just like the Israelites, I failed to notice all the ways God had cared for me and protected me. Even worse, much of the time I even wanted to try and take credit for my blessings instead of recognizing God's hand in the process. Even when I wasn't faithful, God was. He convicted me. Protected me. Surrounded me with godly women as examples. I benefitted so much from the examples of women who loved the Lord. My mom, my youth pastor's wife, numerous other ladies at my church, my grandmothers. I know I benefit from the faithfulness of my parents in following God. Are they perfect? No. Am I?? Certainly not! God himself knows how much work I've been over the years. But the testimony isn't about my faithfulness, it's about God's- even when I wasn't. "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6
God made some wonderful promises to the Israelites here. What a wonderful nation they could have been. They were that wonderful nation when they were following God. However, so much of what Moses said regarding the curses was actually almost prophecy. God did what He said when Israel wasn't faithful. Israel was defeated and carried into captivity by Assyria and Judah to Babylon. Later, Roman oppression forced more Jews to flee their homeland. It's tragic. But, when they turned back to God, he remembered his promise. We close our reading with this verse:
"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law."

God has revealed so much of Himself to me over the years...through good times and through the struggles. That is my testimony. One of a God who honored His end of the bargain to a little seven year old girl who got up the courage to walk to the front of the church and commit her life to Him. He has never left me- even when I didn't pay attention to the fact that he was there. I don't know when you accepted Christ, or if you have. Maybe you feel like you're living under a curse- or that you deserve a curse. Please hear me, God wants nothing more than to start blessing you! Turn your heart back to Him. Remember, He is the faithful one. We are all just trying to be faithful. He's given us his word to help us along the way, and His Spirit to open our eyes and ears so we can understand. Thank you Lord. You are faithful God.
I love this song by Chris Tomlin, "Faithful." I pray it speaks to your heart too.


6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, precious and personal post Natalie. What a testimony. I can certainly relate to yours because I did not have a "Damascus Rd" experience as well. I have to watch and realize that God is here every day in every situation to look and see his hand in my life. In little and big ways and to recognize He is leading and He is answering prayers. And sometimes it is in the "looking back" that I see Him so clearly.

    Your song was beautiful as well and thank you for sharing that with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those very verses are what spoke to me this morning, too. I just keep thinking about all the opportunities I've missed to say "thank You" to Him. Praying He brings these to my remembrance today........

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great passage to remind me of the difference between how great things are when God is first and how bad things can get when I ignore him.

    It is not just about money and things, but peace of mind and security in him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said......Great post, Natalie! My testimony is similar to yours. Loved the video and your comment "God knows how much work I have been over the years!! I had to chuckle, knowing I am at least twice your age, so God has really done a ton of work to keep me straight!! :) I'm being blessed by the insights these posts & all the comments give me!! Hang in there, Sisters, let's keep on keeping on together in His Word! Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Natalie! You really put your heart into that post and I SO appreciate you sharing that with us! What a fantastic testimony!!! I have often struggled with my own "lack" of excitement in my testimony. But over the past five to six years God has REALLY, REALLY made my testimony exciting and I am so thankful to Him for that!!! I found these two chapters to be quite disturbing due to the fact that many of the curses mentioned in these chapters have come true and continue to be played out. Why will we just not obey???? I LOVE the closing verse that you quoted because it reminds me how low I am and how HIGH God is and that I am NOT God (and do not want to be!!!) and there are things that in His infinite wisdom He chooses not to reveal to us! Thanks for sharing yourself with us Natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie-Your post made me think of my own testimony. I was raised by 2 wonderful Christian parents and I accepted Jesus as my Savior at the age of 8 in a church revival in Jacksonville, Arkansas. I went to Sunday School, children's church, youth group and was rooted in the Word for 18 years. (I think we may have missed one Sunday due to my baby sister (ok she is 31 now) being born). As I went off to college I strayed away from the church and His word for a while. God was with me all along though.

    I believe as I have grown into adulthood God was rooting my heart and spirit in Him as a child to deal with some of the difficult situations I have gone through in the past few years. God is truly faithful to us even when we get off track at times. God can heal a broken-heart, fix relationships, fill your spirit!! God is truly able to do all things. God is very wise and knows EVERYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete