Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, March 18, 2011

What's in a Name?

So, I was thinking. Deuteronomy? I mean the other books we've read thus far in the Bible had names that were pretty self-explanatory......but Deuteronomy? Turns out it means "second law", meaning that the law was given a second time! You know why it had to be given again? Because this group of Israelites was a completely different flock than the one we started with! Although, some of these people had seen miracles in the wilderness, it had been forty years since the crossing of the Red Sea, and these guys were mere teenagers, some were children, and many weren't even born yet. Moses, Joshua, and Caleb were the only ones left who were adults at that time. I think they KNEW how important it was to carefully re-tell the miracles and explain the laws to this new generation. A commentary of sorts.....of all that Israel had learned from God.

I can somewhat identify with God here, because I run into this problem when raising my own children. Do you sometimes have to repeat the rules and responsibilities in your home, too? Some days I think, "Haven't I already said this before?" or "Haven't we done this before?!?!?" But, I have to remind myself that sometimes my youngest child may not have heard this particular rule before. (Mind you, he doesn't get this free pass often.) If the truth be told, my children aren't the only ones who need a reminder. I'm guilty of forgetting my own responsibilities, most days! What about in the life of our country? There were rules created and adopted in this land for how the government should operate, and also listing our rights and responsibilities as citizens of the United States. We weren't even alive then! Certainly, these laws have to be taught again as new generations are raised......ummmm, and sometimes "re-defined", but we won't get into that today.

It seems to me that Dt. 11:26-28 pretty much sums it all up. "Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you today; and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known."

After Moses reminds Israel to never tolerate gods of the nations around them, he goes into detail about the God they are to worship. He tells them of the grave consequences they will endure should they not keep their hearts pure in worship. I thought it was so interesting that God warns the people through Moses, to watch out for false prophets and even family members who try to lead you astray! Satan will use anyone and anything to lure you away from God. We must guard our hearts diligently.

It's a choice only you can make, blessing or curse. Choose daily to trust and obey, for there's no other way....

4 comments:

  1. I'm "finding" tons of wonderful scripture memory verses in this book! I loved how Mindy pointed out that Jesus quoted from Deuteronomy a lot. Leave it to a man looking straight at eternity to really pour forth some wisdom on life. I like this book because it's so APPLICABLE! So much to think about that applies to how we live life day to day. Wonderful post Jaybrena- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette said....Thank you for that light bulb explanation why this was repeat, repeat, repeat!! It also does us good to hear it again, again, & again......what God requires of us, His children: our trust & obedience. Simple: Obey God's commands & be blessed, disobey & be cursed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Repetition is the only way things will sink into my brain. The older I get the more reminders I seem to need. Memorizing scripture is a good way to keep the mind sharp and on God. Thank you Jaybrena for the "reminders".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your "fork in the road" picture you used Jaybrena! I have seen that picture in my mind SO MANY times! I know for absolute certainty that I need to hear things and read things over and over before they get into my "thick skull". I also really liked that you reminded us that Satan will use ANYTHING to get to us, including loved ones. This is SO IMPORTANT to keep at the forefront of our minds at all times! One other thing I thought was interesting was in Chapter 11, verse 12 that says, "It is a land the Lord your God cares for; the eyes of the Lord your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to its end." If God is the same and never changes, then this is STILL how He feels about the Promised Land today. Makes you REALLY wonder how exactly all the wars and conflict in the Middle East are going to turn out, but I have a feeling God is going to "keep" His Promised Land!!!!

    ReplyDelete