Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Remember He is God


I am so excited that we have made it this far together. Deuteronomy is a book I have actually, in some ways, looked forward to studying. I am also very excited that I have made it through Leviticus and Numbers with you. Let’s keep moving!

Today’s first chapter, Deut. chapter three, we find Moses recounting the defeat of Og, King of Bashan. This was another battle that was totally the Lord’s. The Lord handed Og and his whole army over to the Israelites. They were reminded of the sixty cities they captured that were fortified with high walls, gates and bars. This land they took over was divided among the Reubenites, Gadites, and half the tribe of Manasseh. Then Moses reminds Joshua that the Lord has brought the Israelites through all these battles and that the Lord will do the same for them in the land they are going.

Then we see Moses plead with the Lord one last time to go into the Promised Land. This reminds me of being a mother. There have been times when I have set rules that I didn’t want to follow through on because my child is pleading with me to change my mind. In my human ways I sometimes stick to my guns for prideful reasons or be lenient because of selfishness, or laziness. My intention is always to do what is best and right. Another way is to think about an action of you or your child that has a very difficult consequence. Like Moses, there is no “do over.” You can’t just take it back or do extra credit. Many times we may cry how “unfair” it is. The bottom line is that Moses was not going to enter the Promised Land but it did not mean God loved him any less and God still had much for Moses to do.

Chapter four is the Lord, again, commanding obedience and reminding the Israelites that He is God. I like verse two; “Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.” So, that means, just do what He said because He is God and He means it. The Lord wanted the Israelites to remember. He wants us to remember. Remember His miracles, His provisions, even His disciplines. We should tell our children about what the Lord has done. Teach our children His word. This is one of the most important things we can do.

8 comments:

  1. Teaching and training our children is indeed the hardest (and most rewarding) thing I've ever done in my life! Deuteronomy is a wonderful book that I refer to often. I couldn't help but feel sad for Moses, though...pleading with His Lord. How many times have men of God prayed earnestly for God's verdict to be changed, and He did?!!? Moses certainly wasn't wasting His time.

    And Amy! Congratulations on the arrival of Naomi Faith. Time to update your bio page! :) She's not even a week old, and you're blogging away. What an encouragement you are to so many around you. Surely these sweet children rise up and call you blessed.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Amy...CONGRATULATIONS! And I'm so proud to see you here and blogging just a week later. I know it required some sacrifices, and a good bit of stubborn determination. But, that's the good kind. You are certainly an inspiration to all of us- and I pray so many blessings on you, your family and especially your sweet babies. May God reward you and bless them for your faithfulness to Him and His word! :)
    Obedience. It never gets any easier, does it? We get older and just rebel against different authority. If we could master that one seemingly small thing, Oh, what God could do with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy - what a precious post - and not only the content but because YOU are so faithful to God and to us! Congratulations on your sweet little girl. You are a wonderful mother, and I know God will bless your family. What dedication to be blogging with an infant in tow and barely out of the hospital!! I so admire you.

    Chapter 4, verse 9 has always been in my heart - "...make them known to your children and your children's children." I pray I have done that with my children and now my grandchildren. My 16 year old grandson was just baptized two weeks ago and did we all rejoice! Three more to go so we just keep praying. God is faithful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said.....Great post, Amy! I know your baby is beautiful & precious, just like all your other children! Thank you for your commitment! I pray that God will give you times of rest & special times to enjoy this little one!

    Enjoyed everyone's comments. Ch.3,Verse 26 jumps out at me when Moses said, "Because of YOU the Lord was angry with me and would not listen to me!" Ouch! Seems as tho Moses is blaming the Israelites rather than taking full responsibility for his action that lost him the privilege of entering the Promised Land! How often do we try to put a guilt trip on others for the consequences of our own wrong decisions?? But God is so GOOD! As Paul Harvey used to say, "And NOW.....for the REST OF THE STORY!" I can just see the smile on Moses face when God placed him in the midst of the Promise Land with Elijah & Jesus! I just love it!!! Love all the comments....so interesting & keeping me in the Word! Reading on.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What perfect verses for you to get. Reminding us all that we are responsible for our children and our children's children. It is a blessing to all of us to see you doing what God commanded. We need to take our children to church when they are young and as they grow older, they will not stray.
    We are all anxiously waiting to see Naomi at church. She is a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy-Congratulations on your new baby girl. I love the name. My great-grandmother was named Naomi.

    I'm very thankful my parents took my 2 sisters and me to church every week for as long as I can remember. They made sure we knew scripture and the teachings of Jesus. Most importantly, they were concerned with our eternal life and now the grandchildren.

    Being a mother is a great and rewarding responsiblity. But parenting sure does come with its challenges, huh? Children at every age (yes, even teenagers) are watching and listening to us. Being obedient and listening to God's commands sure do help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy - I feel like I am just repeating what has already been said, but...you AMAZE me!!! Thank you for your loyalty and dedication to this blog so soon after the birth of precious Naomi!! You and Homer and your precious children are such a blessing to all of us and we SO appreciate you all!!! And I know my husband would want me to add to be sure and thank you for your beautiful voice as well :)

    I really like verse 2 of chapter 4 as well Amy. "Just do it" because of who He is and because He said to do it! It reminds me of the very last verse of the Bible in Revelation...check it out and enjoy the "connectivity" of Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your sweet words!! I did feel tempted to back out of this week, and probably would have without all of you doing this with me. Something to learn is that some things are just hard but we should keep going. And even when it doesn't reward us the way we thought it would. I felt bad for Moses as well. He had done so many things right but his flesh got in the way and cost him dearly. I like to apply that to losing my temper. Our actions seem so justified in the middle of our tantrum but usually it is sinful flesh.

    Thank you again for all the encouragement. God's word grows more precious to me daily.

    ReplyDelete