Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

This Is Not Too Hard For You

Well, here they are, at the edge of the Jordan about to "cross over."

Cross Over - what does that mean? Continue across, pass over, proceed, forge ahead - all these years waiting to go to the Promised Land. Don't you know they were excited and nervous all at the same time? And Moses tells them - this is not too hard for you. What's not hard? The crossing over, the day to day living, keeping God's commandments, or living in the Promised Land?
When we look at our Christian lives, we know the "cross over" was not hard. We were excited and joyful when we accepted Jesus into our lives. It's the daily "moving ahead" where we find difficulty. It's the daily battle. The daily obedience. It's the "doing the right thing" that sometimes gets difficult in my life. Seeing clearly what God wants me to do. How about you? But here is the promise and the best thing! The Lord your God will Himself go over before you." That's why we can move ahead, cross over, be strong and of good courage because our God goes before us.

Life and death - blessing and curse . . . They had a choice - and so do we. Choose Life! Life in Christ - the abundant life. Choose obedience. Moses tells the people that even though God knows they will stray and even be dispersed into the uttermost parts of the earth (the Assyrians and the Babylonians) that the Lord will "gather" them back to Himself. (I was reminded of the Jewish people in years past coming back into their homeland after years of affliction, dispersion, and persecution.) When we are disobedient and "stray," God is faithful to take us back when we repent. That is what His grace is all about.

Moses, old and aged, now commissions Joshua to be their leader and tells the people that he is the one that will "cross over" with them. God is calling him home, and the leadership will pass to another man chosen of God. Could it be that in the months ahead Oak Hill will "cross over" and continue our journey with a new shepherd? A man chosen by God. That is my prayer.

And so, Moses is about to teach the Israelites a new song - his "Swan Song."

Stay tuned . . .

7 comments:

  1. Jeanette said.....Oh, my, what a full passage! Love the "cross over" phrase! As we each travel this earthly road, God is preparing us to "cross over" to our eternal home with Him! But, first, I must deal with and lose a lot of baggage that weighs me down. And I must accomplish His purpose for my life. Until then I must continually sort thru all sorts of baggage to discern what to refuse to accept (from Satan) & choose only what is pleasing to God. May we each be filled with the wisdon of God to make the right choices each day! Great post, Barbara, & I like your summary of the next chapter as Moses' "Swan Song"! I encourage you all to continue in His Grip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, I like the cross over theme for both us as individuals as well as us as a church family. My prayers are with you for I would like to see the same thing. I believe as we as individuals will seek God's guidance in our lives and each of us will cross over in our own relationship than God will bless us and our church will cross over with the right leader and become great and do God's will in both places. Thanks for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Mrs. Barbara.....I had no idea what a Swan Song was!!! :) Never fear, though...I googled it! ~hahhahaaaa. I love that the Lord goes over before me.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Barbara - I absolutely LOVE all of the cross over analogies you did! Some GREAT things to think about! I really love the way in chapter 31 how Moses says over and over that the Lord will never leave us nor forsake us. He really drills is into us doesn't he? He also tells us several times to be courageous in the Lord...these are words that I REALLY need to hear! I am SO THANKFUL that I have chosen life...eternal life!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so wonderful to read in this passage that God had already planned a way for his chosen people to come back to him before they had even turned away from him. His anger was real, but he told him clearly what to do to come back into his presence and blessings. What a wonderful picture of what He did ultimately for us though Christ.

    I also think about the purpose of the wilderness and the dangers of the promised land. The wilderness was a time of protection from evil influences of other people and their false Gods. God knew they needed this time of learning. He lead them to the promised land even though he knew it would cause them to be subject to temptations that they had not know in the wilderness.

    It seems life repeats this cycle over and over, times of aloneness with God full of testing and teaching then times filled with milk and honey where it seems we have finally made it, only to fall to new temptations that are plenty when life is easy. Thank you God, for always offering me a way back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post Barbara! While we cross over only once, I agree that it's the day to day decisions to pursue righteousness that are hard! But God is with us, and always welcomes us back. Further more, His timing is always perfect. As a church we have certainly been through a "wilderness" lately, and I pray God too that soon God will bring us a new leader who will lead us toward what the will of God is for our church. This reading through the Bible with all of you has been more of a blessing than I could ever have imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara-Your post encourages me to daily take up my cross and follow Him. I am daily dying to "self". God constantly reminds me that He is with me even in the "wilderness" moments. Like Natalie this is the best blog ever. This is my first time reading through the Bible. It is truly amazing to read with such Godly women!!!!

    ReplyDelete