Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go!


One Israelite, two Israelites, grumbling Israelites, disobedient Israelites - when will you finish this long, lengthy plight? Okay...in all seriousness...chapter 33 is a review of AALLLLL the places the Israelites have wandered to during their 40 years in the wilderness. Interestingly enough, Moses states in verse 2 the fact that HE wrote down this review of the Israelite's journey. All of the other books of Moses were said the be given to Moses BY God. Another interesting tidbit of information from this chapter is that 17 of the places Moses records they camped in are not mentioned anywhere else in the Bible and the only known information regarding these places is simply that the Israelites camped there. This chapter also reflects the form of a military itinerary, which was very common of certain literary genres recorded around the countries bordering the eastern Mediterranean Sea. Having stated all of these very note-worthy facts, what can we see in this chapter about our lives? When I look back on my life, I can see the places where I have just wandered around. God was ALWAYS there beside me, patiently waiting for me to "get it". But until then, he just had me going here and there, but NEVER in vain! I ALWBoldAYS learned something from these years of wandering! And He ALWAYS provided for me during these times just as He did for the Israelites during their wanderings.




In Chapter 34, God gives to Moses the boundaries for the Promised Land. Simply put, the land of Canaan consisted of the land between the Mediterranean and the Jordan, plus modern day Lebanon and a portion of modern day Syria. Interestingly (again) is the fact that Israel never occupies ALL this territory - it represents the Promised Land, not the actual occupied land of Israel. This got me to thinking about boundaries in our lives. Many of them exist for our protection, for our privacy, and to determine appropriate behavior by us and by others. Certainly the boundaries (or rules/laws) that God has given to us are for our protection and we are under His umbrella of protection when we follow these boundary limits. How many times have I pushed the "limits" of these boundaries and gotten myself into BIG (and I mean BIG) trouble? PLENTY!!!!!! Each time I have wandered outside of these boundaries, God lovingly brings me back into them and waits patiently for me to return! So, have you wandered outside of God's boundaries of protection He has established for your life? If you have, God is waiting with (HUGE!!!!) open, loving arms for you to return to within these boundaries! It is NEVER too late!

6 comments:

  1. God's boundaries allow us to grow in our Christian walk. When we don't abide by these boundaries then we will pay the consequences (we may not like in our lives). But, as Mindy stated, "God will be waiting patiently" for us to open our eyes and realize His way and protection are the best. Sometimes we must go through situations (healthy and unhealthy) to see God's boundaries are set for our good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette said......I saw a cute cartoon on line that said, "Do you think after wandering around in the desert 39 1/2 yrs. Mrs. Moses wanted to stop at a service station & ask for directions??! How long do we insist on wandering off on our own, doing things our way until we are so lost that it is difficult to find our way back?? Oh, may we all be quick to seek God's directions re: situations, job decisions, family relationships, all little & big decisions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy very good and a good blog of what could be rather boring. I can't pronoun all those words and about half-way now I get tired of trying but now I have a new presective on this. My boundries have not been very big. I have been here all my life but God brings people into my boundries and then out again. Some have been more impressive that others but you 7 ladies are making a mark on my life. Thank you for inviting me to join.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, - loved, loved, loved the title of your post today and what you shared. God just keeps putting things together for me in reading these passages and our blogs and posts.

    Here is a quote I read today about "wandering in the desert" and thought it was appropriate - if I can only remember this myself:

    "Often we travel too fast through the really important places in our lives, especially if those places look like a desert, where nothing seems to grow. Yet if we slow down, we might just find that the landmarks in our spiritual wilderness become meeting places with God." (from Journey to the Cross).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Barbara - I absolutely LOVE that quote! It so VERY, VERY true!!! We need to slow down!!!! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Mindy! I really like your point about the boundariese God puts in our lives to protect us. I need to be more aware of them and honor them. I believe I am lazy about paying attention to those. Great insight!

    God's command for the Israelites as they entered Canaan was a very strong message. He wanted them to rid the land of EVERYTHING that was not of Him... people, images, idols, their high places. Or else... We should be as aggressive about ridding our lives of everything that is not honoring God. Lord, please help me to honor you with ALL of my life!

    ReplyDelete