Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I DID IT MY WAY

Chapters 18 and 19 deal with the responsibilities of Aaron, his sons, and the Levites.  It tells them what they are to do and how to do it.  It also tells them what they are to do if they are unclean.

Chapter 20  starts with the Isaraelites whining and complaining again because they had no water.  When they went to Moses with their complaints, Moses and Aaron fell upon their faces at the door of the tabernacle.  God told Moses to take the rod, gather up the assembly and Aaron, and speak to the rock.  The rock would spring forth water for the people and their beasts.  Instead of obeying God, Moses did it his way.  Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice and the water came out abundantly.

Because Moses did it his way, he was unable to go into the promise land.  God also told Aaron that he would not enter into the promise land because he had rebelled against His Word at the water of Meriboh.  Both Aaron and Moses was punished for not doing what God told them.  They did it their way.

How many times do we want to do something "our way" instead of "His way."  I am reminded of one particular time not so long ago.  I was living my life my way never asking God what was his will in my life.  My son challenged me to go on a mission trip.  I told him no I was not going.He asked me if I prayed about it and I told him no I had not prayed about it because I did not want to go.  He told me I needed to pray about it so I prayed "God you don't want me to go do you?"  Every time I turn around I was hearing something about missions.  Finally, I said, "Lord if you want me to go, show me."  I decided to go to the next mission meeting but I still wanted to do it my way so I told the Lord if he wanted me to go that I would but don't send me to Belize.  Wouldn't you know it the first mission meeting was for Belize.  Oh no, I don't want to go there.  I thought that I was off the hook when they told me how much money I needed to go on the trip.  Then a short time later I received a check in the mail with enough money to cover what I needed.  After that, I gave in and said I would go.  The trip was amazing.  I saw how great the need was and I was so glad that I went.

God didn't punish me like He did with Moses and Aaron.  Instead when I gave up and let God take over and do it His way, He blessed me.  Since then, I do not want to do anything my way.  I want God to take control of my life and lead me in everything I do.  How about you, have you let God take control of your life or are you still trying to do it your way?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ms. Boots - what a wonderful testimony about how you were sent on the trip to Belize! I remember when you went on that trip and am so thankful that you were obedient to His will even if you took the "long way" because I know what a blessing it was for you and for the people you all helped. I have to say, of course, that I have also done it "my way" many times! (Reminds me of the Elvis Presley song, "I Did it My Way") It really is like running head first into a brick wall isn't it? When we do it "His way" we have God on our side and will be filled with blessings. That is NOT to say that it will be easy by any means, but we will be under God's umbrella of protection if we follow His will for us. On a side note, I have often thought that the punishment for Moses' disobedience was really tough and does not seem to "fit" the crime if you will. But again, God will NOT tolerate ANY disobedience. But nonetheless, my heart goes out to Moses all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These past 2 chapters have really hit home with me. That phrase "I Did It My Way" could have been my theme song for a period of time. But God has shown me that His way is truly the best thing in life. God is looking out for our best interests as well as for our families. If we will just trust and obey Him in our walk with Him, He has many blessings in store for us. I also felt sad about Moses' situation. Did he deserve the harsh punishment? Probably not. But that was not for Moses or others to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear can immobilize us, can't it Ms. Boots? "You don't want me to go, do You, God?" That's perfect :) I've been there before.......maybe just yesterday! Love you lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said......Boots, I had no idea how you had struggled about going to Belize! I remember just being awed by you!! We had planned to go, but Tom was beginning to have health issues about that time, so we felt God saying "No"! But, I was so proud of you!! Truth be known, I think there have been times we all did it "our way!" But, God's way is always best.....when will we ever learn??! Hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boots, thanks for this great post and for sharing your story about Belize! When I read that Moses and Aaron were punished, I had to go back an re-read the text to figure out what they did wrong. God told them to speak to the rock. Instead, they spoke to the people ("Listen, you rebels..."). That seems like a minor violation to me, but God tells them that they are to be punished because "you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites".

    Mindy, my heart goes out to Moses as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, the thing Moses did wrong was in striking the rock instead of speaking to it as God had told him to do. My theory was that Moses was angry that the people kept complaining about everything. After seeing all the miracles that God had already done, you think they would know that if God said He was going to do something He would do it. Still, every time something happened they started whinning and saying they would of rather been left in Egypt than to die in the wilderness. I think that Moses after hearing that so many times was just tired of their complaining so in anger he struck the rock twice. That is just my theory, it doesn't say why Moses struck the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boots, thanks for clarifying! I can certainly believe that Moses struck the rock out of anger and frustration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In regards to Terry and Boots comments: not only did Moses and Aaron hit the rock instead of speaking, they sort of took credit for providing the water. "must WE bring water out of this rock for you?" They failed to give God the glory to the Israelites. I think their whole frame of mind for the situation was wrong. When we do Gods work, we have to check our attitude! The wrong attitude, especially when performing a miracle, leads to a major offense!!

    ReplyDelete