Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Canaan is Conquered

Who else has had this song in their head all day yesterday and today... "Joshua fought the battle of Jericho... Jericho... Jericho..."? (Love that, Ms. Boots!)

For an estimated seven years, the conquest of Canaan continued...

To back up a bit... In Deuteronomy 7:1-2, God reminded the Israelites through Moses' words that HE would deliver the Promised Land to them. (I wonder if Joshua was standing close by and taking in every word?!?!) God also named specific nations that would be conquered. He instructed the Israelites to destroy everything with NO MERCY.
"When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations - the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you - and when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy."
Joshua and the Israelites were in their Promised Land and were taking no prisoners! Well... except for the Gibeonites. After the Israelites defeat of Ai, the Gibeonites acted quickly out of fear and "resorted to a ruse". Against God's command, Joshua made a treaty with this group of Canaanites. They became enslaved to the Israelites in order to save their lives. I have to be honest here and say I wonder why God did not punish Joshua for making an agreement with these people after God had said, "Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy." To me, this is a reflection of God's grace and sovereignty. Even when we "resort to a ruse", act out of fear, or are disobedient, God is faithful to save us and to work out His plan for His glory.

After the Israelites defeated Jericho and Ai, the neighboring nations were terrified. Can you imagine the chaos among the seven Canaan nations and their leaders as they watch the destruction and death around them and anticipate their own? As promised, God delivered the seven nations one after another, after another, after another. The Israelites killed EVERYONE, including the kings, who either died by the sword during battle or were hung afterwards.

This map is a little difficult to read, but helped me to grasp the path of the Israelites conquest. Joshua and the Israelites were camped in Gilgal which is just west of the Jordan and north of the Dead Sea. Using the map, you can follow the cities in Israel's path (central nations, then southern, then northern).

This was a seven year blood bath. I'm reminded again that deliverance requires sacrifice. Sin results in death. The Canaanites' hearts were hardened against the Israelites (v 11:20). God purged the corruption of the land and handed it over to the Israelites. I love the last sentence of Joshua 11. "Then the land had rest from war." I imagine the people were extremely tired too. The Message translates this verse as, "And Israel had rest from war." Obviously, war is laborious, even in victory. God provided a time of rest.

Jesus says to us in Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." In the midst of our busy minds and lives, let's rest in God today and celebrate His victories in our lives.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post Terry! As we go through our lives I believe God allows us opportunities (through seasons) to rest in His arms. At times we are "battle weary" and need a place to rest in His arms. Twila Paris has a song titled "Warrior is a Child" which reminds us even soldiers need a quiet place to rest. I don't know the season of life you may be in, but know that God is always available to let you rest in Him. How amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Terry. My goodness, I'm weary from war just reading about it. All those kings and people defeated - just like God had promised Moses. I wonder if Moses realized all the wars and trouble that his people would go through while gazing peacefully from the mountain top over into the Promised Land.

    Loved the map too - it helps a lot. I keep turning back and forth in my Bible to the maps trying to keep up with where the cities are! Never mind prouncing them.

    Angela, I love that song "Warrior is a Child." I heard it just the other day and was reminded that we do have a "quiet place to rest" if we but choose to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette said.....I really don't like all this fighting. I'm such a peace lover! It grieves me so & I have always had trouble with the battles in the Bible. Yet, I know that I have been called to be a Christian soldier....to fight against Satan every day. And it does make me so weary! And I am so thankful that when I am weak, He is strong & promises to be with me always...in the thick of every battle. He is my refuge & my strength! To Him be all the Glory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff ladies!!! Fantastic post Terry!! Thanks for the map...it really did help to give me a visual. Terry - I agree with you on the fact that I am surprised that God did not punish Joshua for making that treaty. Just goes to show you that He is God and I am NOT! The verse you quoted from Matthew is one of my favorites in the whole New Testament. That verse has been like a balm to my sould so many times in my life. It gives me such peace and a sense of complete rest. Where do non-Christians "go" to find rest? I am so VERY thankful that Jesus allows me to enter into rest in Him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post terry, and thank you for the map! It helps to see it laid out. Reading it with no reference for the places, it may as well be saying "from nevernever land to timbuktu by route of wonderland!" Jeanette, I also hate fighting and bloodshed, and had a hard time with the "wrath" of God over the years. But, again, God's shown me so much. If you remember, way back when God made the promise to Abraham that his descendants would inherit the land, he said that they would be enslaved for four hundred years but then God would deliver them because "The sin of the Amorites has not yet reached it's full measure." He gave them time to repent. Just like in Noah's time, and just like God will have to do when Jesus comes back, God is judging evil. He isn't arbitrarily choosing one nation over the other. In this instance he's using Israel to bring His judgement. One day it will be his church led by His son. I think I'm going to be excited to be brandishing a sword that day. :)
    And I too wonder about the Gibeonites. Obviously they acted deceitfully, which is wrong, and Joshua failed in consulting God over the whole thing. But, because Joshua made the oath in God's name, God would have been more upset had they broken the oath, because essentially they would have been saying that God breaks his oaths. So, honoring the treaty was the best they could do in such a situation. We have to be careful about our promises when we represent God. He always keeps his word!

    ReplyDelete