Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

GOD IS MY REFUGE

 Chapter 35 God tells Moses to tell the Children of Israel they are to give of their inheritance to the Levites cities to dwell in and also to give them suburbs for the cities round about them.  Forty-two of these cities are for the Levites to dwell in and six are to be for refuge.  If a person was to kill somebody unaware, they could flee to the City of Refuge.  If he made it to the City of Refuge, the avenger could not kill him until he stood before the congregation in judgment.
If a person was to murder than they was to be put to death.  If it was an accident they was to stay in the City of Refuge during the life of the high priest. than they could return to their home.

Chapter 36 tells us of their inheritance.  The woman was to marry in the family of the tribe of their father.  This was done so the families could keep their inheritance in the family.  Concerning the children of Zelophehad , Numbers 36:6 says "let them marry whom they think best" establishing some basic women's rights to choose who they would or wouldn't marry.  It was no longer the right of the parents to dictate who they would or wouldn't marry.  The daughter had a say so now.  God has always been the forerunner of women's rights, whereas man and man's religion has always sought to oppress women.

I am so g lad that today God is our refuge.  We do not have to flee to a city.  He keeps us in his loving arms and forgives us our sins if we first ask.  He died for our sins so the devil (avenger) can not have us when we do wrong.  As I read of all the laws that the Israelites had to follow or be punished, often with death, I am glad that we live under grace.  Thank you God for saving me and keeping me in the refuge of your arms.

4 comments:

  1. Boots-I really liked your statement of "God is our refuge." I am thankful that He knows me in an intimate and real way. When I have done wrong I can go to Him confess my sins and He still loves me. God is just awesome!!!!

    These chapters of marriage and women's rights were also interesting. To think all of these years that women did not really have a choice or say in the matter?! Praise the Lord for Chapter 36. In all seriousness, I am truly glad that God let us choose our spouse. I love my husband with all my heart. I know God had His plan when He sent my husband my way. God truly knows what is best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Boots - I had never really considered that God was an advocate for women not to be oppressed, but it is right there isn't it? Now we of course try to take this too far into the women's lib movement, which I do NOT agree with, but we should also not have to be considered less than human as they do in the Muslim religion! Ahhh, God is our "city" of refuge for ALL time! There are a lot of places where David states this over and over again in the Psalms. Something to look forward to! Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, I to do not agree with the women's lib movement. I am glad that God has stood up for us and said that we are able to chose our own mates. I think a home that is built on love and trust for one another will last. As far as women wanting to live like men and be able to do as they want. I don't see it. God made us different for a reason and as I always say viva la differance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is a protector of all life...women's, children's, the elderly...makes me think about how I treat those around me who society may not deem "as valuable" as others. And what a beautiful message..."God is our refuge"..he certainly is. And while I am thankful that in our society we have the freedom as women to decide who we marry, God still gives us guidelines. Specifically that, if you are a Christian, you are to marry another Christian. In this, as in all areas of our life, God sets up our "boundaries" to protect us and our "spiritual" inheritance that we pass on to our children. Just like these women were told that while they could marry whom they chose, but if they married outside their tribe, their inheritance would be lost. Any single ladies reading this...PLEASE, marry to protect your spiritual inheritance.

    ReplyDelete