Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Tribes Receive Their Land


I know this was not a fascinating read but some parts were interesting. Here we are half way through the book of Joshua. After all the action in the previous passages, chapter twelve is a recap of all the kings and nations that Joshua and the Israelites conquered. Thirty-one kings in all were defeated and destroyed. At this point the Israelites had control of the land but there were still many areas that needed to be conquered. The Lord made a clear point in the beginning of chapter 13 that Joshua was old and there was still land to be taken over. God tells Joshua about the territory left to conquer; the land of the Philistines and Geshurites and the mountainous regions where the Sidonians live.

Next comes the division of the land among the twelve tribes. We are reminded about the land already allocated to the Reubenites, the Gadites and half of the tribe of Mannasseh which is East of the Jordan River. Hebron was given to Caleb. Caleb approached Joshua and reminded him about the promise of God made forty-five years before that he would inherit the land on which his feet walks. Hebron is actually a portion of the land that is alloted to the tribe of Judah. Chapter fifteen gives detail outlining the territory alloted to Judah. An interesting story about Caleb is that when he marched against the people (at 85 years old) living in his newly inherited land he said that whoever captures the land of Kiriath Sepher could have his daughter Acsah’s hand in marriage. Othniel, his brother, was the winner. Then Caleb gave Acsah and Othniel land and an additional field with springs of water after his daughter made the request.

The last verse of the reading tells us that the tribe of Judah could not get rid of the Jebusites from Jerusalem. I wonder what this means for the future? I am sure this means trouble for the Israelites...

7 comments:

  1. Here's our man, Caleb again! May the Lord give us the strength and passion of Caleb at the young age of 85 yrs old. He could have asked for the beachfront property by the bay, but noooooo.....he said “Give me the mountain with the giants. Give me Hebron!" Remember, Hebron was where Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, and Jacob were buried. I pray the Lord gives me the strength to drive out the giants on my own mountain!

    Oh, if I ever get the chance to name a group of senior saints, working hard for the Lord it will have something to do with Caleb!!! What faith this man had. GO GRANDPA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that Caleb gave his daughter to someone as willing to fight as himself...:)
    And Amy, I'm sure that the Jebusites are going to cause problems. Just like any sin in our lives that we don't "root out" causes us problems. I wonder why they couldn't get rid of the Jebusites? I mean, didn't we just read about the battle of Jericho? Obviously their faith was lacking more than their physical ability to fight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary Amy! I love maps :)

    I agree that these chapters are a bit dry, but they are a surveyer's DREAM! There are so many details of cities included (and excluded) from a tribe's inheritance. Boundaries for each tribe were clearly set. I know boundaries have been mentioned on this BLOG in prior postings and comments, but the idea of God giving us boundaries today is starting to sink in for me. What are my boundaries??? This is definateley something that I believe needs to be sought out through prayer and time in God's Word.

    We are again reminded that the Levites received no land inheritance. However, we also know that God DID provide for them, but gave HIMSELF as their inheritance (13:33). Of course, God also provided for their physical needs. They were given squatter's rights (14:4) and offerings made to God (13:14).

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read a passage like this that is more "record keeping" than story, it is easy just to skim over and check it as done. This time I am trying to see "the big picture" in a passage like this and what I need to learn from it.

    This passage reminds me that God cares about the details in my life. He doesn't just say "there is some stuff over there for you to do". Just like he didn't tell the Israelites "y'all can have that land over there". He is interested in things like how I use my time and money. What type of relationships do I have. It reminds me of the scripture that talks about how God has laid out specific work for us to do.

    One more thing that this scripture clarified for me, was the importance of clearing the existing people from the lands. I know they had to fight for the Promised Land, but I always pictured it as sparsely populated. When I read about all the cities and apparently large developed cities, I understand the danger of God's People just moving in with them. The would be under a foreign law with foreign God's on every street corner. The land needed a new start with a new people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette said....Good job, Amy, summarizing some difficult passages. Details, details, details.....God is very precise, isn't He?? And I take comfort that He even knows the number of hairs on my grey head:) To me the best passage tho was "Then the land had rest from war." (Ch. 14. I would say it is about time!! Loved the way you ended your summary as a lead in for what's around the corner.....reading on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In all honesty as I was reading this chapter reading my mind wandered off a bit. But I did try to find a message in the reading. I am continually searching for God's voice in all the chapters. He knows every single fiber of my being and life. Thank you for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caleb was such an amazing man of faith!!! There are so many things we can learn from him and try to emulate...whole-hearted faith in God, courage, bravery, steadfast faith, patience, and perserverance.

    ReplyDelete