Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't forget


I get the impression that in these chapters, Moses may have wished he had the ability to actually hammer some things into the Israelites brains. He stresses not just the law and the commandments, but the God behind them, and his relationship to Israel.
"The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. It was not with out fathers that the Lord made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive today."
He's stressing that God's relationship is not just with those who have already passed, or even with Abraham, Isaac or Jacob, but with those standing in front of him on that day. He reminds them of the law, of their end of the bargain and reminds them that following that law consistently ensures long life and prosperity in a "land flowing with milk and honey."
Honestly, I think it may have been that beautiful land and prosperity that had Moses most concerned. I love these verses in chapter six:
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."
This is so applicable to us today. Listen to christian music or a devotional in the car on the way to school or running errands. Find ways at home to have reminders of God in front of you. Scriptures on the mirror, or maybe frame a family verse in a pretty way. You can find tons of ready made options of some of the most popular verses here. (Go look when you have some spare time- there's a lot!) It's so easy to get distracted by the things of this world, it's better to keep reminders right in front of us. Most importantly, memorize scripture. "Write it on your hearts". Jesus tells us later that "out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." It will be a whole lot easier to talk about the things of God if we have them cemented on our hearts.
Right after those verses Moses tells Israel, "when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord." Oh, how easy it is to forget the Lord when we are "satisfied." When we feel like we don't need anything else from him at the moment. We life is good and we're enjoying the harvest. I'm so thankful that God gives us those times- we need them. But we don't need to forget that every good thing comes from Him.
In chapter seven, Moses reminds the Israelites of that.
"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."
Moses reminds them that God did not choose them based on their own merits, but based on His own character and promises. How thankful I am, and how much I need to remember, that it's God's goodness and grace alone that I have come to be counted as one of His children. Thank you Lord.
What do you do to keep scripture at the forefront of your mind? What do you do to teach your children the word of God? How do you "write it on the doorframes of your house and on your gates?"

7 comments:

  1. Jeanette said.....Great post, Amy! I know your baby is beautiful & precious, just like all your other children! Thank you for your commitment! I pray that God will give you times of rest & special times to enjoy this little one!

    Enjoyed everyone's comments. Ch.3,Verse 26 jumps out at me when Moses said, "Because of YOU the Lord was angry with me and would not listen to me!" Ouch! Seems as tho Moses is blaming the Israelites rather than taking full responsibility for his action that lost him the privilege of entering the Promised Land! How often do we try to put a guilt trip on others for the consequences of our own wrong decisions?? But God is so GOOD! As Paul Harvey used to say, "And NOW.....for the REST OF THE STORY!" I can just see the smile on Moses face when God placed him in the midst of the Promise Land with Elijah & Jesus! I just love it!!! Love all the comments....so interesting & keeping me in the Word! Reading on.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette said......Oops! Somehow my post from today is "Gone With the Wind!" So frustrating.....Thanks for your post, Natalie. Loved the Ch. 6 verse & your suggestions for keeping God in minds & hearts. When my grandchildren were little, I would send them off to preschool by putting on lipstick, then kiss the back of their hands & say, "Remember, Nana loves you and Jesus does too!" And I am so happy that our church is starting up the AWANA program that focuses on memorizing Scripture. Hope this post finds its way to the right day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie - I too loved your post. Those verses are some of my favorites. I loved your ideas as well and went to the web site - some lovely things. I do listen to Christian music at home and always have it in the car as well. Keeps me grounded (especially in traffic)and I hope it is going deep into my soul as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious verses, indeed!!! I love the following verses, too (20-24) when God tells His people what to say when their children ask questions about the requirements and commandments. Don't you know they asked questions?!??! :) I'm one of those annoying children....."but, why, mom?" I questioned everything from eating veggies to picking up Easter eggs. I'm so thankful that God told these parents what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie - I really liked the way you connected these chapters in Deut. with what Jesus said in the Gospels. Jesus also defended Himself against Satan during His 40 days of temptation in the wilderness by quoting this very book. In addition, He used some of the verses you quoted to answer the religious leaders as to what the GREATEST commandment was - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all you soul, and all your mind." Must be an important Scripture if Jesus quoted it!!! Once again, I just LOVE the connectivity of the Bible from one cover to the other!

    Some ways that I try to impress these things on my children is that I do not listen to any other music other than praise and worship music, we have verses quoted in different ways throughout our house as well as the Ten Commandments posted, and I set the example. This is the MOST powerful thing you can do with your children is to let them see YOU in the Word several times throughout the day and to set the example of making God a priority. When our girls were playing soccer, we always told their coaches that they would NOT be at any practices that were on Wedensday evenings or at any games that were on Sunday mornings. These are VERY POWERFUL messages we are sending when we do things like this. They are CONSTANTLY being bombarded by the enemy through all kinds of ways all day everyday so I am going to make SURE they get GOD, AMEN?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette said......AMEN & AMEN, Mindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These chapters keep getting better and better in Deuteronomy. The verses are relevant for everyday living. As I live my daily life I show Allison God through my daily Bible readings, nightly prayer and family devotion and just having meaningful conversations about life. Christian music is a great avenue to help children (no matter the age) praise and worship. Posting scripture on the mirrors is an excellent tool.

    ReplyDelete