Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Offerings for the Tabernacle

This chapter tells us about the Israelite tribes working together to support the work of the Levites, who were in charge of the tabernacle. To begin with, after the tabernacle is finished, Moses anointed and consecrated the tabernacle and all the furnishings and the alter and utensils. The Levites had been divided into groups and given specific duties to be in charge of in setting up and taking down the tabernacle. When the tribal leaders brought their offering of six carts and twelve oxen Moses was instructed to give them to the Levites as their work required. The carts and oxen were for the purpose of transporting the tabernacle through the wilderness. Two carts and four oxen were given to the Gershon family; they were to transport the fabrics of the tabernacle. Four carts and eight oxen were given to the Merari family; they were to transport the boards and pillars of the tabernacle. The family of Kohath did not receive carts or oxen because they were to carry all the holy things on their shoulders.

Then we read about the gifts brought to be dedicated to the tabernacle. Each tribe brought their gifts, one on each day for twelve days. Each tribal leader brought exactly the same offering over the twelve days. These were very generous gifts. I won’t go through the list but I read in one commentary that God was trying to show them how to be generous givers. They had been in slavery for so long they had the mind-set to be a taker because of the uncertainty of provision. God wanted them to learn that He provides all their needs. Also, by each bringing the same gift protects them from glorifying themselves through giving.

There have been times in my life that because the money got tight or the future seemed uncertain I wanted to clinch to everything in my possession. But who does everything belong to anyway? I own nothing. My God owns it all.

5 comments:

  1. I love the practicality of the first offerings in this chapter... carts and oxen to help move the tabernacle as the Isrealites journeyed. God continues to reveal His plan to His people and NOTHING is forgotten. How I wish I could trust that all the time!

    Amy, you made a great point about the tribal offerings being identical to protect them from gloryfying themselves through giving more than the any of the other tribes. I was wondering about that when reading this chapter. I don't recall that God told them exactly what to bring. (maybe I missed that?)

    My NIV study notes point out that these offerings were also made immediately following the "Priestly Blessing" (Num 6:22-27). They responded to God's blessings and promise of graciousness with their gifts and offerings. What an appropriate response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette said.....Thanks, Amy for your practical insights! I love all this organizational stuff! But, I feel God is convicting me re: spring cleaning......not only my home, but myself!!

    From this passage, I also see the wisdom of God in assigning work tasks to each person. Makes me think of "the idle mind is the devil's work shop!" I would think if I were wandering around the desert, it could be very boring & lead to trouble if I had nothing specific to do. God gave them a task w/a purpose, which builds self esteem and also obedience & faithfulness to the task & TO HIM!!

    And re: giving....seems this just confirms the pastor's Sunday message! Ouch! I'm committed to cooking more at home & bring the savings in to God's house. (I had forgotten the suggestion from Pastor Ronnie to skip eating out 1x/week & give the extra to help out our church during these tough times).

    Love all ya'lls comments. You are blessing me so! Read on, dear Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How we all need to be reminded to give what belongs to God back to him. I am thankful that I was raised in a home where I was taught to "tithe," and it was never hard for me. (I didn't know that you could "choose" not to:)) But, for some people this is very hard - it takes a lot of committment and faith, especially when times are tough. I have seen His faithfulness in my life. I'm praying that our Oak Hill folks will realize the importance of giving and I loved Brother Ronny's message on Sunday!!

    Thanks Amy for putting this in concise and understandable terms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again ladies...God's Word is alive!! I never would have thought to receive such fantastic insights on a this "tedious" chapter in Numbers. I also just LOVE it when God connects a sermon with what you are studying in His Word! Amy, I like the point you made about bringing the exact same things as offerings so that no one glorifies themselves in their giving. What a great application for us today. One of the greatest blessings I have received is giving to others ANONYMOUSLY. When we do this there is NO glory in it for us and it ALL goes to the Lord. Jesus also tells us that our reward in heaven will be greater because we did not receive any recognition for it here on earth. My study Bible also pointed out that the order in which the offerings were brought to the Lord was the SAME order in which they were to march when moving the camp. This just once again confirms that our God is a God of order and great detail. Thanks for this wonderful post Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE GIVING OFFERINGS TO GOD AND READING ABOUT HOW PEOPLE BRING THEIR OFFERINGS TO GOD. MOST OF ALL I LOVE THAT WE ARE PLEASING GOD WHEN WE GIVE HIM BACK WHAT IS HIS ALREADY. IF YOU HAVE TAKEN THE CROWN STUDY THE FIRST THING WE LEARN IS WE DO NOT OWN ANYTHING. EVERYTHING BELONGS TO GOD AND HE "ALLOWS" US TO USE IT. WE DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE HOLY OF HOLIES TO TALK TO HIM HE IS RIGHT HERE WITH US. WHAT A BLESSING.
    GOOD NITE

    ReplyDelete