Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Facing the Giants?

If you've never met my Grandpa, you are missing out! He is a mess going to cause one, and is always the life of the party. He blows his train whistle in crowded restaurants, and talks to everyone in the room, never meeting a stranger! Whenever his invisible dog, Spot, comes up missing, rest assured he'll start calling him....even in the middle of Walmart. He is unique to say the least. And another thing, he's rearing to go.....and has a temper to go with it. He tells us stories of his days in the Navy and on the job when he settled things with a swift punch to the mouth of whomever wouldn't listen to reason (uh, his reason, that is). And, he's always been so strong! He was throwing bales of hay over the fence when most men his age were watching from the front porch. One thing about him sets him apart though, he loves the Lord... I've heard him pray the house down many times!!! He has even been known to give an altar call at a birthday party! My favorite story to hear him tell is about the guy at work, who didn't believe in God, and how "God showed him"....but that's a story for another day. The point is, he doesn't back down from much, and at the young age of 85 I doubt anyone would want to settle things in a fistfight with him! Grandpa's "of a different spirit" you might say.....
Our man, Caleb, reminds me of my Grandpa. He too, was "of a different spirit". When Moses sent 12 spies to scout the land of Canaan, 10 of them came back with a scaredy-cat report. The people all around Caleb trembled and wallowed in fear of the "giants" in the land God had promised to them. But, not Caleb! I can just hear him now, "Oh, we can TAKE 'EM! Let me at 'em!" Caleb knew if God was for them, who could be against them? Joshua was faithful, too. From the time Caleb and Joshua laid eyes on the Promised Land, they knew it was theirs. God's judgment to see that all the unfaithful people, those who didn't trust Him, would die in the wilderness was swift. However, Joshua and Caleb remained focused through the many years in the desert, and never doubted that the next time they entered the land of Canaan that they would take it because God had promised it to them! Sometimes, we Christians can let fear immobilize us....we become afraid to fail, afraid to get hurt, afraid to offend or make mistakes and end up missing out of what God had for us. He has promised to go with us, we must trust He can handle whatever comes.

I wonder if it was hard for Caleb, and for Joshua, to see an entire generation die? I wonder if they got up every morning with renewed determination to follow God, or were they often bogged down by life around him? Think about it.....Caleb had to stand strong for the Lord, when friends and family chose the opposite direction. How could he be so strong of mind? ...and body? You know how I think men like that stay young? They keep loving the Lord and His people, they never stop learning, they always find reason to laugh, they keep listening for the voice of God, and they never stop laboring. We would be wise to follow this example.

My Grandpa will be 86 this year. I've seen him pray for everything from a good parking spot at Golden's Restaurant to the peaceful passing of his beloved wife. He's a leader. He's the patriarch. He loves the Lord with all his heart. I love him for it all. I hope I'm like my Grandpa when I'm his age because something tells me, this world's gonna need it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jaybrena, what a beautiful post! I'm smiling and smiling! Your Grandpa is a lot like Caleb and other Godly men who "stand up" and "stand out!" How fortunate you have been to have him in your life - and I bet that's where you get your sense of humor too!

    It is a beautiful thing to see men of God on their knees - and I have never loved my husband more than when I have seen him on his knees in prayer or at the altar! Godly men, we need you.

    Forty years is a long time to watch others around you fall and die away before you can move on out with God leading without losing your faith or hope. I don't believe any of us have waited that long. And I hope we don't have to. "I'm just sayin'. . ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaybrena, Your Grandfather is truly "one of a kind". I think of all that he has been through in his life and yet he still loves the Lord with all his heart.

    I wonder if the ones who were afraid to take the land ever though about what their doubts cost those like Caleb who were ready to go. I wonder if my faithless decisions ever cost other people time, money, joy, opportunity etc.

    Praying today for the faith of Caleb in all my decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a daddy like that and he was a strong spiritual leader at Oak Hill. I, like Barbara smiled as I read your blog. It is so good to smile. The scripture in Numbers 15:37 make me remember our bible study " Believing God" and our blue bracelets we wore to remind us to believe what God teaches us. I almost feel we need something around our neck or on our arm now to remind us God is in control. We must trust Him andlook for his guidance so we will recieve the promised MAN. Please pray with me as we wait that we will not grow weary in doing good. We were taught: God is who He says He is.
    God can do what he says he can do.
    I am who God says I am.
    I cando all things through Christ.
    God's word is alive and active in me.
    When the spirit came on them they knew this and we have the Spirit with us. Thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to stay strong now as never before. We need to be like Caleb, Joshua, and your granddad. "Bring it on" we will fight for our Lord. People are trying to bring our country down by taking God out of everything. We Christians must fight to see this does not happen.
    I so enjoyed hearing about your granddad and hope I can be like him and stay strong in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Boots - I just want to say that I think you ARE like Jaybrena's Grandpa! You are one of the Godliest women I know! Jaybrena - thank you so much for telling us about this WONDERFUL man in your life! We need to NOT take for granted all of the VERY special people in our lives that have influenced us and lovingly led us throughout our lives! I could not agree more that we as Christians need to take a MUCH stronger, more vocal stand in the path our country is taking. We need to "fight"! I know we have ultimately won the war, but we need to win some of these important battles too!! Fantastic post and wonderful comments ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaybrena-Thank you for the story of your Grandpa and his strong faith and relationship with God. That is just awesome!!! I hope when I am in my 80's I am praising God and thanking Him for all the good times as well as bad times. My mom and dad are in there 60's and they are continuously showing us (as grown children now) how to trust and rely on the Lord.

    Excellent post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I love your personal stories Jaybrena and getting to know you more through them :)

    It's amazing to me that Moses continues and continues and continues to plead to God to save the Israelites. How tempted I would be to give them over to God's judgement and punishment. I can learn a lot from Moses about seeing the potential in people and not giving up on someoene or thinking that they are not worthy or never will come to know Christ. For God so loved the world... that means everyone!

    ReplyDelete