Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, March 11, 2011

God's Not a Bully

God didn't just pick on little clans of people for Israel to massacre....He deals by complete justice. For review....Israel had camped next to the Moabites in the land of Midian. The Moabites rallied the Midianites against Israel convincing them that they'd "be licked up like an ox licks grass from a field" if they didn't do something about those pesky Israelites. Together, they sought out a "prophet" who would place a curse on Israel. (He was a fake prophet, if you will....a man who was in it for the diplomacy of it all, not so much the divination. Well, unless you mean the divination fee, now THAT was something he liked...money. But, isn't it just like our sovereign God to even use this pretender for His own glory?) Only problem with their plan to get Israel cursed is that Balaam couldn't curse them, as God did not allow it. However, Balaam still wanted his "prophet" fee so he did the next best thing: He set Israel up to curse themselves. God reveals the reason the Midianites had to be served justice. Balaam had advised (v.16) that they send their immoral women over to tempt the Israelites into sin. Israel fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and God had 24,000 put to death for willful sin against Him. They were dead wrong. But, God deals by complete justice, right? So of course He went after Midianites, too. All of the men were killed, including 5 kings, and Balaam, himself. The women, children, and animals were taken. And the Midianite's cities were burned to the ground. Don't mess with Israel, or her righteous Defender.

Why were 12,000 men told to take revenge on the Midianites? Why didn't God just send a plague or something? Aren't we told to overcome evil with good? ...to never repay evil for evil? ...to live at peace with all men as far as possible? Hmmmmmm. God's vengeance is different than ours. For one, He can take a lot more junk than we can! It's His timing and His purpose that has to be worked out. If we had license to take revenge, it could be disastrous! We'd likely serve our own agenda rather than God's....He is long-suffering and holy.

Hey...why march all those adulterous women back into the Israelite camp?!?!? Weren't they the reason Israel was in trouble? The seed of evil was still there. Moses ordered all women who had known a man, and all the male children to be killed. Seems harsh? I thought of the flood. Surely there were"innocent" women and children then, too? I don't know.....seems to me that the Lord knows what He's doing. Like some terrible, incurable disease those women would infect the people of Israel. They already did, actually.

And what about that miracle outcome in battle?? Listed first, we have the purification of those in Israel and all of the spoils of war after this battle, as well as the rations and taxes for all. But, as the booty was added up, and the spoils divided the miracle began to be revealed. Based on the number of women left, there must have been 40-50,000 men for Israel to conquer! And not a SINGLE Israelite life was lost! The people gave thanks to their God, knowing it was by His hand that they had won. They gave all the glory to Him. I do wonder, though... of all those donkeys taken, was one of them Balaams? :)

And what was up with Reuben and Gad? I mean they basically said, "Ummm, y'all go ahead and fight for your promised land....we like it here." Moses told them, no way! Do you think he remembered 40 yrs ago when Israel had stopped right outside the border of their promised land?? I don't know. But, the next plan was just as flawed. Their new idea was, "Okay, so let us build some fences for our sheep and put our tents here, then we'll go help you get the inheritance and we'll come back here to stay." Again....what? God's plan is for their best. He promised them HIS best. Did they really think that this was as good as it gets?? Then I am reminded.....do I? Sadly, yes. Sometimes I'm guilty of thinking this is the best He has to offer, after all it's so wonderful! But, He promises so much more....
Why not be safe, and dance with the One that brought ya? huh? They stayed and built sheepfolds.....Not just Reuben and Gad, but a half-tribe of Manasseh, together on the wrong side of the Jordan. The wrong side of the promised land. And does anyone else sense trouble when they started naming all their cities after themselves? Moses warned them with the words I think my Mom borrowed from him, "Be sure your sin will find you out" if you don't do right. I suppose I'm guilty of staying in the wilderness for far longer than God had asked, too. But, I wonder what will become of these that stayed in the wilderness boundaries......

God help me to not become too comfy, but to press on.

9 comments:

  1. Alot to think about and understand and you did a great job at 6am to explain it. It just amazes me what we are learning.
    Yesterday's reading made me wonder where they got all those bulls and lambs they offered till I read today's reading about how many animals they brought back with them. My word they really made a haul.
    Jaybrena I also noticed in 31:48-50 they realized not one of them had been killed and they offered gold rings and earrings to God for their safety. Which was a good thing. But they had to bring all those women with them and mess up everything. It makes me know we are very instrumental in God's plan for the GOOD or the BAD. Please Dear Lord let it be for the GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jaybrena..."let us not become to comfy, but press on." It is so tempting to look around when things are good and say, "you know, I'm good here. Thanks God. That's all I needed," as if He is some divine Genie in a bottle that we get to command to make us comfortable. Lord, help us to remember that we are NOT at home here in this world, that there is something greater on the other side, to not grow weary and lose heart, and that for as long as you give us in this world we are to keep on pressing on! Amen! Keep pressing on in the word ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette said....Jaybrena, I loved your comment about the 24,000 being put to death for willful sin being "dead wrong"! When we insist in going our own wrongful way, we are dead to the Holy Spirit's voice, or we haven't even thought about seeking Godly counsel! Still reading.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way the message Bible puts it "you can be sure that your sin will track you down"

    Anyone else wonder how they determined which women were virgins?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered that, too Harriet. I'd like to think that the marital/sexual status of these women would be apparent by clothes and jewelry, but that's not exactly foolproof. Another thought crossed my mind that maybe those things we read about in Leviticus about the woman accused of adultery having to drink water....whether it was bitter or sweet decided her guilt before the priests? God never said war was pretty, but maybe He had a way for the soldiers to know? I mean he made Aaron's rod sprout almond blossoms! :)

    I think that's why I kept hearing in my heart that God is not a bully. Many people out there choose stories like this from the Bible as grounds that God cannot mean well for us. But, He is holy, and we are not....we can justify many things....He will not. The study of Revelation last year really helped me to see God differently, but I don't seek to understand Him. That, is most likely impossible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to think about and ponder in these chapters - war, women, not wanting to go into the promised land, but stay where it looked good! I wonder do I do that as well - feel contentment sometimes when I know I should press on? What were they thinking - that they had come all this way for their two tribes (Reuben and Gad) to stay behind? I think I would have worried that God would have moved on out and left me stranded if I didn't cross the Jordan after 40 years! Great job Jaybrena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a lot to ponder in these chapters. I am sad to see how the story of Balaam ends, but love Jaybrena's point: "Don't mess with Israel, or her righteous Defender!"

    I vaguely remembered that 2 1/2 tribes didn't make it to the Promised Land. Now, it makes sense. I wonder if they were tired of traveling and thought tht the land on the east of the river was probably just as good as the land to the west.

    Barbara, I agree... I would be afraid to stay behind too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fantastic post Jaybrena and some GREAT comments ladies!!! Jaybrena - I loved it when you thought about whether or not one of the animals the Israelites brought back was Balaam's donkey? I never thought about that. That had to be one special donkey - and don't forget the donkey is a member of that amazing EQUINE species! :) I also loved the comment about us getting comfortable with where we are at and becoming complacent. That reminded me of the part of "The Prayer of Jabez" when it states to "expand my territory". Satan wants nothing more than for Christians to become complacent because then we become ineffective for God's Kingdom! Please let us guard against this sin of omission! God loves us too much to leave us the way we are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaybrena, the reading today had a great deal of information to absorb in one sitting. I gleaned a few thiings: God is a sovereign God even when we don't understand the outcome, God works things for our good and His glory, and we must always remember God is in control of EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete