Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A delightful inheritance


In these chapters, as well as the ones before and a few after them, it's like we're reading someone else's will, and we have no part in the inheritance. It's easy to mentally check out. In fact, if I hadn't had to write this post today, I might have. I'm glad I didn't. I hope you don't. Because the reality is, we ARE included in this inheritance. The good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome.
"What do you mean, Natalie? We don't live in Israel?"

Oh, I'm so glad you asked.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first, shall we? At the end of Chapter 17, we see the tribes of Ephriam and Mannaseh whining about the work ahead of them. "Why have you given us only one allotment and one portion for an inheritance? We are a numerous people and the Lord has blessed us abundantly." We certainly fall into this inheritance of thinking we deserve more than we've been given, and not wanting to work for it. Drink in this exchange. Act it out or something.

Joshua: "If you are so numerous, and if the hill country of Ephraim is too small for you, go up into the forest and clear land for yourselves there in the land of the Perizzites and Rephaites."
Ephriam/Mannaseh: "The hill country is not enough for us, and all the Canaanites who live in the plain have iron chariots, both those in Beth Shan and it's settlements and those in the Valley of Jezreel."
Joshua: "You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and the farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out."

Are you laughing yet? Can you hear the whining in the Israelites voices and Joshua's bemused correction to them? I laughed because I see myself in these people so much. They SAW and participated in the fall of Jericho, as well as the 31 other amazing victories God helped them win. Now they are fussing about having to clear land and fight people with chariots. God gives us a few victories and then we want to say "haven't I done enough already Lord? Where is MY blessing?"
The result was that, even though these people agreed to fight like Joshua told them to, they never held up their end of the deal. So many other tribes left remnants behind. God specifically told them to drive out everyone, and leave nothing behind. They got complacent. Maybe it was convenient. Some of the tribes kept other peoples as slave labor. What sin do you keep around because you are too lazy to drive it out? Is some sin convenient for you? The lesson we can learn from these people- our "inheritance" - is that while sin may seem innocuous and perhaps even convenient at first, it soon leads to all kinds of other trouble.

Notice that God already had the boundary lines laid out for each tribe. Joshua assigned each one based on what God told him, and it lined up with the prophecies of both Jacob and Moses years before. God has given us boundary lines as well. We are assigned places of ministry, sphere's of influence and areas of service. God has work for us to do there.

"Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world
and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
Ephesians 6:12

The good news? We can overcome. We can be like Caleb was and aggressively pursue what God has promised us. We can fight confidently because we know what our God is capable of. The end of the story isn't up for grabs. God wins. To be able to be fighting on that side is a beautiful inheritance. We will get to claim our own promised land one day. God already has our boundary lines drawn. So get on with clearing your land! Set about claiming your inheritance!

Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:5-6

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Natalie! I was so encouraged through your words. I appreciate the comments about our boundaries and our areas of ministry and influence. And also that "clearing our land" can seem like work to us, but that is God's plan. His Yoke is easy and His burden is light...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can drive out the enemy. Yes, we can clear the land and claim our inheritance. But, I'm so glad you reminded us that identifying the TRUE enemy is what trips us up sometimes.

    Are we busy driving out the wrong thing in our lives, having allowed the true enemy to convince us it's our brother? sister? boss? other? Our hearts are deceitful, and we can easily decide to turn against the very people we should run to....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, thanks for a great post! God continues a plan for each of our lives. To listen to God's plan instead of our own plan is critical to true obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many times I have tried to talk God into MY PLAN instead of listening to His plan. Clearing the land - oh how I need to do that - it would be so much easier in the long run!! Driving out the enemies instead of letting them slip by and then having to deal with them later - as they are much stronger than at first.

    Lord, help me to see clearly my boundaries, your plan and my enemies! Give me eyes to see and hear to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic post Natalie!! You have such a gift for this!! I can so identify with the grumbling and complaining Israelites. I am more like them than I really care to admit I am sorry to say! I also am just like them in that I have had a sin in the recent past that I have struggled with for a very long time and I am FINALLY driving this one out of my life! Thanks be to God!!! I loved the verses that you quoted from Ephesians and Psalms...once again we see the connectivity of Scripture...it is just so COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete