Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

True praise

As I read today's psalms I couldn't help but think how great and wonderful our God is. And on the heels of that thought came the thought that all too often I take Him for granted. So often, we think of praising Him as consisting of a song, music, something we do at a specific time in church. The rest of our time, we go about enjoying His blessing and benefits without even giving HIM a second thought. More and more, God is showing me that praise to Him starts with simply a grateful heart.
A few months ago, my mother-in-law sent me a link to this video of the Kimyal people. They are an isolated tribe in Indonesia who have fallen in love with Jesus. The video is of the day they are delivered the Bible in their own language. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it. The prayers of these people, and their heartfelt praise and thanksgiving for something we take so for granted is moving, convicting, and uplifting. They have a REAL church service, complete with spears, bones, and tribal dancing. Oh, to have been there with them! Watching it makes me so excited for the day we will all praise God together in Heaven. Enjoy. And spend some time praising your God today! Maybe even dance a little...


6 comments:

  1. WOW Natalie. What an amazing video and message! Thank you so much. How grateful are these people for the Word, and we take it so for granted. How many Bibles do I have in my house?? and here these precious people have waited for years for one they could read in their own language. What a faith they have. When he spoke of Simeon seeing the Christ and related it to his life, I just wept!

    If I were giving out ribbons for the "Best Post for the Year" - this would win hands down!! Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we in the US regarded the Bible with such reverence and respect as they do, just think what we could do. When I went to Belize, one of the things that amazed me was few had Bibles but they stood when the Word was read. I went to Chapel at my granddaughters camp (Camp Barnabas is a camp for young people who want to serve the Lord), one of the readers asked everyone to stand out of respect for the reading of God's Word. I don't think we disrespect God's word but I do think we take it and God's blessings for granted. No matter what God gives us, we want and expect more while these people have nothing and don"t complain. Let me never forget just how blessed I am. Thank you Lord for your blessings on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally have about 80 Bibles in my possession...I have just been reminded in full force how much I take having the Word of God so readily available to me...it is right there whenever I want to pick it up and read it in its entirety. They were "only" getting the New Testament! And I have 80 FULL Bibles!!! The respect, awe, amazement, reverance, and gratitiude that this tribe has for God's Holy Word is just overwhelming!!! I am with Ms. Barbara on awarding this post the "Best Post of the Year" award! This REALLY puts things in perspective and makes me realize how INCREDIBLY blessed I am. Thank you, thank you for sharing this with us Natalie! I will NEVER look upon the precious words of ALL 80 of my Bibles in the same way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should we not share the word with those who are not as fortunate as we are. When we was in Belize, the teens that went with us gave their Bibles to those kids they had been witnessing to. I thought what an unselfish act and what a delight to hear of there doing that. When we have a missionary team going someplace, I think it would be a great idea to ask people to donate a Bible for the group to take with them and pass out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with that Ms. Boots!!! I guess we should maybe talk to Kevin Napier about that for the any upcoming mission trips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, this post definitely receives "Best Post of the Year". The tears just started flowing as I watched the people in this tribe get truly excited about the Bible and what it means to them. Like Mindy, I have many Bibles I could donate to others. May I never take the Bible forgranted ever again.

    ReplyDelete