Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Lord is my Strength

The Hebrews used the book of Psalms for their hymnals. Today many of the songs we sing are also taken from the Psalms. There are times when reading Psalms that I am reminded of a song and will start singing. Many people claim a passage from Psalms as their life-verse. Both Terry and Natalie have a verse in Psalms as their life-verse. As a matter of fact, Natalie's verse is in the Chapters we are reviewing right now. Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

King David is credited with about 70 chapters. Chapters 26-31 are all written by David. While Chapters 26-29 just say Psalm of David, Chapter 30 is for a dedication to the house of David; and Chapter 31 is written for the Chief Musician.

In Psalm 26 David is telling God to examine him and to judge him because he walks with integrity. I like verse 11, "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity; redeem me, and be merciful unto me."

Psalm 27 is a psalm of light and salvation. If God is for us who can stand against us.

In Chapter 28 the Lord is my strength. In verse 8 it tells us, "The Lord is their strength, and He is the saving strength of His anointed.

Psalm 29 tells us that we should glory to the Lord. Verse 11 is a promise to those who follow the Lord, "The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace."

While Chapter 30 is the dedication of the house of David, I see it also as comfort in the time of grief at a passing away of a loved one. Verses 3, 5, and verse 11 gives me the peace that God is with us even in death.

Psalms 31 asks God for guidance as seen in verse 3. "For thou art my rock and my fortress, therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me."

Whatever situation we are going through in life, the "songs of life" (Psalms) will see us through. Sometimes just reading the Psalms will give us peace. As we go through this book, may we all find something that we need in our daily life.

2 comments:

  1. Ms Boots, I loved your translation of my life verse: "Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and he shall strengthen thy heart..." I have found that to be true! :) I pray we all find something to life our spirits in the psalms....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you break this down Ms. Boots! Psalms is just SO VERY rich and full of treasure! I agree with you totally about the verses out of chapter 30 being comforting in the passing of a loved one. All you need is a good concordance to find anything you need help with in this tough and crazy world...read on brothers and sisters and refresh your soul!

    ReplyDelete