Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Several of these psalms today, including Psalm 46, are called "songs of Zion" because of the reference to the Holy City, Jerusalem. In this psalm, it tells of God preserving his people even during cosmic tumults like earthquakes and floods. And this particular Psalm was what inspired Martin Luther's hymn, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, written in 1529 - that's a while back ladies.



A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing,

Our helper He, amid the flood, of mortal ills prevailing:

For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;

His craft and power are great, and armed with cruel hate,

On earth is not his equal.



Even if this world as we know it ends, we should not fear. The best advice - be still and know that I am God.



Psalm 47 - Clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with a voice of praise. OK, so I have to admit - I love songs of praise, choruses, hymns of joy - but I'm not one for loud clapping or shouting in church. (I know, I know - it's my "age.") But here we are given a suggestion, even urged, to "shout to God" with a voice of praise. This is a beautiful Psalm, and from what I read, was written to summon all the world to praise the God of Israel as king. Now, that I can do! The commentaries I read said that this was probably written to accompany a religious ceremony and was connected with the Ark of the Covenant or with the Assyrian invasion of Judah (which we read about in II Kings), but we can use it any time as a reminder to give our praise to God.



Psalm 48 Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised in the city of our God. Here we have another "song of Zion" which praises Jerusalem as a type of visible sign of the reign of God. Jerusalem was a beautiful city, and since the temple was in the midst of the city, it was seen and described as the center of God's holy presence in the world. Remember how often the phrase "holy Presence" was used, especially by David, in the books that we have read? Zion also may refer to the actual temple itself. In Rev. 14:1, it refers to the heavenly Jerusalem, the place where the Lamb will appear at the end of time.



Psalm 49 But man, despite his riches, does not endure . . . This psalm is almost a "sermon" on the earthly life, the quest for riches and wealth, and then death. Maybe it should be entitled "You can't take it with you." Lots of people strive for wealth, holdings, "stuff"(as my Mom used to say) in this life. But, in the end, it is all so meaningless. Life is brief - as Amy said in her post - life is but a breath. Like a vapor. Rich or poor, when we leave this earth the only thing that matters is what we have invested in our eternal heritage. Our treasures must be in heaven. Let's place our "investments" where they really matter.



Psalm 50 For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills . . . What a beautiful picture. God owns everything - this is my Father's world, I rest me in the thought. Here I go again with the "all creatures great and small theme" that runs through my life. Years ago my husband and I took a trip to California. We rented a car and drove for miles and miles along the Big Sur and the northern coast, and it was just breath-taking - the cliffs, the hills, the pastures, the curves, the sea and the waves crashing on the rocks below. Just like in a movie scene. We came around a bend, and I remember seeing a lush, green, hilly pasture with cattle grazing all around - and this verse came to my mind - the cattle on a thousand hills. What a beautiful psalm and what a beautiful world He has given to us to live in. How can we not but praise our God!! (OK, even with loud clapping and shouting!!)



5 comments:

  1. What encouraging words to read this morning, Mrs. Barbara! Thank you!!! I love to learn more about Jerusalem, and it's wonderful to think of the ways the Lord will bring all of this together for us.....of course, He'll probably do it in such a way that we can't even imagine! Praise His Name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has been really convicting me lately about "investing in my eternal heritage." These psalms really life the soul don't they?? There is nothing like celebrating the majesty and power of God to inspire praise and realign our priorities. What an excellent post! And, I hope one day I can take the same drive down the norther california coast that you did- how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Barbara - I have actually made that same drive and there are just NO words to describe how beautiful and majestic it is! I just do not know how you can see such beauty and NOT think that there is a Creator!!! I LOVE the way you broke down your post again this week too! It is so very hard to store your treasures in heaven when the whole world is constantly bombarding you to store them here on earth! But one day...one day...we will be rewarded for not placing value on the things of this temporary life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to, loved that drive. My oldest daughter was in San Diego and my youngest in Redding so we made the ride. All of the West makes me think of God and His wonderful creation He gave us to live in. Sometimes seeing the beauty makes me think of a song that I heard as a teen. Most of you will not recognize it maybe all but it was a favorite with me. "Oh the place where I worship is the wide open spaces built by the hands of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you all that is a beautiful drive. I think all of the West makes me thankful for the wonderful world God has created for us to live in. One of my favorite songs as a teen; many, if not all, of you will probably never heard it but it said, "Oh, the place where I worship is the wide open spaces built by the hands of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete