Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Selflessness

I woke up this morning with this word on my mind. I know I am selfish, but in reality, have no idea how selfish I am. When compared to some of the selfless deeds of those in the Bible, well... I don't even like to think about it. Jesus of course gave the ultimate sacrifice of his life for the sins of the world. Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac is also at the top of my list. I am quite confident that I would not have passed that test with my only son. And Moses... wow! I know he was an imperfect human, but his continued obedience to God is amazing and almost unfathomable. God calls each of us to this level of selfless obedience.

So, how do we get there?

As I read through these Psalms today, I looked for selfless acts, thoughts, emotions. Here are some examples for us to learn from:
  • Those who minister in the house of the Lord and its courts (135:2)
  • Those who offer praise and worship to the Lord (135:19-21; 138:1-5)
  • The Lord's perfect love endures forever (136)
  • Those who recognize and are humbled by God's intimate knowledge God of us (139:1-4)
  • God made each person in a very special way... fearfully and wonderfully. (139:13-14)
  • Those who seek to understand God's thoughts (139:17-18)
  • Those who ask God to search, test, and correct them (139:23-24)
We we start to truly grasp God' greatness and our need for Him, we begin to humble our hearts and minds. Then, He can reveal to us who He is and how He wants to use us for His glory.

As Pastor Chris said yesterday during his sermon, we can achieve the sweet blessing of unity when we are thinking of others more than ourselves. How fitting that the first Psalm of our reading today is a perfect confirmation to the sermon yesterday?

How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!
It is like precious oil poured on the head... running down on Aaron's beard...
It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.
~Psalm 133

In Psalm 133, God tells us that unity is evidence of the consecration of the body of believers. The definition of consecrate is "dedicated to a sacred purpose". That's us! What a privilege, responsibility, and blessing it is!

As busy as life gets, we can easily forget our "sacred purpose". What are some selfless things that we can do today? Maybe make that phone call that God had been nudging us to make. Call someone who needs encouragement and pray with them. Send that card that needs to be sent. Take a meal to someone. Stop, smile, and speak to those we come into contact with in the grocery store or gas station. Offer a sincere "thank you". Tell someone about that hope we have in Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. wonderful post terry! Some of my favorite verses are Psalm 139:23-24: "Search me O God and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." Praying that this morning as I think on my own selfishness and what God would be asking me to do for him today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 139 will always hold a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, your post spoke to my heart today. Life does get busy. But God wants us to slow down and think of others before our selfish goals and ambitions. I am a goal-oriented person who definitely needs to slow down and listen to others. Lord, help me slow down and think of others more than myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often get tickled when I see little ones fighting over one special toy and think "maybe next year will be the year they learn to share." It is a hard thing not to be selfish, but your post today Terry, helps us understand how selfless God is toward us and we need to follow his example.

    I love Psalm 139 too - so many familiar and beautiful words that come to mind often. While we were waiting for our new grandson to be born, I read this verse over and over. God "knit" him together perfectly - no "dropped stitches" (LOL) and I am forever thankful. Praise His name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry - love the "selfless" spin you did on your post today! What a struggle that is for all of us on a regular basis! The flesh is just so strong in wanting to look out for ourselves. As the other ladies have said, Psalm 139 is my most favorite Psalm. I love to pray it to the Lord. It's words just hit a special chord in my heart! Thanks for another great post Ms. Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete