Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Heart Attack....Spiritually Speaking

So, our ladies at church recently started exercising together in an effort to strengthen our bodies for His service. We meet twice a week for an intense 45-minute workout and leave totally drenched for our efforts. Although I enjoy the fellowship and the challenge, I still struggle with commitment. Most days I leave our time together wondering, "Why in the world do I do this to myself??!!? I still look the same as when I walked in here tonight, except now I need a shower!" I can become pretty discouraged with the lack of visible results, and decide it's a waste of time. But, lately I've been thinking. Although this particular effort focuses on the physical man, I think it may just apply to the spiritual man, too.

The Bible talks a lot about the health of our heart. Oh, it mentions our physical bodies for sure, but a great deal of time is spent addressing the issue of our spiritual being....specifically, the heart. In the Psalms, I've noticed over and over again the condition the writer finds himself in as he pours his heart out before the Lord. In today's passage we read David asking, "give me an undivided heart to fear Your Name. I will praise You...with all my heart..." It seems to me, that God seems very concerned with the condition of our inner man, our heart issues. Issues that include the mind, the soul, the will, the nature, and our emotions to name a few. Some phrases that come to mind are, "guard your heart, the wellspring of life....man looks at outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.....the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked.....a stubborn generation that did not prepare its heart....my heart is fixed on You."

God is trying to tell us something. Keeping your heart healthy requires WORK! It requires lots of intentional work, or you will be led astray. Our heart needs to be guarded from spiritual attack. Our heart needs to be purified and renewed. The heart needs to be spilled out....to be emptied of all burdens and cast them all at His feet. Our heart needs to be centered and focused on things of eternity. Our heart needs to be encouraged and comforted. Our hearts need to be prepared. Can I say that "keeping your heart" sometimes requires a bit of open-heart surgery??? Is that a bit scary? Not when you know the great Physician.

Heart Attacks occur.....physically, but also spiritually. I've read that issues of the human heart is the leading cause of physical death in our country, surpassing cancer and other diseases, car wrecks and violence. A sedentary lifestyle, with no exercise significantly increases chances of heart attack. I have committed to keep my heart healthy for as long as God allows, even though I can't always see the results. Something tells me it's working....small changes....a little more stamina......on the outside. The human heart also happens to be the cause of spiritual death. An unbelieving heart, that is. Our hearts cannot be trusted on their own. We are born with a sin nature. We must work at keeping our own heart spiritually healthy. A sedentary lifestyle, with no exercise significantly increases chances of spiritual heart attack. I asked the Lord to show me ways that I can keep my spiritual heart healthy. He has sometimes shown me things I should do, as well as things I shouldn't do. I don't always notice a change right after praying or singing or reading or serving, but I will not quit. Something tells me it's working....little by little.....I'm noticing a change......on the inside. But He's still working on me.

Jesus was asked, "Which of these is the greatest commandment?" And Jesus replied,
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

4 comments:

  1. Jaybrena, thanks so much for your candid words and such great reminders of things I should be doing :) Each one of us is a work in progress. Our progress (or lack of) is made on a daily basis. Small changes DO add up!

    As Pastor Chris is starting the study on Philippians, the word "joy" jumped out at me in 86:4. "Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you." The LORD brings joy as we put our trust in Him... as we are obedient to him to exercise our hearts and bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaybrena - I love the way you focused on our hearts, both physically and spiritually. God is MOST concerned with the condition of our hearts. As a matter of fact, that is His biggest concern when it comes to His children! And I agree wholeheartedly with the fact that we have to be VERY intentional about protecting the state of our hearts. If we are not very intentional, we will easily be ensnared by our sinful flesh and the Enemy. Love the post Jaybrena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Jaybrena! Two subjects near and dear to my "heart." Working in Fort Worth I was lucky enough to get to work in a Cardiovascular ICU, which means that we specialized in caring for people with really physically sick hearts. Bad heart attacks, open heart surgery, were just a few of the illnesses we took care of. I've seen first hand what happens to the body when the heart fails. I've also felt in my own life what happens when I quit exercising my spiritual muscles...and the results are not good. Lets leave it at that. I'm with you, this was a great post! Proverbs 4:23 (one of my favorite verses) says "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaybrena, I just loved your post. The heart (both physically and spiritually) affects every other organ in the body. When your heart is out of balance other aspects of our lives seem to follow in being unbalanced too. This post made me think is my heart right? Natalie, love the verse Proverbs 4:23. Protecting the heart harbors a healthy heart.

    ReplyDelete