Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Salvation and Blessings

As I write this post, my heart is so full! Yesterday, I spent a wonderful day with my church family. I am moved by seeing how God is working in and around my life. I am so thankful that He led my family to Williamson, GA and to Oak Hill Baptist. God is clearly moving in peoples' lives and it is an incredible blessing to be a small part of His work. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

In Psalms 32-35, we continue to read of David's prayers and testimony of God working in his life and those around him. Throughout David's honest and passionate God-inspired words, he consistently directs others and himself to fear God and trust Him as savior. David also provides guidance and instruction with clearly defined results for those who obey God and those who do not. Through David, God describes His salvation and blessings to us.

David describes God as his "hiding place". With God, he was able to rest with protection and sweet fellowship. Throughout his life, God saved David from a myriad of personal and public battles. Through these songs and prayers, we learn truth about that from which God saves us:
  • Sin - "Evil will slay the wicked"
  • Guilt - "When I kept silent, my bones wasted away"
  • Separation from God - "the face of the Lord is against those who do evil"
Freedom from sin and the associated guilt results in blessings from the Lord. David was able to exhort others to walk with God and from his own experience could also communicate God's blessings:
  • Deliverance - "he delivered me from all my fears"
  • Unfailing Love - "The earth is full of his unfailing love"
  • A Joyful Heart - "Sing joyfully to the Lord"; "In him our hearts rejoice"
  • Protection - "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them"
  • Comfort - "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted"
These are God's promises to us that we can claim in our own lives... today. Thank you, Lord, for your Word, your promises, your salvation and your blessings!

"Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD
and delight in his salvation...
My tongue will speak of your righteousness
and of your praises all day long."

~Psalm 35:9, 28


As we celebrate Independence Day in the United States of America, I want to thank God for the many blessings poured out on our country. Most of us have no idea how blessed we are or the sacrifices required for the freedom to live as we do. May we not take them for granted.

On behalf of the contributors to this blog, we are so very thankful for all of the men and women in the past, present and future who have showed incredible strength, honor, and sacrifice for our country. Thank you! May God bless you and your families on this day!


4 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL post Terry! I cannot say enough about how thankful I am to be able to live in this GREAT country! I also want to say how grateful I am to each and every soldier and family of those soldiers who sacrificed their very lives for the freedom we live under. Each and every one of us should be praying for our nation and our soldiers everyday. Terry - I am also amazed at the work God is doing through the lives of people around me. It is just so amazing to see His transforming power at work in the life of our church as well! The book of Psalms does such an incredible job of describing all of these emotions for us. Just pray the Psalms if you ever have any trouble finding the words to say to the Lord! FANTASTIC words for us today Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a beautiful post, Terry. I love the way you broke this down with your headings. I love the way David describes God as his "hiding place." I am sure you all have read Corrie Ten Boon's book "The Hiding Place." It comes to my mind every time I hear those words. What a faith she had and held on to it through horific trials.

    I too am thankful for the men and women that have given their lives over the years for our wonderful Country and appreciate each one that serves in the armed forces today. Happy 4th of July ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed beyond measure, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, we are blessed. So very very blessed! Thank you for a great post, and a shout out to everyone serving. :)

    ReplyDelete