Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, August 5, 2011

A Well-Worn Path

I noticed a peculiar thing today when I opened my Bible. There seems to be a well-worn path, right through the middle!!! Apparently, the Proverbs and Psalms are a popular place?? I noticed marks of many colors, symbols, underlines, dates, a few torn corners, and even a bit of evidence from a spilled beverage. Though I've tried very hard to keep this treasure in good condition, the truth is that things just wear out! ...Especially the things you use the most....

When I was a little girl, I had a friend who lived right next door. She and I played for hours at each other's houses and on each other's swing sets. The walking path that connected my house to hers was well-worn, indeed! I don't know if either of our parents were concerned with the lack of verdure along that side of the yard, but I doubt it would have mattered. Not even a weed could possibly have time to grow where our little sandals traveled so frequently. We loved to spend time together in each other's company. Just seeing that path brought feelings of joy, kindness, encouragement, peace, and love.

The path I found in my Bible this morning brought many of those same feelings. Maybe some of the verses I marked are the same as yours? See if you can finish these verses:
"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of ......."
"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings ......"
"A word fitly spoken is like......."
"If your enemy is hungry...... If your enemy is thirsty.......
For in doing so........"
"It is better to dwell in the corner of a housetop than......."
"Where there is no wood.....and where there is no talebearer........"
This week, I found myself in the basement of our county courthouse for a jury summons. I sat beside a 76-yr old woman, who passed the time with a little white New Testament Bible. Amid all the out-dated magazines, iPads, smart phones, and the like, this woman read her tattered and worn New Testament. I leaned over to my new friend and said, "That book is worn out, but you won't be." That book was well-worn, just like my childhood path. Just seeing that Bible brought feelings of joy, kindness, encouragement, peace, and love.

Today, I am delighted to see the little path between our home, and the neighbors. It means that something on the other side is worth the journey. The fact that this path has been traveled so often, means that there is a wonderful fellowship on the other side. As I walked home on that path tonight, it occurred to me how grateful I am for it. I encourage you to ask God to show you the well-worn paths in your own lives today. Maybe the path He shows you is not physical, but maybe it's a path you follow with your heart. Maybe it's that path right through the middle of His word!

Either way......Don't let the grass grow under your feet, sister!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Jaybrena. I loved your analogy of the path. I too had a path next door to my friend's house growing up and it brought smiles to my face to remember it. Today I have a path next door to my neighbor's house where my dog, Polly, goes everyday to see her "friend," another lab, Ranger!

    I also spent the week on Jury duty. Besides renewing a friendship with a lady I had known in years past (and talking with you), I kept thinking about the "accused" upstairs. How, if they had taken only a portion of these Proverbs to heart and hidden the Wisdom from them in their hearts, they would not be in the situations they found themselves: do not rob; stay away from strong drink; watch your tongue; do not plan evil, and so many more.

    Thank you Lord for your Wisdom given freely to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaybrena, childhood memories are the best! I have known my best friend for almost 40 years (she and I met in the bed babies Sunday School class at 6 weeks old). We lived down the street from each other. We spent a lot of time walking from one house to the other just talking, laughing, and enjoying being kids. Those times were so fun because we actually had to use our imagination. The technology was limited when I was a child- No computers, internet, cellphones, Ipods to keep us "busy".
    Speaking of things being "well-worn"-we have a Bible from 5 generations ago and it is worn out. What a legacy to look in that Bible and see the notes and words written in it. I love things that are antique and worn. Those things can share many stories and history with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let grass grow under your feet...amen! Keep walking. Ladies, I love walking this path with each of you. In Beth Moore's study, "The Inheritance" she talks about how in eternity we will have our "promised land" that we share with our "people." Our people would include those that we have served alongside on this side of heaven. I look forward to the day when we all meet there, and can form new paths on eternal soil! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post so much. It brought many memories to mind to me and to the others who read it also. I lived in many places growing up so there wasn't to many paths from my house to next door. However, in Junior High I became very close friends with a girl from GA.(We lived in MI) I am sure we wore out a path between her house and mine until she moved back to GA. I tried looking for her and couldn't find her but then one day I got a letter from her. 50 years later we are renewing our friendship. I thank God they we got to be reunited this late in our lives.
    I also had paths in my Bible. It was one my husband gave to me and was getting very worn and tattered so after getting another one I put this one up for safe keeping. I pray as we go down this path together may we plant many jewels of wisdom from our journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ladies!!! I just love this post and all the comments!!! I too recalled many memories of worn paths from my life. The one that is most current for me is the worn path from my house out to my horses. :) That is such a special path for me and has so much significance in my life right now. There are of course many, many more that I could tell you about as is the case with all of us! I too have many worn paths throughout my Bible. It is so neat to go back and look at the notes I have made in my Bible throughout the years and to see what God has done in my life and in the life of those I love. Worn paths...what a great concept and such a special part of all of our lives! Thanks for another amazing post Jaybrena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really enjoyed this post and the comments! One of my favorite "new" paths is between my house and Oak Hill Baptist :) We moved to Williamson just over three years ago and I am still enjoying tromping on the weeds between my house and Aerodrome Rd. Sometimes, we need to make new paths in our lives and I'm so thankful for this one and that the path led me to all of you!

    ReplyDelete