Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Meaningless! Meaningless! Everything is meaningless

Okay... I have to admit, when I started reading and studying these chapters, it was a bit depressing to me. What a way to start a new book of the Bible?!?!? After the author introduces himself in verse 1:1, we read the word "meaningless" four times in verse 1:2. There are only 10 words in the whole verse. The author obviously intended to emphasize his point.

Let's explore the word "meaningless" for a moment. The definitions I found are the following:
  • having no meaning or direction or purpose
  • not important
  • lacking any significance
  • lacking motive
Synonyms are: empty, inane, pointless, senseless

Kind of depressing when we think about these words for our own lives, right?

In the context of Ecclesiastes, the author is teaching us that "Life not centered on God is purposeless and meaningless" (from NIV Study Notes). Considering his emphasis in 1:2, he strongly believes this and we can assume his passion about this point is based on personal experience. The author is likely King Solomon. We know that King Solomon was greatly blessed in terms of worldly riches. He had EVERYTHING. However, all of these things did not satisfy his soul.

On Sunday mornings at Oak Hill, Pastor Chris has been teaching us about true joy through a sermon series on Philippians. Yesterday, the key passage was Philippians 3:3-9. In this passage, Paul teaches that all of his worldly gains, are actually a loss in comparison to knowing God personally... to having a personal relationship with his Lord and Savior.

"But whatever was to my profit
I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.
What is more,
I consider everything a loss compared to
the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,
for whose sake I have lost all things.
I consider them rubbish,
that I may gain Christ and be found in him,
not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law,
but that which is found through faith in Christ,
the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."
~Philippians 3:7-9

I think King Solomon and Paul could relate! In contrast to the meaningless of worldly gains and pursuits, true joy is found through salvation in Christ Jesus.

The more I studied these chapters of Ecclesiastes, the more I believe God wanted to speak to me through the "funk" I first felt when reading them. I now understand more of the drastic contrast between temporary gratification and eternal significance. I'm challenged to think of what I spend my time doing and what my motives are in doing so. Am I being selfish in how I spend my time? Are my decisions made in light of eternity or am I seeking temporary happiness? Am I searching for earthly things to satisfy me or am I allowing God to fill me with His life and joy?

Lord, keep us focused on You. Lead us daily to seek You and to make choices that glorify You and are for Your purposes. Help us to be satisfied in knowing You and claiming Your promises.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled."

~Matthew 5:6

4 comments:

  1. "Am I searching for earthly things to satisfy me...?" Some great questions to ask ourselves on a Monday morning, Terry! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry you did a terrific job with these first chapters of this book. I have to agree with you. When I first read it this morning, I almost had a depressed feeling. How terrible to have been King Solomon "in all his glory" and to feel like everything was meaningless. It brought to my mind the quote - "only what's done for Christ will last." A lot to think about ahead. I do, however, love Chapter 3 where we read about a time for everything. Those are beautiful verses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - I love your introduction to this book! You asked some VERY thought-provoking questions that are ones I know I need to ask myself EVERYDAY! The book of Ecclesiastes is not one of my favorite books or one that I turn to often, but it does have an incredible message through all of the depressing talk. It also has some very classic and beautiful verses, especially as Mrs. Barbara was saying in Chapter 3. This book has a message to us from God and I know I am listening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really like Ecclesiates. Maybe that's morbid of me or something...I don't know. I like the perspective and just healthy dose of reality that they bring. In other countries, I don't think people would have the hard time with them that we do here in privileged America. We are so used to "enjoying" this life- and get so bent out of shape when we are prevented from that- that I think we lose perspective that this life really isn't what it's about. Great post terry- excellent questions!

    ReplyDelete