Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Take My Hand


I do not look forward to the day when my son no longer wants to kiss me goodbye or hold my hand. It makes me sad just thinking about it. I love when he reaches up to grab my hand when we are walking away from the car to go into a store or church. Occasionally, we will be walking through a dark space and my son is scared. He cannot see where he's going or what me might run into. I will hold his hand and let him walk behind me as I lead the way through the dark, feeling our way step by step. I enjoy feeling the warmth of his little hand, squeezing his fingers, and being able to keep close tabs on him... knowing he is with me.

The reading today starts out with a picture of God holding Cyrus' hand. God leads Cyrus and uses him in a very special way... to free the Israelites. God went ahead of Cyrus to eliminate (or weaken) the opposition. God also led Cyrus to earthly treasures. Cyrus still had a job to do, but God was clearly preparing Cyrus and the path ahead and was directing his steps. I find it interesting that this Persian king "did not know God", but God ordained him, used him, and rewarded him for this very special purpose.

In contrast, we see that those who don't walk with God (the Babylonian's in this case) become oppressed, shamed, burdened, punished. They receive vengeance, disaster, calamity, catastrophe.

Through these chapters, God tells us over and over, "I am God, and there is no other." He's also our loving heavenly Father who cares deeply for us and wants desperately to hold our hand. He paid the ultimate sacrifice, His son Jesus, so that He can have a personal relationship with us. He wants to protect us from danger, guide us in righteousness, lead us in the dark, teach us truth, and love us tenderly. Are you holding His hand today and trusting Him? Are you allowing Him to love on you? Do you need His comfort? His direction? I do.

Lord, I pray that I will grab your hand today and allow you to be my Father!

I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.
~ Isaiah 48:17

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that He is my God and that He holds my hand through the good times and the bad times. Great post, Terry. It took me back to when I was a child and how I felt comfort holding my dad's hand and then when I had children of my own, holding their hand. Now I am a grandma and a great grandma and I still feel the comfort and pleasure of holding those small little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terry!! These chapters have been so precious to me in times when I needed God's hand to hold! Next to Isaiah 45:2-3: "I will go before you and level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name." I have written "starting new job in CVICU September 05." I was taking a huge professional leap by moving to a much more critical care nursing environment and scared out of my wits. God gave me those verses the morning before I started. He did indeed hold my hand- and the experience grew me and prepared me for so much. I am not a brave person- and i often doubt my own abilities. Lately, I have felt very unworthy of a lot God has asked me to do. Just this morning I was on my face asking for Him to work despite me and for guidance. Then I read these chapters. :) And then this evening I read your post. What a great reminder of a great God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, what a beautiful picture you have painted for us in today's post! If we could only capture those precious moments with our children when they are young - too soon they grow up - but then (smile) there are grandchildren to start over with again.

    This is such a beautiful picture of God holding our hand and guiding us - He always reaches out to us - we just have to take hold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love it when my kindergarten kids grab ahold of my hand when we are walking to lunch or walking to go outside. It is such an amazing feeling! There is nothing like it!! And yes, HE IS GOD AND THERE IS NO OTHER!!! Amen!!! Wonderful post Terry...as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect analogy ;) How we need Him every day, and thank you Terry...and Natalie for sharing your heart with us. It gives me courage to trust Him for more!!!

    ReplyDelete