Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Cornerstone

These chapters here in Isaiah have been hard for me to read. I don't like battles; I don't like seeing people suffer, and I don't like watching people being disciplined. Judah and Israel have strayed far from God with idols and false worship. And now God tells Isaiah that he is about to discipline them - his chosen people - using the Assyrians - a hard pill for them to swallow.



God's discipline varies from situation to situation, from person to person I think. Sometimes, it is harsh - and sometimes it is light. When we discipline our children, it is like that - the punishment fits the crime. No matter how God decides to show His discipline, He does it in love, and does it to make us better people, to teach us, and to help us grow - similar to how we earthly parents teach our children. It is no different.


(Clip art from ChristArt.com)

In Isaiah 28:16 we hear the Lord speak about the coming Messiah - Jesus Christ, the Cornerstone. I am laying in Zion a foundation, a Stone, a tested Stone, a precious Cornerstone a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed. What a wonderful promise here in the midst of this disciplining. If we will only "trust" in this sure foundation instead of riches, or possessions, or our own "smarts" how much better we would be. Do you sometimes try and rely on your own strength instead of God's? Where do you put your trust when armies of your world bear down on you? Do you trust with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding on our Cornerstone?


Isaiah 30:21 holds a verse that has always spoken to me. And your ears shall hear a word behind you saying 'This is the way, walk in it." Behind our house is a dense patch of woods. When my grandkids were younger, we cut a long winding path through these woods and marked the trees on the path with red yarn - we called it the Indian Trail. When they would come for a visit, they wanted to walk on the "trail" - but they didn't want me to come with them. They wanted to see if they could follow the path all around the woods and find their way back to the house! This verse reminds me of that trail. Without the red markings, they would not know "the way." Without God's guidance, we will not find our way either.


But how do we find "the way"? We listen for God to speak to us. When we are disobedient, we won't hear from God. When we are too busy "doing" rather than listening for His voice, we won't hear from Him. When we are not in the Word, where He speaks to us, there will be silence. I want to hear His voice. I want to be obedient. I want to follow the right "trail." I don't want to take the wrong path or lose my way in this confusing, dangerous, and "wooded" world. I want to know THE WAY intimately, and I want to walk on that path daily. Help me Lord.

5 comments:

  1. Great post barbara! I love your story about the path. There are tons of paths through the woods at my Granny's that I loved roaming. I still do! The thing about paths in woods- is that if they aren't trod regularly, they grow over. After my grandparents sold their cows, who had made many of those paths and trod them daily, the woods aren't nearly as easy to navigate. Like you said, we have to walk the path daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I too am struggling with this book of the Bible. I told my mom the other day, "Isaiah is a TOUGH book." She agreed :)

    As we continue to read through the Bible, I'm reminded of the promise that "the Word of God is living and active..." (Heb 4:12). Today God really spoke to me in verse 30:15. It says, "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." I need to hear that today.

    Barbara, great summary and beautiful post for some tough chapters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, enjoyed reading your post it was great. The word cornerstone use to confuse me. I thought it would be where it sounds like; a stone on the corner of a building. When I was in Philadelphia, our buggy driver explained what it was. In the windows with an arch around them, the cornerstone is on the top holding the others in place. I am glad we can look to God as our cornerstone in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post Mrs. Barbara! Loved your insights on these chapters and the verses that you pulled out from them. I do try to rely on my own strength way too much and just never seem to learn the lesson to lean on the Lord! Ugh!!! I also loved your comments about hearing the Lord by being in His Word. So VERY, VERY true and a lesson I hope we are all learning as we read through the Bible this year. Love the pictures too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Barbara, loved your post! In chapel at our school Wednesday, the speaker spoke of having a relationship with God through daily communication. More than just "words." A true relationship means we are seeking His will through His daily Word and a consistent prayer life. Thank you for all the lessons you teach me through the Bible blog and sharing your thoughts on these chapters.

    ReplyDelete