Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Lord's Day of Judgement

These chapters of Isaiah paint a pretty gruesome picture of what is going to (and did) happen to the nations who have sinned against God and who oppressed the Israelites. To me, it just seems like chaos would be everywhere! We know the Israelites were not perfect either and they received their own punishment, but God also delivered punishment and judgement to the nations who fought Israel.

In the midst of the bad news for these non-Jewish nations, God promised that He would have compassion on the Israelites (14:1). As I was reading through these chapters, I was reminded of how God saved the Israelites from the bondage of Pharaoh in Egypt. Once again, we are reminded that the Lord saves His People. God is possessive and protective of His People.

So, what can we glean from these (in my opinion) rather difficult passages?
  • There are consequences of sin and disobedience to God's instructions. God is just.
  • God has a plan and it will be completed. We can rest in this.
  • God will deal with His enemies. He can handle them!
  • God has compassion on and for His People. Thank you, Lord!
  • The proud will be humbled and the lowly will be victorious. A promise to claim.
As a believer of Jesus Christ, I find these verses comforting:

"The oppressor will come to an end,
and destruction will cease;
the aggressor will vanish from the land.
In love a throne will be established;
in faithfulness a man will sit on it -
one from the house of David -
one who in judging seeks justice
and speeds the cause of righteousness."
~Isaiah 16:4-5

For Damascus, Isaiah wrote the following: "Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins" (17:1) and "You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress" (17: 10). I'm reminded that if God is not in something (our lives, our plans, our relationships), they are worth nothing... like a heap of ruins.

Lord, thank you for your compassion on us and for saving us. Thank you for reminding us that we are your people and we belong to you. Continue to draw us closer to you through your Word. Give us the strength to be obedient to You in our lives. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, a jealous God! He is possessive and protective, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, I love your comment "God has a plan and it will be completed." All of our fussing and fuming and worrying is for naught - His will will be completed. I am so glad we have read all about the Israelites and their wars and kings before we began this book - it lets me know that God's plan is the way things will be. He is in charge - always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I also loved the verses, "in love a throne will be established..." we still have this to look forward to. It's nice to know you're on the winning team. Am I living like I've won?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that God protects and takes care of his own. In reading about the Israelites and what they did, God still forgave them, so now we know that we can go to Him also and ask for forgiveness of our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive us. Like I have heard before, "I have read the Book and we win" I am so glad that I am on the winning side, aren't you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry - great summation of these chapters! I love your bullet points that you made. You REALLY nailed all of those! I also could not agree more with your comment that without God nothing has meaning. Boy have I learned that the HARD way!!! And I take great peace in the fact that we are victorious...period!

    ReplyDelete