Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Is the LORD not in Zion?


Do you know that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know you've done something wrong? I have to admit that I have that feeling while reading these chapters in Jeremiah. I'm not sure if it's in empathy for the Israelites who had strayed away from God or if it's for something going on in my own life. Either way, there are some tough questions and good food for thought in these verses.

I can sense God's frustration through these words, can't you? In Jeremiah 8:4, I believe God is telling His people that it is natural for a child of God to return to his heavenly father. The Israelites were refusing to return to God. This was not natural. God strongly warns about trusting in false words, false gods, and especially in their salvation through the physical temple structure itself. This lead me to think about what things in my life I trust in other than God Himself... maybe my health, my family, my job, the things I "do" for God, and maybe simply the existence of the physical church building. This verse struck me:

But my people do not know the requirements of the Lord.
~ Jeremiah 8:7

God is clearly stating that His judgement is because of Israel's disobedience and very bad choices they were making. Just like Pastor Chris said yesterday, these words are still very applicable to us today.

Since they have rejected the word of the Lord,
what kind of wisdom do they have?
~ Jeremiah 8:9

I'm challenged today to spend more time studying God's word. I want to know God's requirements. I want to follow His ways. I want to be in His will. God's provides protection and blessings for His children through obedience to Him. I don't want to rely on worldly wisdom or trust in temporal things.

Through these tough words, God also gives some good news and promises for His people.
  • Reform your ways... and I will let you live in this place.
  • If you really change your ways... I will let you live in this place.
  • Obey me and I will be your God and you will be my people.
  • Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you.
"...But let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the Lord who exercises kindness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the Lord.
~Jeremiah 9:24

Lord, thank your for your word and your grace and salvation through Jesus! Teach us your ways. Draw us closer to you through obedience to your word. Show us areas of our lives where we are not trusting in you alone and teach us.

4 comments:

  1. As I read these words this morning, I thought of the many times I have ALREADY heard this instruction from the Lord. Over and again, He tells the people (us, included) "If you will keep my ways....just do what I say.....just go where I tell you.....I have the plan.....follow Me." It's like He's all but pleading with us to keep covenant with Him. I'm so thankful He reminds me again, and doesn't abandon me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a saying "those who don't know History are doomed to repeat it." God earnestly wants us to learn from these words of caution! I'm convicted and reminded as well Terry. And those last few verses stuck in my mind- "let him who boasts..." like the choir sang yesterday- in Christ Alone- is our hope found. All other ground is shifting sand. I'm claiming and resting in that today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post today, Terry. Especially the verse 9:24. God does delight in kindness to His people. I've experienced and seen this time and again. All He wants is for us to follow Him and be obedient - and I always try to make it harder than it is. His kindness flows so freely and how thankful I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh yes Terry...I too need to look at my life and examine where I am not totally trusting in God alone. I just love Jeremiah 9:24 that you quoted. Some GREAT verses come out of this book of the Bible! May we heed the warnings of Jermiah as well!!!

    ReplyDelete