Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Rock Eternal

Growing up, I spent summers at my Granny's farm in northeastern Georgia. It sat in the very base of the "foothills" of the Appalachian mountains. Two of my favorite haunts on the property are the "rock pile" and the "rock pile" at the creek. The boulders are often larger than cars, fun to climb on, and there is one special rock that sits right in the middle of the creek. It's kind of tricky to get to, but once you make it out there you can enjoy the quiet sounds to the water running by and even dip your feet in it to cool off. Those rocks were there hundreds of thousands of years before I ever even had eyes to see them. They will be there long after my eyes have closed their last. They have withstood floods, hail, wind, snow...earthquakes probably. Nothing shakes them. It takes an inordinate amount of work to even chisel them, much less wear them down. They are, for all practical purposes, immovable. Solid. Steady.

Today's passage started by outlining the destruction of Tyre. Tyre was a wealthy city, an important trading seaport. I can imagine that they thought their city was untouchable. Safe. Protected by their wealth and importance in the ancient world.
The Lord Almighty planned it (the destruction of Tyre) to bring low the pride of all glory and to humble all who are renowned on the earth. Isaiah 24:9
God wanted to prove to them, and the earth, that their wealth was really nothing to stand on. So what do we stand on?

We read on to learn of the destruction of the earth as a whole, and also the glory that awaits those to hold on to the promises of God. We have a rock. Steady, immovable, and solid.

You will keep in perfect peace
him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord forever,
for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.
Isaiah 25:3-4

"On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand."





6 comments:

  1. I Love those verses you posted; you will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast… I find so much peace in the middle of trials when I keep my mind focused on the Lord. It is not easy to do though. Thanks for sharing your "rock pile" story. My favorite part is "It's kind of tricky to get to, but once you make it out there you can enjoy the quiet sounds to the water running by and even dip your feet in it to cool off." This brings so much to my mind about our relationship with Christ. Once we figure out how to rest on Him we can enjoy the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed your post, Natalie. I could almost hear the water flowing around me and the birds singing in the air. I am so glad we have a solid rock to stand on and cling to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story of the rocks and the creek and can just feel that ice cold water running over my feet! Great post Natalie.

    I was struck by the verse about the Lord "planned it to bring low the pride . . . of Tyre" - I kept thinking about America and how we as a country depend on our wealth and military to keep us safe from destruction. We have a lot to learn, don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The destruction that is written about in these verses should cause us to tremble with what is eventually going to happen to this earth due to the wicked and sinful ways of man. This should also cause us to want to share the Gospel with as many people as possible as quickly as possible so that God can save people from the coming wrath. The "harvest" is ripe...what are you doing to "bring it in" quickly? Great post as always Natalie...I really enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too could hear the water in the creek flowing around the rock in the middle. I can picture you (Natalie) perched up on top of it just listening and meditating. What a beautiful picture and wonderful analogy of God' provisions and promises to us!

    Mindy, your point about sharing the gospel is a great one too! Thanks for the reminder and challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete