Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Good Luck Charms?


After I read the chapters for today I began to think about times that I have followed a superstition or had a "good luck charm" and maybe didn’t even realize it. How many of you have ever owned a rabbit’s foot keychain? I never owned one but I thought they were cool. They even came in different colors. How familiar are these words, “Wish I may, Wish I might Have the wish I wish tonight?” I can remember searching the early night sky to find the first star to appear so I could make a wish. What about finding a penny on tails? Do you pick it up or leave it? These days I pick it up and look for more. But I remember as a little girl walking by them thinking it would bring me bad luck if I picked it up. Some superstitions are just good advice to me. I mean, to walk under a ladder is just dangerous because you could knock it over. Putting shoes on the table is not smart because of all the filth on the bottom of a shoe. (Do not place shoes upon a table, for this will bring bad luck for the day, cause trouble with your mate and you might even lose your job as a result.) Now, what about sneezing? Did you know that saying “God bless you” comes from a superstition that the devil can enter your body when you sneeze so saying God bless you drives the devil away? Here are a few more to think about:

If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake with the first puff you will get your wish.
If someone is sweeping the floor and sweeps over your feet, you'll never get married.
Evil spirits can't harm you when you stand inside a circle.
Don't step on a crack on a sidewalk or walkway. Step on a crack Break your mother's back.
If an eyelash falls out, put it on the back of the hand, make a wish and throw it over your shoulder. If it flies off the hand the wish will be granted.
Oh the number 13!
How is fear of the number thirteen demonstrated?
More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.
Many airports skip the 13th gate.
Airplanes have no 13th aisle.
Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.
Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue
Oh NO today’s reading ends on the 13th chapter! (Are you worried?)

I had never heard of this one; An acorn at the window will keep lightning out. This is such silliness because read this:

But God made the earth by his power;
he founded the world by his wisdom
and stretched out the heavens by his understanding.

When he thunders, the waters in the heavens roar;

he makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth.

He sends lightning with the rain

and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

Jeremiah 10:12-13


We have no control over lightning. We should not fear the number thirteen or cracks on the sidewalk (except the big ones that can trip you). Our blessings come from the Lord and when we desire his ways he is faithful. All these superstitions, to me, are like idol worship. People put faith in these silly beliefs instead of putting their faith in what is truth - God. There is nothing wrong with blowing out candles on a birthday cake as long as you thank the one who gave you the breath to do it. I like Jeremiah’s prayer at the end of chapter 10.

LORD, I know that people’s lives are not their own;
it is not for them to direct their steps.
Discipline me, LORD, but only in due measure— not in your anger, or you will reduce me to nothing.

After all the hard work Josiah did to reform the people, they went right back to their idols and wicked ways. Jeremiah was giving the people warning of the destruction coming their way. The Lord even told Jeremiah not to pray for the people because he would not listen. The Lord was angry and it was time to bring judgement. The people wanted to kill Jeremiah for prophesying their doom. The proud hearted get very angry when they are told they are wrong. This message was ruining their idol-making business. If you tell people the rabbit’s foot is not lucky then no one will buy it.

Chapter 12 makes me uncomfortable. I relate too well to Jeremiah’s complaints. Sometimes I have thoughts like “Why should I walk all the way back in the store to pay for this one little garlic bulb that I forgot to pay for when it seems like everybody else gets away with so much worse and seems to live happier lives because of it?” “Why do I have to say I am sorry for my sarcastic words when they are the one that is more wrong?” “When will I get a taste of victory?” If you will notice the theme in all those questions is the word “I.” The downfall for all man - himself/myself. Just like God told Jeremiah, I feel him telling me:

“If you have raced with men on foot
and they have worn you out,
how can you compete with horses?
If you stumble in safe country,
how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?

The use of the linen belt in chapter 13 illustrated the destiny of Judah. The pride of the people made them utterly useless. I want to share the notes from my Life Application Study Bible.
“While it is good to respect our country and our church, our loyalties always carry a hidden danger - arrogance. When is pride harmful? When it causes us to
1. look down on others
2. be selfish with our resources
3. force our solutions on others’ problems
4. think God is blessing us because of our own merits
5. be content with our plans rather than seeking God’s plans.”

The scariest thing about pride is that when the pattern of living becomes so normal and satisfying that someone loses the desire to change at all and no longer fears the consequence. The consequences only cause them to fight more for their pride. It is like a blindness.

Thank you Lord for your precious Word. Thank you that it is available to us and we have the freedom to read it. Help me to understand your message and apply it to my life daily.

5 comments:

  1. "The proud hearted get very angry when they are told they are wrong. This message was ruining their idol-making business. If you tell people the rabbit’s foot is not lucky then no one will buy it." .....so true. I can go all day on that message, Amy.

    Thank You for Your Word, Lord! May you find me to be teachable, and willing to remove any root of a proud heart before it does damage to my relationship with You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These chapters struck a chord, as did your post Amy! Jeremiah said not to be like the nations- how many small ways do we compromise?! You pointed out some great ones, Amy. I'm with you Jaybrena. Lord, continue to teach me and show me- even the small areas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember some of these superstitions and some I never heard of. I know some of them we did like it was a game and other times, we would do what it said we wasn't suppose to do to prove how brave we was. Some of these things seem pretty silly now but kids see it differently. Some go on to grow up with serious superstitions. They don't want to believe there is a God in heaven who created this great wonderful universe but they think if they carry around a rabbit's foot they will have good luck. Wasn't very lucky for the rabbit was it.
    Amy, It was a great post, Amy because it makes us open our eyes to our own faults and face them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your post Amy!!!! The stuff about superstitions is SOOO true! We are always looking for stuff to take the place of God in our lives. He should be our "good luck charm"! I could not agree with you more about the pride issue. If you think about it, ALL sins come back to pride. I think that is why God hates it so much. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with Ms. Boots comments - wasn't lucky for the rabbit, and Amy, what a wonderful post - and I loved your pictures!! Pride goes before a fall - how true that is and how often we let pride sneak into our lives in so many different areas. Lord, help me to be watchful in every area of my life.

    ReplyDelete