Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, August 12, 2011

He Will Teach Us His Ways

The words of Isaiah 2:3 are so precious to me. Each year, for Thanksgiving, our family packs up the quilts and hiking boots and heads for the hills! This is not because we are running away FROM anything, but rather running TO something. It started because we had a strong desire to do something "different" for Thanksgiving and celebrate the holiday in a little more "traditional" manner. It was on one of the very first trips that I was sitting in a bay window overlooking the creek in the backyard when the Lord showed me this verse in Isaiah. I shared it with my husband that evening, and it wasn't long before it was printed on special paper and posted on our rented-cabin-frig-door! Every year, it is placed in a special place for us to be reminded why we are there.

As I began reading today's portion of scripture, these words were again brought to my mind. But, I must say, that the first chapter of Isaiah is one of the most frightening I've read to date! How had Judah come this far, only to fall this far?? How is that possible after all they had been through with Jehovah? He's had enough of their futile sacrifices! He is sickened by their "acts of worship"! Their festivals and celebrations are appalling to Him!!! The faithful city has become a harlot???!! Whoa! Those are some really strong words, ladies. I wouldn't recognize this people group as the same one in Exodus and Deuteronomy, if I didn't know better. Did they recognize themselves? They seem to almost be attempting to bribe God into blessing them based on their false humility and continuance of sin?? Even worse.........I see myself in this story. Sin is the worst captor.

Chapter two speaks of the future house of God and the Day of the Lord. This is where we find that special verse 2:3 about seeking the Lord, by climbing the tallest mountains and walking His path because we long to know Him more, and follow His ways. It reminds us of God's majesty, righteousness and holiness. Chapter three picks right back up with judgement on Judah and Jerusalem. If the words in chapter one didn't make you shudder, then certainly chapters three and four will! Such is the destiny of the harlot city, if not for the grace of God. Praise the Lord for the end of Chapter four! Matthew Henry says that Christ is the Branch, grace and the gospel spring from it, while God saves a holy seed. Such things are so intriguing to me, and I'll dare not try and explain the mind of God. I will say that I am ever grateful for His compassion and His mercy.

Our Thanksgiving trips are the single-most meaningful event in the life of our family, each year. We go up to the mountains, expecting to grow closer to Him. I look forward to them, because of the bonds that are tightened as we spend these days together. (It is not unusual for me to begin planning these trips on the way home from one!) It is a time when we re-focus ourselves on the things of God. We thank Him for the wonderful blessings through the year, and we celebrate His faithfulness. We find ways to allow Him to teach us His ways, so that we can walk on His paths. Think about the times that you have made an intentional effort to know Him more......were you looking forward to your next time together?? .....did you immediately start planning for your next journey?? .....oh, that we would long to know Him more!!!

6 comments:

  1. Jaybrena, what a wonderful testimony! God certainly does great things when we intentionally seek him out. That was what he wanted from the Israelites- not their half-hearted offerings and festivals that no longer reflected true worship of Him. May that be the desire of our hearts, every day. It was certainly "switching gears" this morning as we leave psalms, proverbs and ecclesiastes behind and begin the books of prophecy. What a journey! Lord, may it continue to be the desire of our hearts to seek you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaybrena, that was a great post and I could just see in my mind the trip that you and your family takes every Thanksgiving. It is such a great idea. I think we would all benefit from taking the time out of our busy crazy life and go away just to seek out God and get closer to Him. I don't know about the rest of you but my bags are packed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's go BOOTS!!!!!! :) And, yes...I didn't read the introduction to Ecclesiastes before I jumped right in! I was like, "What?!?" Had to back up and re-group, Natalie. Prophecy.....much different, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaybrena, what a sweet tradition you have started with your family. Something your children will always remember.

    It was hard to read some of the first verses in Isaiah this morning - I kept thinking about our country and how far we have strayed in so many ways from the beginning of our Christian nation. Compared with the Israelites we seem to be right on track. Hopefully there is a remnant that will remember who we belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh...Isaiah...one of my favorite books in the Bible! It is definitely "switching gears" as Natalie said! It SO HARD to believe we are already this far in the Bible...I just cannot say enough about how blessed I have been by this journey together! I see so much of myself in the ways of the Isrealites that is frightens me. I too deserve all of God's wrath and judgement except for the work of Jesus on the cross. Mrs. Barbara - I think your comparison of the Israelites to our country and the state we are in is right on! Another wonderful post Jaybrena...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaybrena, I just loved your post! The tradition of Thanksgiving and expecting to get closer to God is AWESOME!! What memories and a legacy you are leaving for your family. My immediate and extended family do the same type of thing at Christmas time. (I have lost count of how many people are on the trip now-with new family members and newborns :). We plan the trip a year in advance for the time right after Christmas. The family bonds and time to share and catch up with each other plus the Bible studies are grand. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete