Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

A TRAVELING WE WILL GO

Acts 1:8 You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria. Paul and Timotheus are busy in these chapters doing what the Lord had instructed them to do; going to many different places telling the good news to Jews and Gentiles alike. Jesus was risen and eternal life could be theirs by believing on His name. It was not an easy road for them. They was beaten, thrown into prison, and ran out of town but they continued on their journey doing the Lord's work.

The same instructions in Acts 1:8 are true for us today. We are to tell others the good news in Griffin, in GA, and to the ends of the earth. I told you of the 13 that was killed in the Philipines. They had went down their proclaiming the Word of God and from one little church 150 baby churches was formed. They was fulfilling God's instuctions to be His witness. Their journey is complete now as they are received by our Lord and Savior as I am sure, He is telling them; "Good job my good and faithful servant."

When I think of traveling for God, I think of my own experience of going to Belize twice. I did not want to go on a mission trip. It was my son who put it in my mind by saying I should go on a mission trip. I told him no that I had never felt led to go on one. He asked me if I prayed about it and my reply was no I didn't because I did not want to go. So I prayed; "God, you don;t want me to go, do You? If you do, please don't send me to Belize. They eat rats down there." God has got to have a sense of humor. How He must of laughed at me when that is exactly where he sent me. He also supplied the funds for me to go. I can now say that it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

As we travel this road of life, it may not lead us to far distant shores. Wherever our road leads us, we are to be the Lord's witness just as Paul and Timotheus was. No matter if the road be rocky and rough or smooth, we must travel it remembering we are God's witness to a lost and dying world. Everything we say or do should be a reflection of God's love. So, as a traveling we go, may we never forget that we are God's witness no matter where we are.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Ms. Boots. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends in the Philippines. What hope to know they are with Jesus and they're suffering is over. There is a lot about the faith of the early church that inspires me. If only I were so bold. God, help me be bolder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry "their." I hate when I do that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, I did not know these people. They were all pastors and their wives from my daughter's church. They are all grieving over the loss and praying for those in the hospital. Even though we may not know them personally, they are our brothers and sisters in Christ. I thank you all for your prayers and hope you will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are two great points in these chapters about the worthiness and validity of scripture... 1. Paul "reasoned with them from the Scriptures". 2. The Berean Jews "received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

    May we be careful to use scriptures as the basis for our persuasion and confirmation of what others teach!

    Boots, this is a great statement: Everything we say or do should be a reflection of God's love. So true! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Ms. Boots! I LOVE your comment where you said, "...may we never forget that we are God's witnesses no matter where we are." SO TRUE!!! There were also a few things that struck me in these packed couple of chapters. In chapter 16 verse 7 it says that the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to go into Bithynia. This is VERY intriguing to me...that they were SO in tune with the Holy Spirit that they could discern that He was telling them NOT to go there. Do I hear the Holy Spirit that clearly in my life?

    Also, it is so incredible to me that Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns while locked up in prison. This is just astounding to me. Is this what I would do if I were put in prison for Jesus?

    It appears as though Luke has now joined Paul, as the pronoun switches to "we" from "they" in chapter 16 verse 10...interesting!

    Great post Ms. Boots & I love that you were obedient in your mission trips to Belize. I am continuing to pray for the horrible tragedy in the Phillipines as well!

    ReplyDelete